LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New owner intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 06:24 PM
Darshadow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner intro

Hello all just purchased a 2001 LS430 with the sports suspension, nav, and ML audio. I've only owned it for about 2 weeks now but its a great daily commuter. It does have 175K miles and is starting to show it in fun and interesting ways. Its currently at my local Lexus dealership getting a new steering rack, would not have purchased this specific one if I knew that, my fault for not getting a PPI. List of current things the dealership advised me about, and ones I've noticed so far:
  • New steering rack (being completely replaced by Lexus atm)
  • Front lower control arm bushing (I'll order and install new ones)
  • Front lower ball joints (on order already will install at home)
  • Valve and spark plug gaskets (same as above will order and do at home)
  • Transmission pan gasket( same as above)
Those are the only issues at the moment that I will be tackling. Future plans include: beatsonic bypass and double din mount, Android auto headunit, back-up camera, window tint, and possibly a set of new wheels and tires.

Quick question:
My current parts shopping list is:Part No.DescriptionPriceQty.Subtotal48640-50050ARM ASSY, SUSPENSION
[LS430 2001 USA UCF30L-AEAGKA]$230.59
Update
Remove$230.5948620-50050ARM ASSY, SUSPENSION
[LS430 2001 USA UCF30L-AEAGKA]$230.59
Update
Remove$230.5948652-50030BRACKET, FR LWR ARM
[LS430 2001 USA UCF30L-AEAGKA]$70.64
Update
Remove$141.2848655-50011BUSH, LWR ARM, NO.2
Replaced by: 48655-50012$84.40
Update
Remove$168.8011193-16010GASKET, SPARK PLUG T
[LS430 2001 USA UCF30L-AEAGKA]
Replaced by: 11193-70010$2.58
Update
Remove$20.64 That should cover the parts. Any advice on online ordering from either mylparts or lexuspartsnow? I'm buying the new bracket and arm bushings so I can have them pressed in before I start the install. I've been searching for the past couple days on DIYs for these jobs and they've been helpful but any extra advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails New owner intro-20161114_173841.jpg  
Old 11-27-16, 06:48 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats odd weve had 2 members doing racks the past week. very rare to hear on these cars.

thats cool you got the sport suspension. i just upgraded mine to some sport items.

for the bushings check out figs engineering. they have billet brackets and lca bushings already pressed in.

welcome to the forum and post pics when you get a chance.
Old 11-28-16, 07:04 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome aboard Dar! Good choice. What did you have to pay for the LS?
Old 11-28-16, 04:54 PM
Darshadow
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bmore I hadn't seen too many rack threads here before buying mine, but heck things happen. I have looked at fig engineering's bushings and brackets, is there any real difference with just replacing one of the LCA bushings with poly? As for the price, well its was around $6300, about 1k over kbb. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew of the issues this particular car had, but now that I have I'll just kick myself and get on with the repairs.
Old 11-28-16, 05:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats! Let us know if Lexus parts works. I called them with questions and some lady was really rude. I tried to get the $15 floor mats. A 2nd Toyota dealer claimed it was a mistake and offered to sell them at $70 each, after I had already paid! Still trying to find a reliable Oem parts source myself. When prices are bogus etc. a week goes by and order is ultimately cxld, wasting time....
Old 11-30-16, 06:53 PM
Darshadow
Driver School Candidate

I finally got the car back from Lexus today, steering feels much heavier. I also placed a order through mlparts for the lower control cars and through figs engineering for the rear bushing for the lcas. I have another question, in the picture below there seem to be cracks near the rear defroster lines. I have cleaned the back glass so I am wondering if this is factory tint starting to wear out. If so that means I need to spend a weekend removing all the old tint before taking the car in for the new tint to be applied. Any input would be great. Also have shots from smog and the old vs new AC filter.
Attached Thumbnails New owner intro-20161130_171121.jpg   New owner intro-20161114_121549.jpg   New owner intro-20161115_091904.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 08:34 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Darshadow
Also have shots from smog and the old vs new AC filter.
The cabin air filter looks like the original! It was probably choking off the fan air too. Now you'll be able to breathe fresh air!
Old 12-01-16, 10:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I finally got the car back from Lexus today, steering feels much heavier. I also placed a order through mlparts for the lower control cars and through figs engineering for the rear bushing for the lcas. I have another question, in the picture below there seem to be cracks near the rear defroster lines. I have cleaned the back glass so I am wondering if this is factory tint starting to wear out. If so that means I need to spend a weekend removing all the old tint before taking the car in for the new tint to be applied. Any input would be great. Also have shots from smog and the old vs new AC filter.
. Be very very careful removing rear tint. You can damage the rear defogger and that glass is mucho dollars! I would leave it to a professional but most will not guarantee the removal will not damage the defroster. Good luck.
Old 12-01-16, 03:52 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Thanks bmore I hadn't seen too many rack threads here before buying mine, but heck things happen. I have looked at fig engineering's bushings and brackets, is there any real difference with just replacing one of the LCA bushings with poly? As for the price, well its was around $6300, about 1k over kbb. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew of the issues this particular car had, but now that I have I'll just kick myself and get on with the repairs.
I spoke with Figs and they said that large bushing on each side is the main one you will notice a big difference when it is replaced. If you watch the video on their site it looks like a big difference in function from the stock to the poly.

