LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

About to visit the shop - help me pre diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 03:24 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question About to visit the shop - help me pre diagnose?

I just e-mailed my local shop hoping to get some information on what's up with my car. Most of the "problems" I'd say are minor and just come with an aging car, but I'm getting them looked at just in case they're actually major. I hope the shop doesn't take advantage of the situation and tell me all sorts of things need to be repaired when maybe they're just fine. Can anyone help me diagnose some of the issues beforehand? Here is the e-mail I sent to the shop with all the details:

"I'd like to bring in my '01 LS430 soon for some repairs and diagnoses. I've had a minor transmission leak since I bought the car, so it's time to have that repaired and have fresh fluid, too. Both shift shaft seals need to be replaced and I believe the transmission pan may need to be resealed as well.

Some other concerns that I'd like to have at least diagnosed and possibly fixed based on severity and cost:
The car gives off a bad smell under heavy acceleration. It used to be rotten egg smell and I thought it may be a bad cat, but have never had exhaust related codes come up. This rotten egg smell started after my last servicing at the dealership over a year ago when I had my valve cover gaskets replaced and the oil pan resealed. Not sure if they sabotaged something or it was just coincidence.

About 3-4 months ago the smell changed and is no longer a rotten egg smell but has become a burning smell. I noticed the smell was particularly bad the last two times I drove up into the mountains. The temperature gauge remained at a normal level and I didn't feel that the performance of the car was affected. A few days ago I was driving up a particularly steep hill with heavy acceleration and the burning smell was there. I parked at my friend's house at the top of the hill and there was a little bit of smoke coming from the engine that I could see in the light of my headlights. I'm not sure what color it was, maybe white or a light gray. I don't have any noticeable smoke coming from the rear of the car, other than the usual white smoke when I first start it up in the morning.

I don't believe the car to be burning more oil than normal - on my last regular 5k oil change about a week ago, it drained out 3/4 quarts less than I had initially filled the last time. This was concerning at first, but I read on the forums than burning 1 quart per 5k miles is "acceptable" by Lexus' standards for the 460. I'm not sure what the acceptable range is for the 430. The car does leak about 2 drops of fluid per week, but I believe this is from the transmission. The oil leaks I've had in the past should be all fixed now (hopefully).

The car has also given off heat in the center console area ever since I bought it. Some say this could also be a symptom of a bad cat or perhaps a heat shield is missing.

Sorry for the lengthy e-mail, I just want you to have all this information to refer to while the car is being looked at. Anyways, let me know what day I can bring her in and we can discuss the issues further.

Thanks,
Heather"

So far I'm thinking my catalytic converter is most likely starting to go bad. Maybe it's not bad enough to throw codes yet but is on its way out and will probably need to be replaced before my next smog in June. Maybe O2 sensors need to be replaced as well? That's probably never been done.

I'm really hoping I don't have a bad head gasket. I don't know whether or not the car is actually burning oil but if it is, it isn't much. The engine bay is pretty dirty; hasn't been cleaned as long as I've had it. Maybe the dirt and build up is just causing a bad smell with high heat. Should I have the engine steam cleaned? Any other ideas before I go into this would be helpful!
Old 12-26-15, 04:11 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have your father, brother (or any man will do) bring your car to the mechanic because you will most likely be taken advantage.
Probably be a good idea, if you have a male friend or sibling that is competent with cars to look over the areas you described.
Old 12-26-15, 04:21 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Have your father, brother (or any man will do) bring your car to the mechanic because you will most likely be taken advantage.
Probably be a good idea, if you have a male friend or sibling that is competent with cars to look over the areas you described.
Lol my male friends come to me with their car problems and my mechanic should know by now I'm not your average girl because last time he wanted to charge so much for a simple oil control valve replacement and I told him I'll do it myself.

Average servicing and basic repairs I always do myself. These problems however have stumped me and seem like they could be caused by a variety of things, some of which I already have a general idea and am just looking for confirmation or more ideas of what else could be wrong.

Last edited by heathervb; 12-26-15 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 05:01 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ha....he walked right into that one.

Anyway sounds like you are looking in all the right areas. Toyotas cats are known for rotten egg smell after hard acceleration .....my 04 will egg you out every time. The burning small is one that would drive me crazy........You have had a bunch of work done to your car...I wonder if any work was done recently. For example on my work truck the clowns at the shop missed the hole while filling my truck with oil....this leaked into crevices that were impossible to clean. I drove around for 2 weeks with an unbearable burning smell in my truck....I was pissed! So in your case you say the ole gal is leaking fluids....if that tranny fluid drips on your exhaust it will give you that burning smell big time. Since u are handy and like to work on your car I would pull it up on ramps or even a curb if u dont have ramps....crawl under the car assuming safety precautions are all in place and look with a bright flashlight for what is leaking on something hot. Good luck to ya.......sorry to hear she is after your wallet .......or is your car a he? Either way...good luck
Old 12-26-15, 09:44 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Ha....he walked right into that one.

