LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

SUNCORE air to coil conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 07:10 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SUNCORE air to coil conversion?

Anyone use this kit? How is the ride quality?
Old 08-25-17, 12:33 PM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 08-25-17, 02:22 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had them installed for a while now. They ride pretty good but my basis for comparison was a blown bag in the rear and the front being locked up, so anything is better than that. They're re-labeled Monroe OE Spectrum struts which are stamped Made in Japan. And when I say re-labeled, I mean Suncore slaps a sticker right over the Monroe sticker. One thing I don't like about them is the front is up really high, probably higher than with the bags all the way up. Because of the stiffness of the springs, the front doesn't absorb bumps as smoothly as the rear. The fronts have been on for about 5 weeks now and haven't settled at all. The backs settled after a week and have a factory looking fender gap. But for $359 shipped I won't complain as I bought them as a cheap temporary solution.
Old 08-25-17, 03:31 PM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Are these the non-adjustable type of struts?
Old 08-25-17, 03:39 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NL5
Are these the non-adjustable type of struts?
Yes, they are basic non adjustable struts.
Old 09-26-17, 10:20 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I just bought some used OEM LS430 springs/struts from a low mileage car.

Easy, cost effective.
Old 09-27-17, 06:43 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Not sure which ones you may be looking to replace if you have a bad strut or something. But Arnott is now making replacements. I inquired to see if they are making rears.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...uspension.html
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-12-17)
Old 11-10-17, 06:28 PM
1SikSc1Day
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default settled?

Have your fronts settled yet? Any idea why, if they havnt settled yet.
Are you the same person that mentioned same comment on ebay comments of the product?

My air susp. is toast too...and cant seem to decide what to do so om looking for options.

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
I've had them installed for a while now. They ride pretty good but my basis for comparison was a blown bag in the rear and the front being locked up, so anything is better than that. They're re-labeled Monroe OE Spectrum struts which are stamped Made in Japan. And when I say re-labeled, I mean Suncore slaps a sticker right over the Monroe sticker. One thing I don't like about them is the front is up really high, probably higher than with the bags all the way up. Because of the stiffness of the springs, the front doesn't absorb bumps as smoothly as the rear. The fronts have been on for about 5 weeks now and haven't settled at all. The backs settled after a week and have a factory looking fender gap. But for $359 shipped I won't complain as I bought them as a cheap temporary solution.
d
Old 11-10-17, 07:57 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SikSc1Day
Have your fronts settled yet? Any idea why, if they havnt settled yet.
Are you the same person that mentioned same comment on ebay comments of the product?

My air susp. is toast too...and cant seem to decide what to do so om looking for options.

d
They haven't settled at all. I'm assuming they used very stiff springs upfront. The coils are wound really tight, so much so that I couldn't get a spring compressor between the coil. The rears have gotten pretty soft, a little too much in my opinion.

And yes, I am the one who reviewed them on eBay. They're okay for a cheap, temporary solution. But if you plan on keeping them on for a long time, spending the money on a better set would be the wiser choice.
Old 11-11-17, 06:03 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Don't do the suncore, I replaced the rears three times and they were all the same...rode stiff as a board, front was ok. the rebound on the rears was way to slow, compared side by side with OEM non air struts.
Old 12-21-18, 04:15 PM
KBS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I’m 100% NOT a mechanic, but I’ve read every thread I can find regarding conversion from air to non air suspension. My hubs decided to “let” me have the responsibility of getting my 2001 LS430 UL fixed since it has been lopsided and garaged for 2 months now. My question is ... is this what I need to purchase to get the job done? https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-GR-2-EX...dTUp#vi-ilComp
i can’t afford to replace them luxury air style, and it seems that KYB is recommended for non air much higher than Suncore which is cheaper. I have someone willing to do the replacement for me for $450. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.