gas station attendant cracked me up

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 05:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default gas station attendant cracked me up

it's full service in NJ..."Fill it premium, please."

She goes, "Your car smells so good. You have it detailed? Leather prep?" Now I have not heard that term before, leather prep.

Can't make it up. I guess that a week later the Zaino Leather in a Bottle still can be smelled (not by me I guess poor sense or used to it). I sure hope these guys stay in business, another one of those glad someone told me about it type of product...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Old 11-29-17, 08:13 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

The odor does linger for awhile. I find it pleasant but my youngest daughter doesn't care for it at all...

Last edited by Gronemus; 11-30-17 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I didn't care...
Old 11-30-17, 12:34 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Gas station attendant? What the heck? I haven't see one of those since... dang... I don't remember when.
Old 11-30-17, 04:27 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Gas station attendant? What the heck? I haven't see one of those since... dang... I don't remember when.
Yeah apparently up north in some places you can't fill up your own tank they use attendants.
Old 11-30-17, 05:14 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Originally Posted by e60bmw
Yeah apparently up north in some places you can't fill up your own tank they use attendants.
Oregon and New Jersey, illegal for a consumer to fill their own tanks.

both operate under very old laws, Oregon's from 1951 and Jersey from 1949. Both are the same law:

"because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures."
"any person other than the owner, operator or employee [of a dispensary where class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail]" is prohibited from using "pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container."

fines are as high as $500.

sadly however, they are hardly "attendants" they don't attend to anything but pumping the fuel, have never had them clean my windows, check my tire pressure or oil level, or do anything but fill the tank.. oh wait, I have had "attendants" in both states yell at me and tell me to get back in my "******in" car because it's illegal for me to pump my own fuel.
Old 11-30-17, 09:10 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a "native Oregonian" and at the age of 15, I had my first paying job as a "gas station attendant". (picking berries did not count)

While far from a glamorous position, which I lied about my age (had to be 16) to get, it taught me a lot about life. Plus, I had a great place to work on my own car. (yep, did that too at 15 but obeyed the signs and never got caught except by my folks. Man did I catch heck then!) Really one of the downsides of not having station attendants is that many young people do not have any choices for on the job training and development of people skills. Dealing with demanding customers is something every one should be trained to handle. Couple that with outrageous minimum wage laws and it is no wonder that many young American people are not able to compete with their counterparts from other countries where training wages are permitted. That plus they don't wish to work because they do not have to work. A trophy for every child mentality is not a viable aid to parenting, rather it demeans those kids that do try hard to get ahead. Why try if everyone gets the same carrot?

Finally and the most important thing with regards to gas stations and the oil conglomerate that controls them is that in Oregon, the advertising strategy embedded message from the big oil during votes to repeal the existing law, was that gas would be cheaper if you pumped your own gas.....

That never happened. Bordering states were always the same price if not a few pennies higher. You got out In the rain and got soaked literally and figuratively!

As a young man it was a good job, except for the asses that always expected something for nothing. With service stations no longer on the map, the only place those folks can go to feel superior now is to a restaurant.

Yeah, I cleaned a few toilets. Checked a lot of tires and sold a ton of worthless additives to the suckers that did not know their muffler bearings were loose. Made a quarter a can.... Good money when Americans were stepping foot on the moon. (a particularly slow day as I remember).

Getting shouted at for trying to fill your own tank? Ah, what a privilege we all had and let go of with a marketing strategy that shows us just how gullible we have indeed become. Kept some kids working, getting a little exercise and out of trouble. All we had to do was ask them to get that spot they'd missed on the windshield. Tires at 32lbs? No problem. But sir, you need to oil those muffler bearings with a can of lube-aid! I'll just add it to your card and you'll notice the difference immediately!

One born every second comes to mind....

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 12-01-17, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

In NJ, you can self serve diesel. But they can't stand people who start to pump their own gasoline. At Costco, there are warnings.

I hate self serve. It probably doubles if not triples the time it takes to fill up. And, I can't stand attendants banging the fuel door--it's 2017, almost all cars today, you just press it to release, press it to close, you don't bang it. Then there's when the pump stops early, they turn the nozzle upside down...that I'm fearful of it falling out and hitting the side.

I've noticed it's a real advantage if the fuel door is on the pass. side. We could debate on a German car forum as to why it's such.....man cuts the wait time in 1/4....

Fuel is one area where I call economic shenanigans. Long ago, the delta with PA and NJ was always 20 cents. Then PA went to the highest tax in the nation, and it was 40 cents.

NJ added 23 cents last year, and regular went up 23 cents, premium went up < 23 cents, and the delta with PA closed. Today? 40+ cents again!

Cheapest gas in Phila. is now DE, but we don't go there often nor regularly.

p.s. my first job was as a busboy and I learned some valuable lessons. And there was an underlying Summer of '42 theme too--I loved carrying orders out to those 30 y.o. soccer moms' cars!
Old 12-01-17, 06:45 AM
Legender
Racer

That's interesting... obviously I don't get up north much...thanks for the education.
And how does that work for motorcycles? Same rules apply?
Old 12-01-17, 07:26 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

That's interesting... obviously I don't get up north much...thanks for the education.
And how does that work for motorcycles? Same rules apply?
Ten out of 10 times the attendant will hand you the nozzle for your bike, sometimes even with a towel or rag if asked for politely.

