LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Forum Member, New Lexus Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 06:24 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Forum Member, New Lexus Enthusiast

Hello, I'm a looooooooong time Cadillac enthusiast who just became the proud owner of a 2001 Canadian Lexus LS430. Black exterior, ecru interior and has just under 100k miles. This car is incredible!! I'm happy to be here and looking forward to interaction with other members.

Backstory: I have owned several Cadillac sedans over the last 20 years. 2 months ago, I sold my Deville to a friend in a bind to help him out. As soon as he drove the car away, I knew I made a regrettable decision. But in the last 2 months, I've been looking for another luxury sedan to replace the Deville. A friend showed me his LS430 and I was immediately wow'd by it. So I began searching for one to buy.

I am in Washington State, so all the ones found locally were going for just around $10-$11,000. Just for fun, I looked up some ads in the Vancouver British Columbia area and found a black one advertised for $8995 (CAD$).....well that converts to about $6700 USD$ !! I drove up there the next day to take a look, test drove it, came to an agreed price and I put a down payment on it. One cannot wait around when the deal is this good!

Returned to WA, got all my importing paperwork in order for the border agents, and then went back to Canada a few days later. I just drove it back to WA last night and registered it today. It is all legal and in my name and I could not be more excited.

This car is soooooooo smooth and comfy with so many bells and whistles (but no navigation) that I have decided that going forward, I will no longer be buying Cadillacs and will stick to Lexus. But I have a feeling I will be with this one for many many years to come given the overall condition and low miles on it.

Name:  IMG_20150922_184200.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  387.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20150922_184222.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  393.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20150922_171743.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  214.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20150922_213921_edit.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  216.3 KB

Last edited by Discobee; 09-23-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 06:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Congrats and welcome, LS looks clean!
Old 09-23-15, 07:20 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! Looks sweet! There are a lot of bells and whistle on these puppies, so enjoy the discovery.
Old 09-23-15, 07:34 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice! Might be your camera but do you have any issue with the lighting on your gauge cluster? My friend has a repair/modding service for them.
Old 09-23-15, 07:51 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

Actually the lighting on the instrument cluster was just not set to high, which is why it looks like that. And also my phone camera is not the best.
Old 09-23-15, 08:10 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! For a second, I thought your AC said 200 degrees. It must be really cold in Canada! Do you know how to change the settings to Fahrenheit and miles?
Old 09-23-15, 08:24 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

The car is a Canadian version, and the speedo is in metric.....and no I don't know how to, can you advise please? I thought I read in the forums that I'd have to pay the dealer to make that possible.
Old 09-23-15, 09:00 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want your mind blown consider this - that car is basically a base model.
At least you got the 16 inch rims, that's the diameter you want for the plush ride.

You'll need someone with the Toyota Tech Stream tool. A Toyota dealer should be able to adjust it for you. Don't pay more than $20, and check out the Lexus Personalization Settings. There's also a PDF floating around that explains the settings more in depth.

People usually turn off the steering wheel auto retract and reposition. And people down south juice up the A/C. I've also changed the sensitivity of the automatic lights.

You'll hear us harp - maintenance before mods! But these cars drive so well when they're well-maintained. Find a nice shop that will do the Timing Belt / Power Steering / Differential / and Transmission fluid. It shouldn't set you back more than $1200. Wisdom here says to get the Aisin TKT-021 kit (which as the tensioner) and make sure you only use Toyota Type IV in the transmission. Any good synthetic will do the job in the differential or the power steering pump.

And welcome to promise land! You're going to love this car. I just put new struts and lower control arm bushings on my car and it's unbelievable. I've been getting 27 mpg on my commute (18 miles freeway, 2 miles in suburban traffic each way). It rides like a magic carpet. And I've done 32k miles since I got mine, and the only issue is that a brake light burned out once upon a time.
Old 09-23-15, 10:02 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the tips! Yes, I like'm mostly stock (maybe I'll tint the windows) and am not interested in big rims, or lowering the suspension or body kits. I should mention that the timing belt has been done according to maintenance records, so that's pretty good. I just want to drive it to/from work in complete comfort and luxury!

Last edited by Discobee; 09-24-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-24-15, 07:02 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome Discobee.............I was going to post on the caddy forum you should join this one I have an '88 Fleetwood d'Elegance that I drive on the weekends!
Old 09-24-15, 07:38 AM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

The Fleetwood is a mothership! Maybe I'll save up money to buy another Cadi so I can have two car brands that I enjoy. Don't know if the Mrs will go for that though haha.
Old 09-24-15, 07:56 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

The Mrs tolerates my '88.[
Old 09-25-15, 07:30 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Welcome! I'm a big fan of Cadillac too. My grandfather always drove Cadillacs and my mom too. I started several years ago. I've had many and can't imagine not having at least one Cadillac in the garage. I was in the market for a new car after totaling my previous one and I went to a dealership to look at a DTS. They had a great price and it was in great shape but the Lexus was sitting beside it and it caught my eye. I test drove it and couldn't believe how great it rides. I spend a LOT of time in my car every day due to my job and I liked the idea of something so comfortable. I like to tell people it rides like a Cadillac. I drive my Escalade ESV Platinum on the weekends, sadly I have to say the Lexus rides smoother. I bought this car without much research and if I had to do it over again I'd definitely get an Ultra Luxury, I can't imagine how amazing that thing must ride on air suspension.

Last edited by JHC828; 09-25-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 02:16 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

^^ Yup you know exactly what I'm talking about with the Cadillacs!! But man, the Lexus LS is an incredible ride. You know how with some GM cars after about 10 years, it kind of feels like it's starting to fall apart, but this 14-15 year old LS of mine still feels tight and drives like a new car. Super pleased with it!!
Old 09-26-15, 02:17 PM
Discobee
Driver School Candidate

Should I buy these OEM LS chrome wheels 16" for mine? Super cheap!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5238331690.html

Quick Reply: New Forum Member, New Lexus Enthusiast