LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Brakes & Rotors Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 10:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I apologize.....With all the parts I have purchased for my car, I do get mixed up with which vendors I purchased what. I believe I used Autohause to purchase my Koyo wheel bearing hub. As far as all my rotors and pads, I believe I went on ebay and ended up getting them from a Lexus dealer from that site. Whichever one was the best price at that time. Can't recall any dealership names. Good luck.
cool....I've convinced myself that I'll go all OEM on the rear brakes, bolts included, with the exception of the rear sensor (that's just over the top!)....OEM probably does cost a little more, maybe we're better off not calculating it or we'll change our minds!
Old 02-14-17, 10:48 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosson3ri
So I need to change all of my brakes and rotors.

Mechanic I usually go to is saying it's going to cost me around $950 to do the job. I was thinking it would be more around the $600 range.

not even thinking about going to the dealer because I would think it's even more.

any thoughts anyone? Is $950 reasonable?
After some reseach, they are fairly easy to replace... Looked on ebay...OEM versions I looked over front ones were $230 shipped. So hardware is about $400-500 (depending on where you buy) for all 4, One time I went to autozone, grabbed off the shelf models for all 4 (pads and rotors), it cost me $310.

So hardware itself is about $300-600 depending if OEM or not. We did a set ourselfes, and it took about 15-20 min to do each wheel. It was not hard if you had the right tools.

So a shop I would estimate under 2 hours to do the job. Based on about $100 an hour (normal shop rates, even the lower end shops might be less) and OEM hardware I would not pay MORE than $800 and even that is high. So, $500-600 for non OEM parts would be fair.
Old 02-14-17, 11:22 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
After some reseach, they are fairly easy to replace... Looked on ebay...OEM versions I looked over front ones were $230 shipped. So hardware is about $400-500 (depending on where you buy) for all 4, One time I went to autozone, grabbed off the shelf models for all 4 (pads and rotors), it cost me $310.

So hardware itself is about $300-600 depending if OEM or not. We did a set ourselfes, and it took about 15-20 min to do each wheel. It was not hard if you had the right tools.

So a shop I would estimate under 2 hours to do the job. Based on about $100 an hour (normal shop rates, even the lower end shops might be less) and OEM hardware I would not pay MORE than $800 and even that is high. So, $500-600 for non OEM parts would be fair.
I had an Indy shop do the work for all 4 rotors and pads. It cost me $100 a pair and about $450-$500 in OEM rotors and pads and new flange bolts. $700 sounds about right for everything..
Old 02-14-17, 06:50 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I had an Indy shop do the work for all 4 rotors and pads. It cost me $100 a pair and about $450-$500 in OEM rotors and pads and new flange bolts. $700 sounds about right for everything..
Hey Boca, didn't your shop charge you $190 to press out and in and replace the LCA bushings? Sounds like they are very reasonable...at $100/axle they really aren't making much installing your parts...great deal!
Old 02-15-17, 10:44 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I've used Centric Premium e-coated rotors. They're very close to an OE substitute at a reduced cost.
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (12-19-23)
Old 02-15-17, 11:09 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Hey Boca, didn't your shop charge you $190 to press out and in and replace the LCA bushings? Sounds like they are very reasonable...at $100/axle they really aren't making much installing your parts...great deal!
. Actually I have my original LCA bushings. They have been cracked since purchasing the car 7 years ago but no noise or steering play. Yes this shop is reasonable and my tech used to be the service manager at a Lexus dealership! He really knows my car. Super honest too!
Old 02-15-17, 11:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

