Last Call before I buy a whole new A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 10:54 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Last Call before I buy a whole new A/C compressor

Folks,
just fishing for feedback. I did AC pressure switch and the cooling still works well but only engages intermittently. If I flip on and of several times the cooling kicks in.,

I priced a Denso compressor - does anyone have any additional suggestions before I drop some serious cash on a compressor/install and a full AC recharged???

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 05-15-17, 11:45 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you can hear the clutch engage on the existing compressor - a "click" and then the engine might speed up or slightly slow - then it would be a switch you're having an issue with and not necessarily the compressor.

I'd try a diagnostic at a reputable shop first.
The following users liked this post:
KncklFKR13 (07-15-22)
Old 05-15-17, 12:02 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

What is the reasoning for not wanting to take it to a shop to diagnose?

I mean, you'v already thrown an expensive repair at it by "guessing" with a pressure switch that required you to take out the freon and recharge it, but it didn't work. You would already be money ahead had you just taken it to place that knows AC systems.

Now you want to put the single most expensive part of the AC system on and hope that fixes it? Do yo have the necessary equipment to properly recharge the system?

I applaud people wanting to make repairs themselves, but there should be some troubleshooting before you throw parts at it and cross your fingers.

Do you have an AC gauge set? What are the low side and high side pressures telling you? Someone that knows this trade could tell you instantly if your compressor needs replacement by hooking it up to some simple gauges.
Old 05-15-17, 01:26 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

go to the parts store and buy a manifold gauge set.not too expensive.
Old 05-15-17, 01:32 PM
biacs
Intermediate

Sorry for the shorthand, I had a reputable shop scan the cars diagnostics. He did the evac, replaced the switch and recharged the system. Not just going rogue on it.
Old 05-15-17, 01:45 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
Sorry for the shorthand, I had a reputable shop scan the cars diagnostics. He did the evac, replaced the switch and recharged the system. Not just going rogue on it.
Apparently, that didn't fix it. Can you give them an opportunity to correct their repair?
Old 05-15-17, 05:22 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars have an AC pressure switch without a schrader valve under it?
Old 05-16-17, 04:28 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
These cars have an AC pressure switch without a schrader valve under it?
correct - a direct port pressure switch
Old 05-16-17, 04:52 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That seems disappointingly short-sighted.

I'm not an AC expert, although I do have a nice gauge set, a vacuum pump, and a tank of 134. How confident are you in your shop's expertise? Again, I'm not an expert but it doesn't add up for me. Maybe get a 2nd opinion? Do you have a shop nearby that specializes in AC? I don't mean a shop that advertises "We speciaize in: (list of every system on every make of car)." For me, the local expert advertises as a radiator & AC shop.
Old 05-16-17, 09:24 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

If a shop recommended a repair, and after doing it the problem is still there, they should eat that cost 100% in my opinion.

Nobody here can say whether or not you need a new compressor because they would need to see it running on a gauge set to make that call. A COMPETENT AC shop though could easily tell you if that was a problem by looking at those readings.

FWIW, ac compressor failure is not a very common problem at all. It could certainly be that but nobody can really tell online without seeing the readings. Again, this isn't something that you should be guessing on, a good shop could show you why the gauge readings indicate your compressor needs to be replaced.

I would just hate to see you go down another wrong path and spend more money.

Old 07-15-22, 01:15 PM
KncklFKR13
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
If you can hear the clutch engage on the existing compressor - a "click" and then the engine might speed up or slightly slow - then it would be a switch you're having an issue with and not necessarily the compressor.

I'd try a diagnostic at a reputable shop first.
if you carefully manually engage the clutch by tapping the front of it does the magnet lock the clutch in place? Does it stay engaged untill the next cycle off period or does it immediately disengage?
Old 07-15-22, 01:20 PM
KncklFKR13
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
That seems disappointingly short-sighted.

I'm not an AC expert, although I do have a nice gauge set, a vacuum pump, and a tank of 134. How confident are you in your shop's expertise? Again, I'm not an expert but it doesn't add up for me. Maybe get a 2nd opinion? Do you have a shop nearby that specializes in AC? I don't mean a shop that advertises "We speciaize in: (list of every system on every make of car)." For me, the local expert advertises as a radiator & AC shop.
it’s not just gonna be a pressure reading or a vacuum reading unless you’re doing a vacuum pol to make sure the system is dry and it’s holding. There are also a number of other things including the magnetic clutch ability to pull the plating and engage the clutch if you get the proper amount of voltage and the AC clutch won’t engage itself but if you manually bump it and it stays engaged until the cycle period is over then there’s a very good chance you can remove one of the spacers on the clutch allowing it to gauge itself. I had a shop called me for a new compressor stating mine was bad and that’s all I needed the time has come into this problem multiple times since with other cars. If you have voltage you have ground at holding a vacuum you should be fine unless you see oil coming out the seal on the shaft. Check your pressure make sure it’s in the green zone and fired up it should be good to go.