Anyway sounds like you are looking in all the right areas. Toyotas cats are known for rotten egg smell after hard acceleration .....my 04 will egg you out every time. The burning small is one that would drive me crazy........You have had a bunch of work done to your car...I wonder if any work was done recently. For example on my work truck the clowns at the shop missed the hole while filling my truck with oil....this leaked into crevices that were impossible to clean. I drove around for 2 weeks with an unbearable burning smell in my truck....I was pissed! So in your case you say the ole gal is leaking fluids....if that tranny fluid drips on your exhaust it will give you that burning smell big time. Since u are handy and like to work on your car I would pull it up on ramps or even a curb if u dont have ramps....crawl under the car assuming safety precautions are all in place and look with a bright flashlight for what is leaking on something hot. Good luck to ya.......sorry to hear she is after your wallet .......or is your car a he? Either way...good luck
It hasn't had any work done lately where fluids would have spilled onto the engine but good point about potential tranny fluid on the exhaust - I really hope that's the case because I'm having that fixed this week anyways. I'll try to get a better look under the car before I take it to the shop and maybe even pressure wash under there and in the engine and see it it helps at all
Old 12-27-15, 07:37 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by heathervb
Lol my male friends come to me with their car problems and my mechanic should know by now I'm not your average girl because last time he wanted to charge so much for a simple oil control valve replacement and I told him I'll do it myself.

Average servicing and basic repairs I always do myself. These problems however have stumped me and seem like they could be caused by a variety of things, some of which I already have a general idea and am just looking for confirmation or more ideas of what else could be wrong.
I believe your idea of cleaning the engine is a good start. I don't know about steam cleaning it but I use a diluted (1 parts SG to 5 parts water) form of Simple Green. Once you have the engine cleaned then after driving the car a week or so inspect areas for drips.

If you have had work performed on your car there could be loose bolts.

Watch this video and read some of the comments.

Old 12-27-15, 10:49 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotten egg smell = probably catalytic converter related.
Center counsel heat = probably transmission or converter heat related.

Have them check your trans fluid level and color.

Has there ever been any front suspension work? If not, or unknown, have them check your front end suspension components and in particular your lower control arm bushings.
Old 12-27-15, 11:08 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

How many miles on car? Have the car plugged in for any error codes. O2 sensors are a downstream result of a fuel issue that can be caused by MAF/AFM, engine temperature coolant sensor or injector that brings on a rich condition. Vacuum lines when cracked can also contribute to this.

When was the last tranny fluid drain? Check the tranny fluid, should be bright red. If it is darker than burgundy, have it drained off and filled. If it is black with particulates floating in it, don't do any flushing of the system. The LS400 guys have been doing an incremental drain to gradually loosen - dissolve the build-up. If it is really band the tranny pan will need to be dropped and the screens, shift solenoids clean or replaced.
Old 12-27-15, 11:50 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by grunner58
Rotten egg smell = probably catalytic converter related.
Center counsel heat = probably transmission or converter heat related.

Have them check your trans fluid level and color.

Has there ever been any front suspension work? If not, or unknown, have them check your front end suspension components and in particular your lower control arm bushings.
I checked the trans fluid level a couple weeks ago and it wasn't low despite the leaking, but the color was very dark. I don't know the full history of the car and the last time it was replaced so I will definitely have that done.

The dealership told me the lower control arm bushings were starting to crack last time I visited. I was going to replace them but then I found out there is another bushing on the lower control arm that can't be replaced and the whole control arm has to be replaced eventually so I figured I may as well replace both control arms but I need to focus on more important repairs first.

Originally Posted by RA40
How many miles on car? Have the car plugged in for any error codes. O2 sensors are a downstream result of a fuel issue that can be caused by MAF/AFM, engine temperature coolant sensor or injector that brings on a rich condition. Vacuum lines when cracked can also contribute to this.

When was the last tranny fluid drain? Check the tranny fluid, should be bright red. If it is darker than burgundy, have it drained off and filled. If it is black with particulates floating in it, don't do any flushing of the system. The LS400 guys have been doing an incremental drain to gradually loosen - dissolve the build-up. If it is really band the tranny pan will need to be dropped and the screens, shift solenoids clean or replaced.
It's at 186k. No error codes currently. Now that I think about it the O2 sensors may be still good since the last time my spark plugs were changed, the old ones looked like new. I think if the car was running rich they would be black I cleaned the MAF not too long ago and also had the coolant temp sensor replaced w/ the timing belt change about 6k miles ago. I also had two cracked vacuum lines replaced a few months ago. Wow now that I think of it I've put so much money and effort into this car lately haha he better not fail me now!
Old 12-27-15, 01:00 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 186K, those lower control arm bushings are shot! You're probably getting a clunking sound on stops but just haven't paid attention to it. I'm afraid there isn't any waiting on those bushings especially at 186K. Don't be surprised if they come back with upper control arm bushings/ball joint being shot as well.
You're looking at some major expenses on this car outside of the trans/converter potential issues.
Old 12-27-15, 03:03 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by grunner58
At 186K, those lower control arm bushings are shot! You're probably getting a clunking sound on stops but just haven't paid attention to it. I'm afraid there isn't any waiting on those bushings especially at 186K. Don't be surprised if they come back with upper control arm bushings/ball joint being shot as well.
You're looking at some major expenses on this car outside of the trans/converter potential issues.
I can only afford so much at a time you know? Trying to assure the engine and tranny are in shape before I start with the suspension. My next major income will be from tax returns in 2-3 months and with that money I'll do the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and either replace the whole lower control arms or at least the bushings for it, then take it in for an alignment. I'm hoping upper ball joints are still good, as I like to only buy OEM parts and each upper control arm is like $450
Old 12-27-15, 04:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Good about the TB service. Many instances the O2 sensors throw a code to let you know they aren't reading right. What kind of MPG is the car getting at this point? Changing the O2 sensors would be good, do this ASAP. If the car us dumping excessive fuel, the cats will not tolerate this to long and the sulfur smell is an indicator.