My above semi rant is dated to the time when we all still had Service Stations. Places where you could "trust your car to the man that wears the star" kinda places. Now, fueling depots are nothing more than overpriced mini marts with quarts of malt liquor on ice near the door and burner phones. No vehicle service whatsoever. You are lucky if they even have towels and kinda fresh water in the window cleaning buckets.Forget about free air to check tire pressures. And god forbid that you raise the hood to check your levels....the suits will go crazy just as soon as they get off their phones telling you to get outta the way.

A new fuel depot slogan: PayMore for LotsLess! Brought to you by the "international fuel discrepancy price fixing organization" . A lobby without chairs. And Americans bought into that in the mid 70's and never looked back.

Doug k
Old 12-01-17, 09:22 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
it's full service in NJ..."Fill it premium, please."

She goes, "Your car smells so good. You have it detailed? Leather prep?" Now I have not heard that term before, leather prep.

Can't make it up. I guess that a week later the Zaino Leather in a Bottle still can be smelled (not by me I guess poor sense or used to it). I sure hope these guys stay in business, another one of those glad someone told me about it type of product...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
How do you apply the Z-10? Just wipe down the seats and the apply the Z-10?
Old 12-01-17, 11:04 AM
Legender
Racer

Thanks LTD76Gold for the info... been a looooong time since I've heard the 'man with the star' slogan. That goes way back.
I agree with you on all points about current 'fuel depots'. I tend to find one close by or on my route and use it consistently when I find a decent one. On the road, a whole 'nother story.
Backwoods area on cycle trips at times we often run across old stations/pumps. They have no idea what a card reader is and have to fire up the modem to run a credit card. I always carry extra cash for those stops. Then I'm only buying 3-4 gallons so not a big deal.

I think there are a couple of you tube videos on the Zaino... I've not seen them or used Zaino, so can't speak to their correctness.
Old 12-03-17, 05:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
How do you apply the Z-10? Just wipe down the seats and the apply the Z-10?
Yep, even Zaino (ain't it funny when folks are honest) suggests you don't overapply it in excess. My theory is leather is of poor quality in just about all cars, it's mostly vinyl (look at many 10+ y.o. cars, the "piping" if you will is often worn out on the driver exterior side due to the driver getting in and out for years). However, the application of a "protectant" really reduces the friction between clothing, and the seat, thereby helping it to last longer. But the smell makes it seem like the car is new.

I've swung the other way on Top Tier, especially since now it's not just Shell and Exxon which cost 20 cents more than everyone else. No more being abused by people saying if you use Costco or Citgo, you don't deserve to drive a BMW (forum 2007-2010). And as mentioned, someone in the business explained to me why the same tanker truck can fill up a Exxon and also a US Gas (additives at the terminal).

Interesting too, in NJ, anybody can simply pull into a warehouse club and get filled up. No membership card required. What a bonus if you live near say a Costco, you don't even pay a fee to save 10-15 cents/gal. and you get Top Tier.
Old 12-03-17, 07:01 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Deep South Texas... The land of 40 to 60 cents more for premium gas...

I asked one of the managers of a local depot just how much in percentage regular outsells premium? Her reply was less than 5 percent. Makes me wonder just how "fresh" that fuel is. Seems to run ok. But I do not let them get into my pockets every fill up either.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-03-17, 07:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ltd76gold
Deep South Texas... The land of 40 to 60 cents more for premium gas...

I asked one of the managers of a local depot just how much in percentage regular outsells premium? Her reply was less than 5 percent. Makes me wonder just how "fresh" that fuel is. Seems to run ok. But I do not let them get into my pockets every fill up either.

​​​​​​​
What I had been curious about for years, let's say you see "Mystic Transport" delivering gas to Exxon. A little later, you see "Mystic Transport" at a knock-off dealer, US Gas. What's going on? Person explained to me that yes the same tanker line can service everybody, but when they are picking up for Exxon, its additive package is added at the terminal. Hence, the branded, and unbranded gasoline, that starts as the same gas at the terminal....

Again, when NJ raised the gas tax 23 cents in 2016, the next day regular was 23 cents more. Premium was less than 23 cents more. This was the substitution effect and elasticity of demand. However, over time? The spread went back up to where it was prior to the increase. These are real economic effects in action. Imagine we learned all this in HS, yet in HS, we didn't understand very well.
Old 12-04-17, 07:42 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I had been curious about for years, let's say you see "Mystic Transport" delivering gas to Exxon. A little later, you see "Mystic Transport" at a knock-off dealer, US Gas. What's going on? Person explained to me that yes the same tanker line can service everybody, but when they are picking up for Exxon, its additive package is added at the terminal. Hence, the branded, and unbranded gasoline, that starts as the same gas at the terminal....

Again, when NJ raised the gas tax 23 cents in 2016, the next day regular was 23 cents more. Premium was less than 23 cents more. This was the substitution effect and elasticity of demand. However, over time? The spread went back up to where it was prior to the increase. These are real economic effects in action. Imagine we learned all this in HS, yet in HS, we didn't understand very well.
Has it been that long since they raised the gas tax? That really pissed me off for a couple of hours then I moved on lol. It seems like the price of gas has gone up instead of down and we are in December. Some stations in NJ are only 10 cents cheaper than stations in NYC. I guess they are still gouging us from Harvey.

Quick Reply: gas station attendant cracked me up