LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Voice is Gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 06:02 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up The Voice is Gone

I scanned posts all over this club and found the solution to eliminating the annoying voice; "A Lexus Link system error has been detected...".

I located the plugs in the trunk, swapped the connections, and the voice is gone! No side effects from this simple fix; everything still works as normal.

Thanks Club Lexus! Another problem solved and no dealer involvement!!

If the voice is driving you crazy, this simple procedure solves the problem.

If anyone has any questions on what to do, let me know and I can snap a picture or two f what I did.
Old 04-06-17, 08:05 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Well just snap the pic and post instructions for prosterity sake.
Old 04-06-17, 12:53 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
Well just snap the pic and post instructions for prosterity sake.
Yes sir. As soon as I get home, I will do just that.
Old 04-06-17, 05:54 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Default How to stop the annoying voice

Very simple procedure that can be done in < 5 minutes. I tried to find the thread where I learned how to do this, so I could give credit the person who figured this out!

1. Open trunk
2. On right side of the trunk, lift up on the carpet nearest to the tail lights and rear quarter panel.
3. Lift up on the floorboard which is hinged to allow access to the space you need to work on.
4. You will see 2 bundles of wiring connected to each other by flat, rectangular plugs. The plugs are not only connected to each other, they are also connected to the chassis by plastic pegs that fit snugly into drilled holes in the sheet metal.
5. Using an upholstery fastener removal tool, or flahead screwdriver and gently remove the plugs from the sheet metal.
Don't pull too hard on the plugs as there is very little slack in the wires.
6. Each plug has a clip, holding the two connections together.
7. Push down on these clips/tabs and pull apart the connections.
8. Plug each connector into the opposite receiving end vs. how it was connected when you started. There are only 2 ways to make these connections, and you are going to plug them back together in the opposite way as when you started. it's very obvious what you have to do, once you see what you are working with.
9. Reattach the plugs to the sheet metal,( I did not do that yet as it raining very hard and I was getting soaked.) if you accidentally broke the plastic plugs when removing them, check for any wire insulation compromise, electrical tape as needed and a small wire tie or two should be plenty to hold everything in place.
10. Fold down the floorboard and the carpet, and start your car. No more annoying messages, and everything works exactly as before. No more explanation of how 'The Relentless Persuit of Perfection' made no provisions for the inevitable transition from Analog to Digital technology. But they are excused because they build awesome cars!

See attached photos for visual explanation of the process, if anyone needs anything, or clarification, please ask and I'll help anyway I can.

Lexi (my car) is a 2003 base model with ML sound system. Not sure if this works for other years outside of the third generation.

Lastly; Enjoy the Silence!!

Rick aka Enigma25

Last edited by enigma25; 04-07-17 at 06:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 08:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Great instructions but I haven't heard this voice in my car.
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 08:27 PM
enigma25
Rookie

I'm not sure what years are affected, but consider yourself lucky! The voice says the same thing every time you start the car!! Maddening I tell you! Maddening!! Ok, I'm being dramatic, but it is annoying AF!
Old 04-07-17, 07:37 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That was the old analog Lexus Link system (similar to On Star). Lexus killed the service in 2008 or 9, I think. Even when my car was new I never bothered to subscribe to the service and that voice, as you call it, was indeed maddening. Every single time you'd turn the car on she'd say her thing (not talking about my wife here). There was a TSB where the dealer would swap out the Lexus Link module (in the overhead area by the map lights) with a very useful sun glass holder. No charge to disgruntled customers back then! I wonder if a dealer would still perform that TSB on an old LS?!
Old 04-08-17, 10:15 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by campisi
That was the old analog Lexus Link system (similar to On Star). Lexus killed the service in 2008 or 9, I think. Even when my car was new I never bothered to subscribe to the service and that voice, as you call it, was indeed maddening. Every single time you'd turn the car on she'd say her thing (not talking about my wife here). There was a TSB where the dealer would swap out the Lexus Link module (in the overhead area by the map lights) with a very useful sun glass holder. No charge to disgruntled customers back then! I wonder if a dealer would still perform that TSB on an old LS?!
The following post has the TSB: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8693272

I remember someone on this forum finding out that the "limited service campaign" for removing Lexus Link and installing a sunglasses holder expired many years ago.

I assume that the digital cellular replacement service - "Safety Connect" - is going to have a far longer lifespan since Toyota appears to be making it a standard feature even on it's most inexpensive vehicles. The Safety Connect subscription in one of our vehicles expires in a few days and I'll be renewing again.