Definitely do an incremental drain of the tranny fluid till it comes out red. The transmissions are very robust and many of the LS400's have done well with this simple service. This will need to be repeated several times to get the fluid back to red. Varying methods to drain off the ATF fluid that are quite easy for DIY. Make sure it is Toyota Type IV or compatible.

This is the tranny fluid drain procedure:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ion-flush.html
Old 12-27-15, 04:42 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
Good about the TB service. Many instances the O2 sensors throw a code to let you know they aren't reading right. What kind of MPG is the car getting at this point? Changing the O2 sensors would be good, do this ASAP. If the car us dumping excessive fuel, the cats will not tolerate this to long and the sulfur smell is an indicator.

Definitely do an incremental drain of the tranny fluid till it comes out red. The transmissions are very robust and many of the LS400's have done well with this simple service. This will need to be repeated several times to get the fluid back to red. Varying methods to drain off the ATF fluid that are quite easy for DIY. Make sure it is Toyota Type IV or compatible.

This is the tranny fluid drain procedure:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ion-flush.html
Actually my MPG is great, which perplexes me. I do mostly highway driving at get 30 MPG (I always drive 65 mph). When I drive all streets I get about 20 MPG
Old 12-27-15, 05:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

It is not normal for the 430 to consume oil. May I suggest you clean your engine just to be sure you don't have a lifter sticking or something else carbon related causing some blow-by. Toyota makes an engine flush. You can also replace about quart of your regular oil with Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for about 4K miles. I recently did this and the difference I have noticed is my oil is staying cleaner. I just recently made a 2k mile trip for Christmas and the oil is the same color as it was befor the trip. I have no measurable consumption with 8k OCI's. I personally run Mobile 1 ESP with a the Fram XG3600 synthetic filter. Great combo for extended OCI's.

I would also double check your valve covers and oil pan to make sure you are not losing any oil. Get that fluid changed in your transmission. I am a fan of drain and refills vs flushing but as no one ever reports problems after a flush it seems it works just as well. Although I do think it's a bit more risky.

Also, replace your differential fluid if it has not been done already.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-27-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 08:21 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It is not normal for the 430 to consume oil. May I suggest you clean your engine just to be sure you don't have a lifter sticking or something else carbon related causing some blow-by. Toyota makes an engine flush. You can also replace about quart of your regular oil with Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for about 4K miles. I recently did this and the difference I have noticed is my oil is staying cleaner. I just recently made a 2k mile trip for Christmas and the oil is the same color as it was befor the trip. I have no measurable consumption with 8k OCI's. I personally run Mobile 1 ESP with a the Fram XG3600 synthetic filter. Great combo for extended OCI's.

I would also double check your valve covers and oil pan to make sure you are not losing any oil. Get that fluid changed in your transmission. I am a fan of drain and refills vs flushing but as no one ever reports problems after a flush it seems it works just as well. Although I do think it's a bit more risky.

Also, replace your differential fluid if it has not been done already.
I have actually tried the Marvel Mystery Oil with my last oil change a couple months ago because it came up as a potential solution to the rotten egg smell. However I only used 1/2 quart of it because I was unsure of whether or not it would have any side affects. Didn't seem to make a difference in the oil color since the oil I drained about a week ago was just as dark as when I didn't use the MMO. The rotten egg smell may or may not still be there. I'm not sure because the burning smell is much more powerful. So, still skeptical of whether or not it works but perhaps I would try again in the future with a full quart this time.

You haven't read much reports of problems with tranny flushes? I recall reading a thread a few months back about people claiming that the flushes tend to shock the system and can lodge small metal shards in unwanted places causing tranny problems that weren't there initially. It seems ideal to have the tranny flushed while it's already having service done, but I'm unsure of whether or not it's safe. I wonder what the shop will recommend for that. Have you read many stories of successful flushes Lavrishevo? I know you know your way around the forums much more than I do, I see your posts everywhere

Quick Reply: About to visit the shop - help me pre diagnose?