LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 10:07 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I don't want to go into the details of how and why the $30 version is really the same. Its testing the policies of Club Lexus. Let's just say it works flawlessly for everything except ecu software updates. If you have an android phone the Bluetooth unit on Amazon also works great as basic code reader. It does not read the abs / traction computer but I believe it was like $15.

Correction, $23

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NL...xiL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-08-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 10:08 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I don't want to go into the details of how and why the $30 version is really the same. Its testing the policies of Club Lexus. Let's just say it works flawlessly for everything except ecu software updates.
Copy that. Stay "TUNED" buddy.
Old 08-08-15, 10:10 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up the following scanner from Canadian Tire up here:

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3150-Diagnostic-Reader-Vehicles/dp/B001QIYAQ0

It will read all of the codes for our cars (generic, ABS, SRS) and can reset them as well. There is another higher model from the same company which can do a bit more. This will work for your Ford or any OBD2 vehicle.

The real techstreams are VERY expensive and not really worth it unless you work in a shop. You can get a reduced version for 1000-1500 dollars from Toyota but for me that still to much.

Most people that have the tech stream system will have the Chinese knockoffs. I am told that most antivirus software will say it has Trojans and viruses, but that these are false positives. The site cannot advocate this software, but if you are going this route it is suggested to get a clean laptop. You may want to be careful what you get as it could potentially mess something up with your car.
Old 08-08-15, 10:29 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Antivirus will false alarm activation software. This is quite common across the board.
Old 08-08-15, 10:43 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Arcturus
I picked up the following scanner from Canadian Tire up here:

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3150-Di.../dp/B001QIYAQ0

It will read all of the codes for our cars (generic, ABS, SRS) and can reset them as well. There is another higher model from the same company which can do a bit more. This will work for your Ford or any OBD2 vehicle.

The real techstreams are VERY expensive and not really worth it unless you work in a shop. You can get a reduced version for 1000-1500 dollars from Toyota but for me that still to much.

Most people that have the tech stream system will have the Chinese knockoffs. I am told that most antivirus software will say it has Trojans and viruses, but that these are false positives. The site cannot advocate this software, but if you are going this route it is suggested to get a clean laptop. You may want to be careful what you get as it could potentially mess something up with your car.
AWESOME! I just bought the 3160! If nothing else, it will be another tool in the garage, and I could always help someone else (family/coworker/hot blonde stuck on side of highway) scan for code on a CEL.

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive
Old 08-08-15, 01:24 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
AWESOME! I just bought the 3160! If nothing else, it will be another tool in the garage, and I could always help someone else (family/coworker/hot blonde stuck on side of highway) scan for code on a CEL.

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive
Good! That unit should do the trick. Let us know what the code(s) is when you can pull it. There are some common trouble spots on these cars, but they are usually not major. Also, many people on the forum have figured out quite creative (and cheap) fixes for them.
Old 08-08-15, 03:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That device looks good. I still prefer Techstream as it gives you access to everything on Toyota vehicles including programming keys and customizing you cbest settings but it will not work with other makes.
Old 08-09-15, 02:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default verdicts in! it's code P0031

Well guys, here's what Autozone scanned. Code P0031. Apparently something to do with the oxygen sensor on the passenger side, before the cat. I guess I should be happy it's JUST an oxygen sensor related fault, and not a catalytic converter replacement! (She has 130k on the ticker) Here's a link to what the code represents... http://www.obd-codes.com/p0031

I haven't run over any branches or obstacles, etc, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a 'broken' wire to a sensor, although I haven't put eyes on it yet. I spent almost 2h replacing a cracked tail light assembly on the gf's Accord. I can only handle 1 car a day. lol

Suggestions how to troubleshoot? I have a multimeter and know how to use it.

Old 08-09-15, 03:06 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

With 130K on the clock, I'd replace the passenger side front O2 sensor. It's a DIY job. You'll need a special socket for sensors which you cab borrow from AutoZone as well. .
Old 08-09-15, 03:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I would replace them both, bank 1 and bank 2. Their cheap enough online. Easy enough to take care of them in pairs especially if their are original.
Old 08-09-15, 03:22 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom57
With 130K on the clock, I'd replace the passenger side front O2 sensor. It's a DIY job. You'll need a special socket for sensors which you cab borrow from AutoZone as well. .
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I would replace them both, bank 1 and bank 2. Their cheap enough online. Easy enough to take care of them in pairs especially if their are original.
Thanks guys. Again incredibly fast response times. I appreciate your input!

I would guess Denso would be the OEM for us? I know you guys aren't rocket propulsion engineers (or maybe you are, lol), but aside from the CEL, is there anything wrong with running like this for a couple 2-3 weeks? I think it's more of an emissions thing? In other words, do you think I'll do any more damage like smoking a cat or anything like that if I continue driving like this for a couple more weeks?
Old 08-09-15, 03:30 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I went shopping for you:
Passenger side -
Amazon.com: Denso 234-4630 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 234-4630 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

Driver's side -
Amazon.com: Denso 234-4138 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 234-4138 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive
Old 08-09-15, 03:33 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default left & right VS driver side & pass side

Rockauto is saying Denso is the OEM. They want $41.49 for the 'left' sensor link here.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=369&jpid=4

and $56.99 for the 'right' sensor link here.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=369&jpid=9

Might sound like a silly question, but is the right sensor identified as you're sitting in the car = (passenger side) or is the right sensor as you're looking at the car from the front = (driver's side)?
Old 08-09-15, 03:34 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom57
AWW! Thanks Tom! Let me know when you're ready for the shipping address.
Old 08-09-15, 05:03 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Rockauto is saying Denso is the OEM. They want $41.49 for the 'left' sensor link here.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=369&jpid=4

and $56.99 for the 'right' sensor link here.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=369&jpid=9

Might sound like a silly question, but is the right sensor identified as you're sitting in the car = (passenger side) or is the right sensor as you're looking at the car from the front = (driver's side)?
It's always as sitting in the car.

Quick Reply: got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)