. Actually I have my original LCA bushings. They have been cracked since purchasing the car 7 years ago but no noise or steering play. Yes this shop is reasonable and my tech used to be the service manager at a Lexus dealership! He really knows my car. Super honest too!
Gotcha! ok ok now I know whom I was thinking of that paid $190 for the LCA bushings to be pressed out and in....I was using that as a benchmark up here in NJ, and thought ok I'm paying more, maybe it's a bit better priced in FLA....but again that price is great on the brakes...
Old 02-15-17, 12:31 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Gotcha! ok ok now I know whom I was thinking of that paid $190 for the LCA bushings to be pressed out and in....I was using that as a benchmark up here in NJ, and thought ok I'm paying more, maybe it's a bit better priced in FLA....but again that price is great on the brakes...
Here in Florida, you have to be extremely lucky to find a reputable Indy shop to work on any car out of warranty. The shops down here love to prey on the elderly and anyone not knowledgeable. It's pretty disgusting. That's why there are so many leased cars where I live as once the car is out of warranty it is useless to own. Besides, new cars are so prohibitively expensive, it no longer pays to purchase. That's one of the reasons I am holding on to my LS430. It's value is pretty much at the bottom, and it pays to repair than to buy a newer car and deal with depreciation as well as up keep. The key here is to find a reliable repair shop. Not an easy task!
Old 02-15-17, 01:34 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

it'd be nice to start a Repair Directory on this site...
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 02:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Daspyda
it'd be nice to start a Repair Directory on this site...
Great Idea! I'll give my vote.
Old 02-16-17, 06:35 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a free tool called mapalist which can do that. I sent an email to our forum admin.
Old 02-16-17, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Great Idea! I'll give my vote.
The good guys will have all the work they could ever imagine, imho they're a little like a throwback where folks actually cared about what they're doing. Many new car dealers and shops don't care. One of the worst experiences is airline travel. Even though you can't accomplish what you want, unless you're "elite" you're shuffled off to a kiosk. At least this AM, I am checking baggage, there are 6 agents doing nothing, and a greeter tells me I have to use the kiosk. Funny, the kiosk can't look me up by last name, so she tells me to go to the rude agent....lol

Last time, the rude agent would not put my frequent flyer into the system. Then, I called on the phone, said she did it, and did not. Called again, and the person said they cannot do it by last name, by flight number, by confirmation number, I would have to find my boarding pass. Aha!! It's right here mommy!! Anything to say no...hehe The value of paper, and doing things the old fashioned ways...
Old 02-16-17, 02:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

The good guys will have all the work they could ever imagine, imho they're a little like a throwback where folks actually cared about what they're doing. Many new car dealers and shops don't care. One of the worst experiences is airline travel. Even though you can't accomplish what you want, unless you're "elite" you're shuffled off to a kiosk. At least this AM, I am checking baggage, there are 6 agents doing nothing, and a greeter tells me I have to use the kiosk. Funny, the kiosk can't look me up by last name, so she tells me to go to the rude agent....lol

Last time, the rude agent would not put my frequent flyer into the system. Then, I called on the phone, said she did it, and did not. Called again, and the person said they cannot do it by last name, by flight number, by confirmation number, I would have to find my boarding pass. Aha!! It's right here mommy!! Anything to say no...hehe The value of paper, and doing things the old fashioned ways...
Key word here is MOTIVATION.
Old 07-26-21, 04:43 PM
DJJJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace brake rotors and pads

My dealership, Lexus in San Jose CA, quoted $750.00 for all 4 rotors and pads
Old 07-26-21, 10:46 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

That’s def a good deal. The only question I would have is if they turned the rotors or replaced. I don’t think anyone can argue the price either way. Dealerships here in the PNW wouldn’t even touch brakes for that.

On our LX570 I had installed the power stop extreme rotors and pads and had pretty good success with them so I had in the back of my mind.

I started getting a small vibration on the LS a few months ago so I decided to do the rears since the fronts were recently done by the PO (pads brand new). I did them myself, but one of the rear rotors I bought from O’reilly did not seem to set well. After a month of running them and small droning when breaking I decided to change all 4 to the power stop Evo drilled slotted rotors. On the Lx they are coated and do not seem to rust or change color which was a driver. So far, so good and the fitment was much better than the store brand so I am happy. I would have done oem but I really wanted the coating these have. So far, so good.

Quick Reply: New Brakes & Rotors Cost