I'll be ordering a set when it's time to upgrade the front end on my car.
Old 12-01-16, 05:35 PM
Darshadow
Driver School Candidate

@Bocatrip Thanks I've done rear tint removal on my old, totaled, SC400. It was a insane bear and took probably 6hrs in the GA sun. Hopefully this time will be fast and if I mess up, well you told me so.

@bmore430 I did see the comparison video and will update once they come in and I get them installed.
Old 12-02-16, 04:31 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
I spoke with Figs and they said that large bushing on each side is the main one you will notice a big difference when it is replaced. If you watch the video on their site it looks like a big difference in function from the stock to the poly.

I'll be ordering a set when it's time to upgrade the front end on my car.
There's the handling vs luxury question. It's great if you can make it handle better and not lose much of the Lex smooth. Using Lex sports springs and struts is a good improvement. Less body roll on freeway ramps and not as much front end movement with hard braking. Still freeway smooth and quiet. Ever driven a LS w/ poly? Any LS w/ suspension mods?
Old 12-02-16, 05:48 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
There's the handling vs luxury question. It's great if you can make it handle better and not lose much of the Lex smooth. Using Lex sports springs and struts is a good improvement. Less body roll on freeway ramps and not as much front end movement with hard braking. Still freeway smooth and quiet. Ever driven a LS w/ poly? Any LS w/ suspension mods?
I upgraded to the rear sport swaybar and rear sport shocks with polyurethane endlinks and kept stock springs. Noticed a huge improvement in handling and body roll and the suspension is whisper quiet and car still rides like shes on a cloud. I would do the sport struts on front with figs bushings and new balljoints keeping the stock springs. That should tighten everything up while still keeping the ride quality. Hopefully someone who runs the FIGs units can report back.
Old 12-02-16, 05:52 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

@Bocatrip Thanks I've done rear tint removal on my old, totaled, SC400. It was a insane bear and took probably 6hrs in the GA sun. Hopefully this time will be fast and if I mess up, well you told me so.

@bmore430 I did see the comparison video and will update once they come in and I get them installed.
I look forward to your experience once you get them installed. Once my bank account bounces back from the recent repairs Ill be placing my order.
Old 12-03-16, 01:19 PM
Darshadow
Driver School Candidate

Just wrapped up the lower ball joints. Old ones were easy to move by hand once they were removed but interestingly the rubber boots were not damaged. Had a honest moment with myself when putting everything back together, I'm going to have a shop do the lower control arms. While I never felt unsure of myself when working on my previous cars, an accord, integra, and sc400, I felt super unsure about this install. I followed the lower control arm DIY thread to the letter but still feel iffy. Oh well, I'll handle the less intensive tasks, brake pads and rotors, when needed.
Old 12-03-16, 02:16 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Why are you replacing the entire lower control arm? The only bushing that usually wears is the rear one (lower control arm bushing #2, according to Lexus) which is serviceable without removing the arm. You shouldn't need new brackets either. Two bolts and one big nut and the bracket with the bushing is off of the car. You can then press out the old bushings and press in the new ones or have a shop do it for a few bucks. I did both sides on my car in less than an hour total.

If your steering is notably stiffer than before the dealer may have forgotten to reconnect the wiring to the PPS solenoid on the new rack. I forgot to reconnect mine one time and it felt like I was only getting about 50% power assist. It's a small 2 wire connector that plugs in near where the steering shaft meets the rack.

Last edited by 911LE; 12-03-16 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: New owner intro