My 2005 arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 08:59 AM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Thanks!
Yes, I do love the 18's on this car. The 430 is timeless IMO, still looks great 12 years old

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
maybe it's just me but the factory 18's make the car, and I like how there's little overhang past the front axle. Car still looks good in 2017...
Old 03-13-17, 09:21 AM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

The only problem I have encountered - the cd changer won't load cd's - they go in and come right back out. I haven't disconnected the battery yet to try and reset it. Besides that, car is good.
Old 03-13-17, 10:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SixSeven
Thanks - Yes, I tend to look for one owner low mileage - there seem to be plenty out there in FL. My last 2005 had appx 42k on it - and it was 10 years old.
I prefer the darker interiors as well.
Beautiful car. I live in FL and Wilde has a great reputation. You also found an owner who did the timing belt based on age of the car as opposed to mileage. That's the holy grail - based on the demographic in Sarasota, I think you found grandma's church car. Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
SixSeven (03-20-17)
Old 03-13-17, 02:15 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find! That's super low miles. I will search FL for my next car.

Enjoy it!
SixSeven (03-20-17)
Old 03-13-17, 02:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a black 430 as well and I wouldnt mind one in white. beautiful find congrats
SixSeven (03-20-17)
Old 03-13-17, 05:02 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on an amazing find. I am still shocked when one of these gems surfaces with such low miles.

As for BBB, I don't trust them at all. A few years ago the BBB called my wife's dental practice. We thought we were in trouble for something. When we returned their call it was just the BBB asking if we would like to pay to become members and be rated with the BBB. Seems to be a huge conflict of interest there. I didn't realize businesses are solicited to join. We declined their offer to join and I've been skeptical of the BBB ever since.
SixSeven (03-20-17)
Old 03-13-17, 08:42 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats! Another sweet twin brother of mine color combo-wise!

Maybe get the coolant and brake fluid replaced?

I always wondered, is it official, that at the first or 90k timing belt change, Lexus only does the belt and water pump, and leaves the idler, tensioner pulley, and tensioner? The only dealer who suggested it to me stated the $1400 does just the two parts, the others are done next time....
I keep hearing about idler, etc not getting replaced. Does anyone know what the official Lexus policy is? The dealer did the TB on my 04 at 90k. 15k later, am getting a whine from engine compartment that keeps getting worse. Lots of possible explanations (PS, alternator, belt, etc) but I'd like to start w/ the idler, etc. if it wasn't done. Also if the whine is the PS pump, OK to replace just this? Dealer says must replace both pump and rack. True?
Old 03-13-17, 08:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I keep hearing about idler, etc not getting replaced. Does anyone know what the official Lexus policy is? The dealer did the TB on my 04 at 90k. 15k later, am getting a whine from engine compartment that keeps getting worse. Lots of possible explanations (PS, alternator, belt, etc) but I'd like to start w/ the idler, etc. if it wasn't done. Also if the whine is the PS pump, OK to replace just this? Dealer says must replace both pump and rack. True?
My mechanic just did the TB on our 06 a few months ago. He inspected the idler pulley(s) and tensioner and asked if we wanted to do them at the same time and save some money on the labor. I can't recall when idler pulleys and tensioners are recommended to be replaced, but it was some far out number like 120K or 150K miles (maybe even 180K). I distinctively recall telling him I'll do it at the "next timing belt change", and since I changed the timing belt at 60K (11.4 years old) it would mean I'll be due sometime near 150K. Hope that is somewhat helpful.
Old 03-14-17, 04:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is what I'm afraid of with dealers....they don't ask, they don't do them at 90k. So when they quote $1,400, this is the equivalent of $700's or sometimes even $600's at indies depending. When there is a failure, is there 100% certainty that it was the water pump (shouldn't actually be the belt itself, but another contributing factor such as a leak or something binds up), and not the idler or tensioner pulley, or tensioner? Most of the time this entire job is peace of mind, nothing more, since people have pushed the belt well beyond 130k. So without spending the extra $75 in my case, I wouldn't have the piece of mind that the job should give....my .02 Also, the two flavors of Aisin kits do not leave out the idler and tensioner pulley, what did the garage do with those pieces then (or they did not use an Aisin kit maybe OEM a la carte more $$$$)? The two flavors of the kit include or do not include the tensioner...
Old 03-14-17, 04:02 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, Wilde Lexus in Sarasota is my local dealer and they have always done superb work on both of my Lexus cars. Not cheap (what AD is?) but, as far as I know, they are honest and competent. You should be good to go.
SixSeven (03-20-17)
Old 03-14-17, 06:12 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The only problem I have encountered - the cd changer won't load cd's - they go in and come right back out. I haven't disconnected the battery yet to try and reset it. Besides that, car is good.
I just had a weird problem....been buying commercial cds again, and from a 2 disc set, disc 1 skipped. Got a replacement, and it's identical. So I don't think it's my car, but very odd and I was very careful not to touch the underside of the replacement cd when inserting it.

But what I did try when the disc skipped, was to rotate it through all 6, to make sure I didn't have a certain position which skipped for some reason. Is your changer empty, when you try to put something in?

if it's not full, you should be able to push load, and it blinks green, and it chooses a spot. Or, you can eject a certain number 1-6, then insert. Are you getting a flashing green, when you're inserting...
Old 03-20-17, 08:59 AM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - Yes, Yelp is like that in many ways IMO.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Congrats on an amazing find. I am still shocked when one of these gems surfaces with such low miles.

As for BBB, I don't trust them at all. A few years ago the BBB called my wife's dental practice. We thought we were in trouble for something. When we returned their call it was just the BBB asking if we would like to pay to become members and be rated with the BBB. Seems to be a huge conflict of interest there. I didn't realize businesses are solicited to join. We declined their offer to join and I've been skeptical of the BBB ever since.
Old 03-20-17, 09:10 AM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ~
Yes, they were great.
I have dealt with many dealers - Wilde and Ed Morse Cadillac in Delray Beach, FL - both awesome to work with.
The car was cleaner than they described - and they said it was mint, except for a small scuff on the bumper and a few chips on a few of the wheels.
Had the car clay'ed/ and waxed (?) and the scuff came right out.

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
For what it's worth, Wilde Lexus in Sarasota is my local dealer and they have always done superb work on both of my Lexus cars. Not cheap (what AD is?) but, as far as I know, they are honest and competent. You should be good to go.
Old 03-20-17, 09:11 AM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

thanks - I will have to try again - yes, it is empty, and I am getting a flashing green.

I just had a weird problem....been buying commercial cds again, and from a 2 disc set, disc 1 skipped. Got a replacement, and it's identical. So I don't think it's my car, but very odd and I was very careful not to touch the underside of the replacement cd when inserting it.

But what I did try when the disc skipped, was to rotate it through all 6, to make sure I didn't have a certain position which skipped for some reason. Is your changer empty, when you try to put something in?

if it's not full, you should be able to push load, and it blinks green, and it chooses a spot. Or, you can eject a certain number 1-6, then insert. Are you getting a flashing green, when you're inserting...
Old 03-20-17, 09:27 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks - Yes, Yelp is like that in many ways IMO.
Agree on both. Used BBB to research until I found it's paid membership. With Yelp, the key is the numbers of reviews. Just a few? Not willing to believe posters don't have some relationship w/ the business being evaluated. If there are many, then there's more objectivity.

Quick Reply: My 2005 arrived today