LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Chicago Road Debris = new windshield time

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 08:35 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

One of the things insurance companies have discovered is to upgrade your insurance and give you "free glass coverage". That removes it from your deductible if you want to retain OEM glass and pay the deductible. This means that can give you whatever glass they want to, and you can bet that they won't choose more expensive OEM glass.
Old 07-27-17, 10:59 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the windshield replaced on my car yesterday. I had requested that it be replaced with Pilkington since I had a couple on another car and was happy with the quality. While I was waiting for the installer to get the gel pad, they called to inform me that Pilkington had discontinued the windshield for the 430 but they could get FYG and some other Chinese brand. It sounded like BS, but I recalled seeing FY on the windshield that was in need of replacement, so I just said screw it since the auto setting on the wipers seemed to work okay and the clarity seemed good. It' supposed to rain this weekend so I 'll get a change to test it real world instead of with just a sprayer.
Old 07-27-17, 11:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
I had the windshield replaced on my car yesterday. I had requested that it be replaced with Pilkington since I had a couple on another car and was happy with the quality. While I was waiting for the installer to get the gel pad, they called to inform me that Pilkington had discontinued the windshield for the 430 but they could get FYG and some other Chinese brand. It sounded like BS, but I recalled seeing FY on the windshield that was in need of replacement, so I just said screw it since the auto setting on the wipers seemed to work okay and the clarity seemed good. It' supposed to rain this weekend so I 'll get a change to test it real world instead of with just a sprayer.
How about Lexus glass...meaning doesn't matter who makes it, just have a Lexus logo on it (because FUYAO makes glass for BMW today, but you want the OE, not the safelite version...)
Old 07-27-17, 11:39 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
How about Lexus glass...meaning doesn't matter who makes it, just have a Lexus logo on it (because FUYAO makes glass for BMW today, but you want the OE, not the safelite version...)
I bought the car with a cracked windshield and just recently changed insurance companies, so the repair came out of pocket. Since I live in Arizona, rain is rare except during monsoons and even then it's more dust storms and lightening in my area. Paying $1200 for a windshield on a car I bought for $3100 doesn't really make too much sense for me. I've been driving for 22 years without auto wipers so it's really not a big deal for me.
Old 07-27-17, 11:46 AM
Jabberwock

Received 207 Likes on 170 Posts

I had my windshield replaced with FYG glass lately, in my area no real alternative to using this glass, and it came with functioning rain sensor gel pad for installation. Auto wipers still work fine.
Old 07-27-17, 12:08 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah FYG seems like they're not someone who can be avoided today, they're in with the potus from what I remember seeing, and they display the Bentley logo on their webpage. So imho the differentiating factor would be the mfg's logo on the FYG glass, be it GM, BMW, or Bentley...you could say this is a smart Chinese business--buy up old USA plants and start producing in the USA, and make more profits. Sekurit and Pilkington must be scratching their heads, they're the incumbents...
Old 07-30-17, 10:35 PM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lowered my deductlble on my agaents advice. I then found out who the dealer used for all of their installs, and setup everything through him. My insurance agent called him for his info and price. The total OEM windshield was $2100. I paid him my $100. deductable after the insatall, and he was mailed out the balance by my insurer.
Old 07-31-17, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dockof-bay
I lowered my deductlble on my agaents advice. I then found out who the dealer used for all of their installs, and setup everything through him. My insurance agent called him for his info and price. The total OEM windshield was $2100. I paid him my $100. deductable after the insatall, and he was mailed out the balance by my insurer.
For whatever reason I can't save much by going from $100 to $200 or $250. While $2,100 is a rip off, as the insured, it's not our concern, and good job on paying $100. Since I have an agent, I will attempt to do the same if needed. And it's just like overinsuring an engagement ring, insurance never pays the retail price anyway. They likely paid 35% of the $2,100 number...sure they would prefer you pay $129 out the door, or inject some material into a hole, but that's life!
Old 09-15-17, 11:52 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

damnit do i have to settle for FYG fuyao glass?? Jay says Pilkington sucks and I trust experience so I really just want PPG now.
Old 09-15-17, 11:56 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My replacement glass is just fine. The only caveat is that you need the OEM Lexus gel sensor- have them get it ordered ahead of time.
My wipers would swipe when I started the car - so new sensor fixed the issue.

Safelite swapped sensors and glass is fine by me!
Old 09-15-17, 03:00 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
My replacement glass is just fine. The only caveat is that you need the OEM Lexus gel sensor- have them get it ordered ahead of time.
My wipers would swipe when I started the car - so new sensor fixed the issue.

Safelite swapped sensors and glass is fine by me!
When you have to tell a glass company what material they need in order for the wipers to function, doesn't that tell you something about the competency of the company you are dealing with? Especially if they have to redo their installation! The public has been bamboozled into accepting such things as normal. When is enough enough?