LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sound system issue seems: iPhone or auxiliary input

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 11:42 AM
simpson227
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system issue seems: iPhone or auxiliary input

Typed on my phone so I apologize for any errors.

So I just picked up a 2004 LS 430 that I really love. Drives like a dream, accelerates wonderfully.

Now the bad: the factory cd unit shows up with cd error. I suspect that there is a CD jammed in there, I will follow the thread on taking the unit apart and disassembling it. I am trying to figure out how to integrate my iPhone to the car. I have the Navigation unit and the Mark Levinson Sound system. I've seen a bunch of write ups on Bluetooth adapters and I'm not sure what will work with these two systems.
People seem to love the USA SPEC AND VAISTECH. GROM received mixed reviews.

what do you have installed on your LS? What do you like and dislike about it? Any recommendations? Seems like there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I am just trying to tap into it

Last edited by simpson227; 07-09-17 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Missing details
Old 07-09-17, 11:56 AM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2001 and put a Grom BT3 in it about a month ago. It has been fantastic for Bluetooth streaming and phone. Aux input works great as well. Super easy install. I also added the HD radio adapter for the Grom. That was a bit more difficult to install, and the antenna was a giant pain, but in the end, it sounds fantastic. Can't listen to regular FM any more. Highly recommended the Grom.
Old 07-09-17, 01:33 PM
simpson227
Rookie

Do you have navigation? How does it integrate?
Old 07-09-17, 03:07 PM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by simpson227
Do you have navigation? How does it integrate?
Yes, ML and Nav. It integrates perfectly. The factory stereo thinks the Grom is a second CD player. All factory functions stay the same. The only possible issue I could see is you would have to switch to the Grom to send or receive calls. I don't think it would automatically switch over. I'll test it later today and post an update. I pretty much am always on the Grom for streaming and HD radio, so unless I am listening to a CD, everything works like it was factory.
Old 07-09-17, 03:43 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

to un jam the cd player, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 5-10 minutes. when you reconnect the battery turn on and push eject button and the cd should come out. I disconnected the positive cable, but it worked the same. pushed eject a few times and the jammed cd popped out.
Old 07-09-17, 04:32 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

All the Bluetooth adapters are probably pretty similar. I have the USASpec BT45-TOY in my 03' 430. Integrates very well with the stock navigation. The only difference is that you can change between FM1, FM2, CD changer, and MD changer. MD Changer being the BT45.

A few things to note with the BT45. The on screen buttons for RANDOM and REPEAT do not function. Those have to be activated using whatever media player you're using on your Bluetooth device. An aux-input 3.5mm 3 foot (or so) cable is provided as well, so you can have FM, CD, Bluetooth, and aux-input at your disposal. In addition there is a USB cable that is provided that is power-only so you can route into your glovebox and charge USB devices. In addition they also provide a very very lengthy microphone cable to allow your Bluetooth phone to be used during calls using your 430's speakers as phone-call output.

Your steering wheel controls are still usable to skip tracks. The Navigation screen also display Album and Track title. This works in anything from Spotify, Youtube, or any generic media player on your phone ( i use "Poweramp" and can confirm names appear on screen with this app).
Old 07-10-17, 11:07 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
All the Bluetooth adapters are probably pretty similar. I have the USASpec BT45-TOY in my 03' 430. Integrates very well with the stock navigation. The only difference is that you can change between FM1, FM2, CD changer, and MD changer. MD Changer being the BT45.

A few things to note with the BT45. The on screen buttons for RANDOM and REPEAT do not function. Those have to be activated using whatever media player you're using on your Bluetooth device. An aux-input 3.5mm 3 foot (or so) cable is provided as well, so you can have FM, CD, Bluetooth, and aux-input at your disposal. In addition there is a USB cable that is provided that is power-only so you can route into your glovebox and charge USB devices. In addition they also provide a very very lengthy microphone cable to allow your Bluetooth phone to be used during calls using your 430's speakers as phone-call output.

Your steering wheel controls are still usable to skip tracks. The Navigation screen also display Album and Track title. This works in anything from Spotify, Youtube, or any generic media player on your phone ( i use "Poweramp" and can confirm names appear on screen with this app).
RE: BT45 - Google Play data also appears. I tried both BT and AUX cable, and BT sounds better. You can set the source; mine is AM/SAT, so I retain CD function.

NAV directions suck so I rely on voice navi from Maps. When MAPS sounds, it dims the music - same with phone calls. Love it!
Old 07-28-17, 02:46 PM
simpson227
Rookie

Default Updates to original post.

Typed on my phone so I apologize for any errors.

