LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bumper cover repaint- millenium silver

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 01:11 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Bumper cover repaint- millenium silver

I had both my front and rear bumper covers repainted on my 2001 LS430 (Millenium Silver) due to fading from a previous paint job. I own my car for around 7 years and can't know for sure when the bumper covers were repainted. The rest of the car is 100% original paint on all metal surfaces. When I picked the car up from the shop, I noticed at a distance (when it was just starting to get dark outside), the difference in color where the top part of the rear bumper cover meets the rear quarter. The next day in bright sunlight, depending upon what angle the sun was at would determine how much contrast there was between the rear quarter and the bumper cover. At some angles it was very close, at extreme angles at a distance it would look dramatically off. Let me say, I do understand how paint shows differently on plastic bumper covers and on metal. I also understand the term "Paint Flop", where certain metallics and 3 stage paints are affected by the sunlight and how the metallic flakes in the paint react to light at different angles. Bottom line is this, for those owners who have had their bumper covers repainted (with either metallic or 3 stage paint), how did the rear cover come out? Of course I am directing all my attention to the one area and probably wouldn't notice it that much over time. By the way, the front bumper looks superb, but I understand it is a different design and meets the front fenders differently. I'm very **** and that is why I'm starting this thread. I showed the job to another shop, and they said they could get it somewhat better, but I know matching bumper covers and body panels (without blending) is a difficult feat to get it very close on an older car. I can ask to have the rear redone, but I'm not sure I'm just wasting my time.
Old 11-13-16, 02:34 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I had my rear bumper (04, silver) replaced and paint due to minor rear damage recently. It's a perfect match.
Old 11-13-16, 03:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I had my rear bumper (04, silver) replaced and paint due to minor rear damage recently. It's a perfect match.
Thanks Jay... The only experience I have had with repainted plastic bumpers was my G35 Coupe which had the front bumper repainted 3 times and replaced once. It was a pearl white (3 stage metallic) and although very close to the front fenders, it was never absolutely perfect and it was done by 2 different Infiniti certified shops. Also I'm an extreme perfectionist.My LS430 is definitely more noticeable.
Old 11-14-16, 08:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My 01's rear cover is in need of a re-spray. Mine is Millennium Silver as well and I'm more than a little concerned that it won't match after all these years. I'm having the front cover repainted on my 05 LS because some clown swiped the left front corner of the bumper in a parking lot and scuffed it up. That one is Gold. The shop tells me that the paint should match very well when it's all done, so we'll see what they can do before I take the 01 over there...

Back about 8-9 years ago, I had a 2002 Silver Bonneville that I replaced the rear bumper cover and had it painted. It was close but not exactly the same, so I do hope they can match the paint better now.
Old 11-14-16, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks Jay... The only experience I have had with repainted plastic bumpers was my G35 Coupe which had the front bumper repainted 3 times and replaced once. It was a pearl white (3 stage metallic) and although very close to the front fenders, it was never absolutely perfect and it was done by 2 different Infiniti certified shops. Also I'm an extreme perfectionist.My LS430 is definitely more noticeable.
My Maxima is a pearl, and when the fender rusted, my uncle said why try to find a fender from a junkyard, just get an aftermarket they're so cheap. So the shop next to him said they'd do it and not even charge anything. Fender is $37, so far so good, I'm looking up the paint code now. Comes back, sorry, we can't do it unless you really want to, the paint will be over $300/pint, I think you're better off pulling one from a junkyard. Well, could not find an arctic white car scrapped, plenty of white.

I always found that with something like this, one needs at least the base coat, and it doesn't come out right....this is just the tint coat
https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Genuin.../dp/B01AVVEPPS
Old 11-14-16, 11:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Firstly, It's helpful to understand all the variables involved in painting plastic bumper covers in 3 stage metallic paints and trying to get a close match when butting it up to sometimes an older painted metal surface. There are "paint flop" issues where the sun causes the metallic in the paint to show differently at different angles. Even if the paint is exact on the bumper at one spot on the fender it is touching, it may look different at a different part of the fender, or even at the hood which it might be adjacent too. In essence you might be adjusting one area for uniformity, only to make another area look off. To give a great example of "paint flop", use the new Camaro as an example, focusing in where the rear of the door meets the ront of the rear quarter panel/fender. It many cases it has been so noticeable straight from the factory, that a notice was sent out to owners explaining there was no defect, and going into more detail about how metallic paint reacts differently to adjacent body panels in the sun, even if painted at the same time. Ultimately, I have decided to leave all alone on my 01 LS430 as 3 different body shops told me it is probably as close as it will get, and if tried again, it might be worse. It's not an exact science. The shop told me they would do it again, but also mentioned it might be worse as they have gone through this many times. So much for looking for perfection.There are bigger battles to fight.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-14-16 at 11:10 AM.