LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Recently bought my dream car: 2006 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 10:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

here's one, but the one I remember was this guy cursing and hurting his back and his g/f laughing, wish I could find that one....

Old 07-22-17, 12:32 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The wheel lock key was in the glove box.

The Michelins are nice. But on my drive to NY city one weekend (from Columbus, OH), I think speed was higher than that displayed on the digital construction site boards on the highway. I s'pose it's because of the 18 inch wheels as opposed to the 17s. It will actually get worse when I go 20 inches. Even the Waze app displayed lower than my speedometer.
Old 07-22-17, 12:38 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imdking
The wheel lock key was in the glove box.

The Michelins are nice. But on my drive to NY city one weekend (from Columbus, OH), I think speed was higher than that displayed on the digital construction site boards on the highway. I s'pose it's because of the 18 inch wheels as opposed to the 17s. It will actually get worse when I go 20 inches. Even the Waze app displayed lower than my speedometer.
I know with BMW, the indicated speed on the speedo is lower than the actual speed, no idea why they would do that, why not make it accurate....I never compared the Garmin to the LS speedo because we use the garmin less and less, I use google maps, I can't even imagine how much time they have saved me in 1 1/2 yrs....does Waze have red light cams and speed cams? Thought someone said they did...

speedo should be right as long as you keep the circumference the same, aka revs/mile....
Old 07-22-17, 09:42 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Waze actually also displays speed cops on the highway, but I think it's all user input (reported by other users as they spot them). So, I think even the camera traffic lights will be displayed, as posted by other users. I am not certain about the red light cameras.
Old 07-23-17, 10:20 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

He mentioned that someone makes a socket specifically for removal. Handy to know. The key (so to speak) is make sure it stays in the glovebox. Better yet, w/ the Lex tool kit (less chance of it getting lost).
Old 07-24-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
He mentioned that someone makes a socket specifically for removal. Handy to know. The key (so to speak) is make sure it stays in the glovebox. Better yet, w/ the Lex tool kit (less chance of it getting lost).
I thought that the video I was thinking of, the guy went into an auto parts store and got a socket that basically when you turn it counter clockwise, it's cutting into the wheel lock and tightening on it. Then, it has basically grabbed it and can be removed. But the hard part was even with a vise, separating the two, since one really doesn't want to toss the socket after buying it...

google led me to this. But I liked the video in my head because the g/f was laughing at the guy at his expense, just found it funny....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/M980-Emer...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 07-30-17, 09:40 AM
rwt75010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The five spoke wheels only come with the Sport Suspension. FWIW This matters if you do suspension work..

If you are having a noise in the lower control arms - you probably have bushings or ball joints that need to be replaced. Front Ball joints are actually easy on this car!! Lower control arms
are a little harder, but not too bad.

For the last 3 years every mechanic told me everything was fine on my 2005 Flint Mica Custom Luxury with 172,000 miles, then the right rear shock started leaking. I knew they were wrong.... I just did my front lower control arms / ball joints and struts all the way around. The ride and handling is now amazing.
Old 07-30-17, 09:50 AM
rwt75010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, the 5 spoke wheels are 18s. Standard 6 spokes are 17s. Maybe someone switched wheels - check the VIN and you will know!

Enjoy your Ride!
Old 07-30-17, 06:03 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rwt75010
Oh, the 5 spoke wheels are 18s. Standard 6 spokes are 17s. Maybe someone switched wheels - check the VIN and you will know!

Enjoy your Ride!
Thanks. I am loving it!
The wheels are 18's, but I didn't know that the suspension is sport. But the wheels are definitely 18 inch silver with clear, with Michelin tyres. I just confirmed the spare wheel is the same, with chalk mark. It's been used, of course, but it still looks good, and the tread is still excellent.

Old 07-31-17, 08:16 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice pick up. Wish I could have found that color over my Cypress Pearl when I was looking a few months back. I'm getting more accepting of Cypress Pearl but it's still not my favorite. So far the car seems to be solid and that's actually more important than the color since they all look good.

You'll learn to love the LS, actually you'll become spoiled before you know it. I got my initial '04 from a friend just because I got a great deal on it. After two years when it got totaled there was no doubt I was going to go find another one. As of now, if anything were to happen tot his one then I'm still going to for another LS.
Old 08-30-17, 08:35 PM
imdking
Pole Position

You know! Sometimes the stars align for you, and you happen to be in the right place at the right time!

I browsed long and hard for wheels, and the ones I settled on were obsolete, of course. I reckoned the Fabulous profound wheels were what will go with my LS430.

But they are made of unobtanium! So I went through the sticky "ultimate" thread. Then I decided since I have the stock 18" wheels, I will have to go bigger than 19" for aftermarket. So, settled on 20. And no step lip. I considered it, but decided on flat lip only. Positively 5 spoke. Nothing else!

So I went through the "LS430 on 20 inch" thread. Found the silver LS430 with HRE 945Rl wheels, and fell in love again!

They are available, but start at $2000 a piece, with no tire! Mmph! I just couldn't swing $9000 on rims alone! So I figured it'll have to be next summer.

Then as iwas perusing through the forum, I discovered that there were subforums like regional, for meets. And that there is a classified, since eBay didn't produce anything Lexus specific.

So I checked the wheels and tires classifieds here on ClubLexus. And you will not believe what I found for sale.

So I made an offer on the spot! And BAM!
These had been for sale for 2 months! I couldn't believe it!

Fom seller's GS:

Last edited by imdking; 08-30-17 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 08:47 PM
imdking
Pole Position

The guy responded, and sent me videos of each wheel. I paid, and 2 days later, the mail man dropped them off at my garage door.

The tyres were mostly done for. But I was buying the rims. I decided to add a little more side wall on the tyres. So instead of the P245/30/25 fronts, P285/25/20 for the rears that had been on there, I went ahead and ordered P245/35/20 for the fronts, and P285/30/20 for the rears. Otherwise I would be busting them wheels time and again on potholes!

And I tell you..... She's beautiful!

And another one.

Last edited by imdking; 08-30-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 09:23 PM
imdking
Pole Position

I'm on cloud 9 right now!

Old 08-31-17, 09:01 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Congrats on the wheels! If the car has Sports suspension, there's a small badge on each front fender
Old 08-31-17, 09:42 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Cypress Pearl is a distinctive color. Did errands this afternoon. In 1/2 hour (and lots of cars), saw only one other with a similar color. Tinted windows are an easy upgrade. Tthe stock 5 spoke 18's look good. I've never owned a car that got compliments on the color. Looks classy but but that's JMHO. Flint Mica's also looks good. Hey, we all have our own preferences. The key is that the color works for the owner.

Quick Reply: Recently bought my dream car: 2006 LS430