LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 05:27 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann
I've seen LS430s go past 250k on the transmissions. But I've also put a lot of transmissions in them before that. Mine is a 2004 that was just past the VIN range for the recall and sometimes it shifts a little harsh. I doubt mine will make it to 250k.
So at 273K miles on the '01 clock, should I feel fortunate that I've had no issues with my trans? I've been doing drain and fills since about 125K miles, more recently every 25K miles. It shifts like butter throughout all 5 speeds and accelerates dropping down a gear on the expressway like it did when it had 19K miles.
Old 02-14-17, 06:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann

I've never seen an extension housing leak on a LS. I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche with 217k on it. The extension housing is leaking on it but they are known for that output bearing going bad and causing that leak. Hopefully that's not what is happening on your LS. If it were me, I would take the car to a dealer and have them drain the transmission fluid. They will fill it to the correct level based on the temperature of the fluid. That way you know that it isn't over filled and coming out of the vent on top of the transmission. I've seen that look like a trans leak.
Thanks...Ruh roh....well, at 87k, I wouldn't think the original owners (2) would have serviced it yet...will just have to see what happens, don't want to invent problems for myself....I believe the tech who worked on the drain and fill knew what he was talking about, he was telling me it would be hard for me to do it properly at home....and they said they will never perform a flush, only drain and fill which would ideally replace 3 quarts at a time....

edit this thread seems to also say it's hard to do properly at home

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post3377268

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-14-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 06:55 PM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default original TB/WP finally replaced after 238K miles!!

Hello everyone...So this week I had the original TB/WP finally replaced after 238K miles!! I know some folks wanted pics, so I saved all the parts like I said I would, I just am not sure of how to post pics?? (maybe someone can walk me through it?)...But while in there, I decided to go the extra mile for her (since she seems to be doing the same for me), Had the camshaft seals and fresh plugs done in addition to the extensive items replaced with the TB/WP service...I went with only oem toyota, aisin, denso, etc...Every original part removed would have probably went much further (bearings, pump, seals, tensioner, etc)...However, from the looks of things, only the timing belt was in need of replacing after 14 years. The teeth were fine, the edges were fine , but on the smooth outer side of the belt, you could see "checking" or as it would pertain to a tire, looked a bit like "dry rot"....It was consistant, and basically around the entire belt...It may have lasted many more miles, but then again, old rubber is nothing to mess with. (Thats why I have to swap my class A RV tires out after 7 years even though they might only have 5K miles on them)...So from what I see, when it comes to the LS timing belt, I dont think the mileage is as important as the time (especially if its a lot of highway miles since most stress is applied at start-up). Belts/rubber degrades over time. And after 14 years my timing belt had developed "checking" ....Again, I saved all the parts, but not sure how to add a pic to this site.
The following 2 users liked this post by deweronick:
e60bmw (03-04-17), SixSeven (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 08:29 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by deweronick
Hello everyone...So this week I had the original TB/WP finally replaced after 238K miles!!

...So from what I see, when it comes to the LS timing belt, I dont think the mileage is as important as the time (especially if its a lot of highway miles since most stress is applied at start-up). Belts/rubber degrades over time. And after 14 years my timing belt had developed "checking"
Well, since there were 2.6 times the number of miles driven on the belt vs 2.3 times the standard replacement time interval I'm going to say the wear was attributed more to mileage than age.

I'm sure you're glad you got it done regardless. Drive on...