LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Friend wants to borrow car. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 12:45 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend wants to borrow car. What would you do?

My friend, who doesn't have a car, wants to borrow my car to get groceries and go to the gym. He asked if he could borrow my car a few times a week to do so. I have had the car for more than ten years so it is like a child to me. Knowing his personality (careless) i am afraid he will scratch it up, mess up wheels and alignment, door dings etc.

Am I being selfish and a bad friend if I don't let him use my car?
Old 06-29-17, 01:35 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

No. Uber was made for people like him.
Old 06-29-17, 01:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

if he damages your car, your friendship will most likely end.keep your keys in your pocket and never let anyone that isnt your spouse drive your car.
Old 06-29-17, 01:56 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by vadorade
My friend, who doesn't have a car, wants to borrow my car to get groceries and go to the gym. He asked if he could borrow my car a few times a week to do so. I have had the car for more than ten years so it is like a child to me. Knowing his personality (careless) i am afraid he will scratch it up, mess up wheels and alignment, door dings etc.

Am I being selfish and a bad friend if I don't let him use my car?
Do you need the car or the friend?

However, if he has some hot babe WITH cute friends that he is driving on return trip from the gym to YOUR HOUSE, well then....that is another matter...

Have that discussion and understanding beforehand.
Old 06-29-17, 02:19 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Simple answer....NO, NO, and NO. Easy excuse is, "My insurance wont cover you." But better to have the ***** to say "NO, its my car and I need it and you need to buy your own car." If it kills the friendship, he/she wasnt a friend ANYWAY.
Old 06-29-17, 02:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

you're not being selfish. used cars are cheap
Old 06-29-17, 02:28 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You're not being selfish or a bad friend if you say no. If he will be as careless as you say he will be with it, then run far far away. A true friend should treat your property as if it were his own, if not better. If he can't do that, he doesn't deserve your car and probably doesn't deserve your friendship either.

Unless you really really trust this guy (which I sort of doubt given the description you have him), it might be best to just have him figure something else out. If it were only once, I'd give it a tiny bit more thought (and probably still say no if he is careless). The multiple times a week thing also seems like a bit of a deal breaker.
Old 06-29-17, 03:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't do it on a frequent basis. That increases risk. Here in FL very few people unless you are in the legal field know that motor vehicles are considered dangerous instrumentalities. As a result, you as the owner of the vehicle are responsible for any damages that a third party suffers as a result of the negligent operation of their vehicles, when they are driven by others with their knowledge and consent. There is a FL Supreme Court case on it as well.

Here is a small except about the law to add to your useless information file in your brain "This doctrine imposes strict vicarious liability upon the owner of a motor vehicle who voluntarily entrusts that motor vehicle to an individual whose negligent operation causes damage to another. Therefore whoever authorizes and permits an instrumentality that is peculiarly dangerous in its operation to be used by an individual on the public highway is liable in damages for injuries to third persons caused by the negligent operation of such instrumentality on the highway by any person so authorized by the owner of the instrumentality."
Old 06-29-17, 03:23 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I got this all the time when I had a Porsche. The answer was always no. Borrow a few times a week? Maybe he should use zipcar etc.
Old 06-29-17, 03:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

No one drives my car other than my girlfriend who is the best most careful driver... That's why my cars are impeccable and I remain neurotic. Not an easy condition to maintain.. But no dents or any paintwork... The price to pay for a perfect car.
Old 06-29-17, 05:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Just say no. People will take advantage of you only as long as you permit it.
Old 06-29-17, 08:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

1 yur insurance will not cover this driver most likely. 2 They have an accident you are getting sued wither way. 3 Yur friend is meant to be on a fish hook. A LEACH
Old 06-29-17, 08:43 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How is this even a question? Any alpha male in this situation would not hesitate responding with an emphatic "hell no take the bus/Uber/bike/go buy your own damn car". Stand up for yourself. Voice how you feel with confidence, you'll earn nothing but respect from the right people by doing so, and the ones that get upset shouldn't be in your life anyways. Doesn't make you any less of a friend to say no to this.
Old 06-29-17, 09:40 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
How is this even a question? Any alpha male in this situation would not hesitate responding with an emphatic "hell no take the bus/Uber/bike/go buy your own damn car". Stand up for yourself. Voice how you feel with confidence, you'll earn nothing but respect from the right people by doing so, and the ones that get upset shouldn't be in your life anyways. Doesn't make you any less of a friend to say no to this.
To me, the problem is not about standing up for myself or who's an alpha male. It's about a friend who is going through a rough patch in his life and is asking for help from a friend. I myself have been through the same situation in college having no car. I will always remember and am grateful for the friend (different guy) in college who would lend me his car when I needed it. (Albeit it was a ****ty ford Taurus and no LS430). The LS is a wonderful car, but in the end it is only a car. It is also more than 15 years old. Don't want to look back in five or ten years after the LS is long gone, and realized that my priorities were out of order.

Last edited by vadorade; 06-29-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 04:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

There are some things that just aren't done, and that's one of them. But I will admit, out of being nice, people do things that can have dire consequences. How about a coworker, would you lend him/her your car on or off business? My coworker lent me her Suburban when I was moving, and said just give me your car so I can get around. When my car was a stick, she couldn't drive it so she said just use my car at work and bring it back before I have to leave. Was she being a good friend? Sure. If I wrecked it, would I pay her her deductible? Sure. Would I pay her for the increased rates over the next 39 mos.? No. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so.

One of the most interesting things being nice and being burned, I see, is when folks cosign loans for another person. I asked my wife, you have some late payments from 2006 (we got married 2008)? She said oh, that, I let uncle **** use my credit card and they never had the money to pay, but eventually they paid me back. Luckily that's long past and she's back over 820 in Experian. Chase also slammed her at one point for disputing a charge in a mall kiosk, another hidden lack of protection imho....she disputed a charge, merchant said valid, she got dinged. Went to BBB, merchant was accredited and immediately refunded, she got her credit but was dinged. One has to be diligent about things, is my .02. Not ***** nilly. Why would someone need to borrow another's car on a regular basis anyway?

Quick Reply: Friend wants to borrow car. What would you do?