So I just picked up a 2004 LS 430 that I really love. Drives like a dream, accelerates wonderfully.

Now the bad: the factory cd unit shows up with cd error. I suspect that there is a CD jammed in there, I will follow the thread on taking the unit apart and disassembling it. I am trying to figure out how to integrate my iPhone to the car. I have the Navigation unit and the Mark Levinson Sound system. I've seen a bunch of write ups on Bluetooth adapters and I'm not sure what will work with these two systems.
People seem to love the USA SPEC AND VAISTECH. GROM received mixed reviews.

what do you have installed on your LS? What do you like and dislike about it? Any recommendations? Seems like there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I am just trying to tap into it
Updates. I picked up a USA spec unit bt -toy45 and installed it. I also disassembled and un jammed the CD changer so that is working also. I need to know what position you guys set your dip switches to make it work properly. I currently have them all in the original position of flipped one way.

just got it in, made one phone call it work crate. Was able to stream it podcast. If anybody has any tips and tricks on making this Bt45 work better let me know. Does this remove my ability to make Bluetooth phone calls with the original installed system? Where did you guys hide the microphone?

Last edited by simpson227; 07-28-17 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Missing details
Old 07-29-17, 07:04 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

I believe I kept the switch at what came from the vendor. It uses the AM/SAT button.

You would make your calls with your phone as the BT integrates your phone into the system and not the other way around.

I installed the mic at the lower left corner of the NAV screen on the little shelf.
Old 07-29-17, 07:50 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the BT45 and impressed with the sound quality compared to my cassette-to-aux-to-bluetooth adapter. I placed my mic in the upper driver's A pillar pictured in the manual. I was contemplating between the Grom and BT45, but the Grom loses the CD changer according to their manual. The only complaint I have on the BT45 is the pause/resume feature doesn't work as stated in the manual on page 11. When I press TRACK UP, it skips to the next song rather than resume the paused song (minor issue).

https://www.usaspec.com/images/docum...103016_web.pdf
Old 07-29-17, 08:00 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tip: I tried to install this aux/usb flush mount in the center glove box right below the factory 12V adapter.
Amazon Amazon

Unfortunately, this mount is thick in the back and hits some sensor between the cup holder and glove box. This prevents the center console to snap back in. Has anyone found another usb/aux adapter that fits? If I had to drill another hole, I would place it to the left/right of the 12v adapter.
Old 08-01-17, 11:58 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Updates. I picked up a USA spec unit bt -toy45 and installed it. I also disassembled and un jammed the CD changer so that is working also. I need to know what position you guys set your dip switches to make it work properly. I currently have them all in the original position of flipped one way.

just got it in, made one phone call it work crate. Was able to stream it podcast. If anybody has any tips and tricks on making this Bt45 work better let me know. Does this remove my ability to make Bluetooth phone calls with the original installed system? Where did you guys hide the microphone?
I just picked up a LS 430, so with the BT-45 installed you no longer have use of the factory way off answering/making phone calls with the Bluetooth? You would have to use the BT-45 and would then be forced to install the provided microphone?
Old 08-01-17, 12:00 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Originally Posted by Daspyda
RE: BT45 - Google Play data also appears. I tried both BT and AUX cable, and BT sounds better. You can set the source; mine is AM/SAT, so I retain CD function.

NAV directions suck so I rely on voice navi from Maps. When MAPS sounds, it dims the music - same with phone calls. Love it!
This is my first LS so I am new to this NAV system. Does NAV directions suck because your disk is outdated or the system is terrible on the whole? Can you elaborate on what makes it suck? Thanks
Old 08-01-17, 01:51 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
This is my first LS so I am new to this NAV system. Does NAV directions suck because your disk is outdated or the system is terrible on the whole? Can you elaborate on what makes it suck? Thanks
Lacks current info (even with latest disc), no voice turn-by-turn, no "current conditions", slow and clunky, blah, blah, blah. This is 13 year old technology...

Use Google Maps on your phone, instead.
The following users liked this post:
PearlUni05 (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 02:38 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Lacks current info (even with latest disc), no voice turn-by-turn, no "current conditions", slow and clunky, blah, blah, blah. This is 13 year old technology...

Use Google Maps on your phone, instead.
Ahhh ok. I have not used it yet. I am coming from an 06 TL and the navi on there is great, touch screen, voice turn-by-turn, current conditions/traffic came in the 07's. Crap this sucks, guess I will have to use Waze. So I would be able to hear the navi voice from my cell phone thru the car speakers right? Thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: Sound system issue seems: iPhone or auxiliary input