LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My Camber is Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 11:13 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My Camber is Out

My right rear camber is out -1.8 big red square, left is a green square -1.7 on Express Align align machine and I am getting some feathering on the outer edge of the tires. I watch my tires like a hawk so not vibrations yet. Dealer said it is no big deal its minimal and just make sure ya rotate regularly as it is non adjustable. Not to ask em again but it is a big deal if my tires are wearing could this be the cause, is he right can't adjust it? Prolly need a alignment specialty shop? I took a pretty big direct hit laterally broke the bumper moved over the tailpipe off center and crunched the underpanel pretty good with a pretty good dent. Back quarter was fine. Could this have caused it? Thanks alot of ifs and questions, will go to accurate alignment or my autobody guy prolly knows where to take it.
Old 07-02-17, 03:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine was 100% the exact same as yours, I'm not worrying about it and found the same on the forum. I have a lifetime alignment and about to go back in to see if anything else has changed. This is the first car I've owned where this has happened, and maybe if it were 30-40k miles I'd be upset, but it was at like 86k when it happened.

I don't see any wear issues nor vibration etc. My hunch is normal for this car with wear....
Old 07-02-17, 03:59 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Here's what the 04-06 repair manual says about rear wheel alignment, and the camber settings can be adjusted...
Old 07-02-17, 04:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the quick reply night owls!! Will be lookin into this Monday I have the week off anything not perfect eats at me mechanically.. I am on this forum too much but I drive well toooo much.
Old 07-02-17, 04:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I remember searching and came across where the rear camber was out on other cars....I really think that all of us are rarely going to come across an issue that is only ourselves (howling, transmission output seals this I have not found elsewhere), so we might have to live with things that others also are living with....my .02

edit here it is.....p.s. as often is the case, you won't find any resolution but you can see others have had the same (it seems at that point people seem to do a Houdini!)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-of-spec.html

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-02-17 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-02-17, 07:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

My car drives strait, does not wander shake for now. I know though this lil edge wear now will be replacement of tires every 30k. I got these pirellis for 48 bucks a piece thank gosh if I end up tossing em until this is solved. Thanks John good information to take to Accurate good luck with the insomnia. My last LS right about this time developed center tire wear and I was not overinflating em. Accurate said there was a problems with the springs or struts, I would assume they have that report on file to check, but interesting the tires have started to wear prematurely right around the same time.

I wonder of the A8's have improved reliability wise know I still won't fit my belly in an A6 and I think in 010 the 3.0 turbo's and 8 speeds came out for mileage over the old reliable gas sucking 4.2 I think in 010. I loved the A8 every time I drove em have Quattro for my ski trips, ya I will have to drive it in snow, but the MMI's break service position remove front bumper is worrisome. I planned on possibley getting rid of this at 200k this might force my hand. Tires will becme a problem if not fixed. So I assume it wasn't the accident thanks again John great site Jab polices em so I don't get political rock on.
Old 07-02-17, 07:53 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Last one I traded for this one. With 200 k I saw it at 3 dealers 3 years later going from rural Wiscsonsin to the ghetto in milwaukee street corner dealer stacked with other old worn out high mileage jalopies, mine was still stellar though(needed ride height sensor, chrome rims where real ratty, coin door was broke just 200k on an old LS is worrisome to folks I guess with a V8 gas sucker, not really, and RWD in WI. Oh ya I forgot the center tire wear suspension problems.
Old 07-02-17, 08:00 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

In November I will know if they buy back my Touareg 53k or pony up 9 grand to fix it. Nice downpayment on a used car.
Old 07-02-17, 08:12 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I remember searching and came across where the rear camber was out on other cars....I really think that all of us are rarely going to come across an issue that is only ourselves (howling, transmission output seals this I have not found elsewhere), so we might have to live with things that others also are living with....my .02

edit here it is.....p.s. as often is the case, you won't find any resolution but you can see others have had the same (it seems at that point people seem to do a Houdini!)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-of-spec.html
Haven't heard about the howling issue. When the dealer charges 500 to check alignment on the ashtray? When someone parks too close?
Old 07-02-17, 08:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Even the 75 dollar oil change and they"test drive the car"
Old 07-02-17, 08:41 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Replacing the camber arms with longer ones as the factory manual suggests is just treating the symptom and not the problem. The reason we see more and more threads on out-of-camber alignments is sagging coil springs. Notice how everyone only has an issue with excessive negative camber? All springs on all cars tend to sag over time, with time being more of a factor than mileage. New coil springs will restore the factory ride height and will correct the camber issue.
Old 07-02-17, 08:59 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Replacing the camber arms with longer ones as the factory manual suggests is just treating the symptom and not the problem. The reason we see more and more threads on out-of-camber alignments is sagging coil springs. Notice how everyone only has an issue with excessive negative camber? All springs on all cars tend to sag over time, with time being more of a factor than mileage. New coil springs will restore the factory ride height and will correct the camber issue.
Interesting time is a factor. Low mileage on a 11-16 year isn't an automatic guarantee of fewer repairs.
Old 07-02-17, 10:54 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I remember this what Accurate told me. So ballpark labor hours to do springs and I assume you do the struts as it all must come out. Thanks this is starting to make sense.
Old 07-02-17, 04:20 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=48231A

I think this is what I need all OEM Lexus parts w/sport w/o rough road package(whats that) I am gonna spin to Lexus tomorrow get a parts breakdown and a quote, sorry for the anxiety.
Old 07-02-17, 04:24 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com/index.php?p=cart

Here we go guess I need iinsulators and hardware. My buddys kid does t belts, head gaskets I imagine he can do this. Hours ya think for labor? My LS is all hwy miles might as well fix it.

Quick Reply: My Camber is Out