LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Chasing a suspension creak

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 01:21 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Chasing a suspension creak

It's a rubber creaking sound that is noticeable when weight is shifting side to side. Also seems to be more notable when it's cold. My best theory is sway bar links. Just stopped by STS and I went through the front and rear with the tech. Can't find anything loose. I'm kind of neurotic when it comes to noises and it's starting to drive me nuts.

Front and rear sway bar bushes have already been replaced and everything is tight. My best guess is the links as they are original. Any other parts come to mind? No metal to metal sound just a bushing creaking rubber sound that is more prominent when cold outside.

Edit -

When inspecting the links the boots did not look great but they were also not broken.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-29-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 06:40 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strut mount bushings?
Old 11-29-15, 06:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Another option if possible is to squirt some WD40 on different front suspension bushings and then test drive. Don't soak the entire front end at one time or you won't isolate it. Of course it helps if you or a good friend has a lift. Good luck.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-30-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 08:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That's a good idea boca. I have some silicon spray and I will try it. The tech at STS offered to put a small hole in the boot and pump some grease inside. I declined as I did not want to put a hole in it but maybe this would have been a good idea.

As far as the issue being the air-shock itself, I really doubt it. I have never heard the rubber on top going out. It's a rather hefty piece of rubber on top of the air-shock vs a link or sway bar bushing. It's also not a separate mount like regular shocks.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-29-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 08:28 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

One way I was able to track down a squeak that reared its head when it was cold out was using a heat gun. You could probably also use a hair dryer.

I just heat up the area I suspected for a while with the heat gun, then drove around and listened if it went away. It saved me a lot of money because I was sure it was the strut mounts on my last Lexus and it turned out to be a really inexpensive bushing instead that took about a half hour to replace. It was driving me nuts, it sounded like an old mattress creaking over every bump but only really happened during the winter months.
Old 11-30-15, 01:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Another idea is getting a hold of a set of chassis ears. I remember isolating a bad engine mount on a 2000 Passat that was under warranty. The dealership had the equipment and that was how they found it.
Old 12-03-15, 05:34 AM
jackies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
it turned out to be a really inexpensive bushing
So which specific bushing it was?

I also now have a creak that's only creaks when moving slow from a standstill or slowing down to a stop, and sometimes it's silent for days. Would be good to know which bushing it may be...
Old 12-03-15, 06:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I have not found it yet. Like yours, mine is not there consistently. My best guess is the sway bar or stabilizer bar links. They are not expensive parts but the lack of time to get to it is my problem right now. If you find it please update.
Old 12-03-15, 06:53 AM
gotgte
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem too, so I put the car on the lift and I greased up the swaybar bushings, and the swaybar endlinks, the creaking went away immediately, I had the same problem where the sound wouldn't be consistent enough for me to replicate, but upon inspection the bushings were pretty dry, took me 15 minutes to grease them up. I might look into replacing the swaynar bushings completely in the near future. Hope this helps! I have a 2003 UL,
Old 12-03-15, 07:38 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The sway bar bushing don't come greased from the factory but I am sure the links have grease inside the boots. I will try the links when I have a chance to get to them.
Old 12-03-15, 07:38 AM
jackies
Rookie

What kinda grease did you use? I been thinking something teflon? silicon?
People use WD-40 but I'm not convinced its the best for rubber pieces....
Old 12-03-15, 07:39 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Don't use WD-40. WD-40 is really meant for loosening up old rusted bolts.

If you do grease it, please try one part at a time so it will help figure out what is causing it.
Old 12-03-15, 08:36 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by jackies
So which specific bushing it was?

I also now have a creak that's only creaks when moving slow from a standstill or slowing down to a stop, and sometimes it's silent for days. Would be good to know which bushing it may be...
It was on a Lexus ES300, a rear trailing arm bushing that the aftermarket made a replacement for. The LS though has a different suspension design. A lot of ES owners had trouble figuring it out because you couldn't tell by looking at it than anything was wrong.

The best DIY way to find it if it's something that only comes out in winter is to heat up the area you think might be giving you problems and drive around and see if it goes away.

Spraying something like silicone can also work but it can take a while to work itself in enough to quiet it and might be tougher to isolate unless you give it a few days before you move on to the next part.

On the bushing I was referring to, I doubt any sort of spray would be able to adequately get in there to quiet it unless you removed the bushing first.

Last edited by BradTank; 12-03-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-03-15, 11:53 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can grease those sway bar mounting bushings all you want but the squeak will return, trust me I've been stuck in that cycle before. Those bushings have a fabric-type liner against the surface of the bar, and it's my opinion that this liner prevents the squeaking. As they get old and worn out, the liner degrades and more rubber is against the bar surface, causing the squeaking. They're cheap parts so I think the best remedy is to just replace them. If they didn't come greased from the factory, then they shouldn't need the grease to be quiet.

Mine are several years old and I started greasing them, which would temporarily make the squeak disappear. But it after a short time it would return. The last time I had the car on the lift I removed them and thoroughly cleaned all the grease out of the bushing and off the bar. Instant quiet. Recently I've had a couple little squeaks here and there, but nothing like before.
Old 12-03-15, 12:06 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by ancdmd
You can grease those sway bar mounting bushings all you want but the squeak will return, trust me I've been stuck in that cycle before. Those bushings have a fabric-type liner against the surface of the bar, and it's my opinion that this liner prevents the squeaking. As they get old and worn out, the liner degrades and more rubber is against the bar surface, causing the squeaking. They're cheap parts so I think the best remedy is to just replace them. If they didn't come greased from the factory, then they shouldn't need the grease to be quiet.

Mine are several years old and I started greasing them, which would temporarily make the squeak disappear. But it after a short time it would return. The last time I had the car on the lift I removed them and thoroughly cleaned all the grease out of the bushing and off the bar. Instant quiet. Recently I've had a couple little squeaks here and there, but nothing like before.
One trick you can also do is wrap the sway bar with Teflon tape where the bushing surrounds it.

Quick Reply: Chasing a suspension creak