LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tire swap with an RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 08:12 AM
Polabareus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire swap with an RX300?

I have searched and the data says I should be able to do what I'm about to ask, yet I prefer to ask all you experts if there's something I'm missing.

Can stock wheels from a 1999 RX300 fit on a 2004 LS with 17 inch wheels?

I know the tire size is different, cornering could be impacted, all of that important stuff. I plan on getting new tires for my LS430 however, I simply can not until my bonus comes in two weeks. In the mean time I have to be able to get into town. The lovely FR710 Firestones that came on the LS are shot. I noticed a vibration when driving it home yesterday after I bought it. Since it was between 45-65mph or so I figured tire balance. Before buying I had the dealer lift the car so I could check everything and there was nothing loose anywhere. The shocks are new, mounts, everything that I know to cause vibration. Noticed nice big buldge on the inside wall of one of the front tires this morning. Yeah, I may have missed that one when it was up in the air! Planned on replacing the tires the moment I saw them so just briefly checked them over.

Anyway, I have a 1999 RX300 Super Smoker (engine needs surgery) in my garage with brand new Cooper SRX tires. Various wheel exchange reference sites I could find, here and on the web, show that all the specs are the same for the wheels. I'm not an expert with wheels though and don't know if my calipers will be banging on the rims or not or if there's other measurements to consider?

Both vehicles have 5x114.3 bolt pattern, stud size is 12x1.5, and hub center bore is 60.1. I couldn't find any info on how they are "offset". Should I be able to swap?
Old 04-09-17, 08:51 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No it wont. Tire size is vastly different. also the RX300 wheels don't have the caliper clearance for the LS
Old 04-09-17, 08:53 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

First off, welcome to the club Pola;

The front calipers on the LS are, to say the least, huge. Much bigger than the calipers on an RX. I know they both came with 16" wheels, but not sure if the LS calipers would clear the RX 16 inch wheel
Old 04-09-17, 05:32 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you checked your spare? The LS comes with a full sized spare. Maybe you could swap it with the "bubbled" tire for a few weeks..
Old 04-10-17, 06:31 AM
Polabareus
Driver School Candidate

I ended up getting two new front tires for now. I'll get the other two when I can. A steering wheel vibration I noticed with the other tires is still there. So, looks like I'm on a new adventure of figuring that out. There are plenty of threads on that issue and I have several things to consider. If there are no bad suspension parts I'm thinking maybe the new tires just aren't balanced right. I'll start there.
Old 04-10-17, 06:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Polabareus
I ended up getting two new front tires for now. I'll get the other two when I can. A steering wheel vibration I noticed with the other tires is still there. So, looks like I'm on a new adventure of figuring that out. There are plenty of threads on that issue and I have several things to consider. If there are no bad suspension parts I'm thinking maybe the new tires just aren't balanced right. I'll start there.
With my car, there was a vibration at 60 when I got it. I did the front lower control arm bushings, OEM from eBay. The indie who pressed them in said even though they're cracked and lightly torn on one side, they felt it would not make any difference. I thought this vibration went away, but these are subtle and subjective things.....might be worth a shot, and in theory, you don't lose when you replace them, they'd need replacement anyway at some point. Might be worth a shot. Also, when I took my car in for an alignment, 3/4 wheels were out, and that seemed to help as well at higher speeds (75 mph)....

p.s. my bonus was taxed at 35%, yikes....they must have done the aggregate this year as opposed to flat, I was expecting to see 25%
Old 05-25-17, 10:08 AM
Polabareus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
With my car, there was a vibration at 60 when I got it. I did the front lower control arm bushings, OEM from eBay. The indie who pressed them in said even though they're cracked and lightly torn on one side, they felt it would not make any difference. I thought this vibration went away, but these are subtle and subjective things.....might be worth a shot, and in theory, you don't lose when you replace them, they'd need replacement anyway at some point. Might be worth a shot. Also, when I took my car in for an alignment, 3/4 wheels were out, and that seemed to help as well at higher speeds (75 mph)....

p.s. my bonus was taxed at 35%, yikes....they must have done the aggregate this year as opposed to flat, I was expecting to see 25%
I can't believe I even asked about the 300 tires fitting on this car, lol. Wasn't even close. Oh well. I now have all new tires, and after getting them re balanced a few times it still vibrated. I opted to then go with replacing the struts. After doing that the vibration is gone, and it drives very true even in wide open prairie wind with an 18 cubic foot cargo box fully loaded on top (just went on a brief camping trip to Colorado and then the Black Hills in South Dakota, drove like a dream).

And yes, my bonus was pillaged by Uncle Sam, right about 35% here too.