LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

wood steering wheel is cracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 10:17 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Ordinary car wax has done the trick for me. My car came with the cracks 5 years ago and have not gotten any worse. After the wax is applied and rubbed in very well, I can barely feel them anymore.
Thanks for the obvious tip; I'll try some carnauba tomorrow!
Old 07-30-15, 11:31 AM
kkasaki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is my solution
Old 08-03-15, 06:05 PM
Mgoblue1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 2 ls430s and the steering wheel cracking happened on both of them. Had them repaired at JM Lexus in Margate Florida. Did a great job. Cost about $350. Darker stain than original but I'm happy.
Old 07-17-18, 12:33 PM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The simple, easy in-place fix is to lightly steel wool (00000) the wood, hand rub with tung oil, let dry,redo this process until you cannot feel the cracks, then lightly steel wool and finish with a good wax. I've done this and it works.
I have plans to try fix my steering wheel this way. Do you have any before and after pictures?
Old 07-17-18, 04:08 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorFin
I have plans to try fix my steering wheel this way. Do you have any before and after pictures?
No, I haven't taken any photos. If the crack lines are deep (which even when garaged will occur most of the time) they will be more than a surface scratch. However, since they are a crack they will be felt by your hands, which is annoying. My method will fill the cracks at the surface and it will feel smooth and look nice. I've not had the nerve to try to remove enough of the surface to attempt to get to the bottom of the crack. My cracks are visible from the top of the steering wheel and hardly seen from the drivers position. The tung oil will gradually wear away and you will feel the cracks again. No problem, I just redo the process in less that 30 minutes, let it dry and repeat another time or two. One final polish with the steel wool, rewax the wood and you're good to go for another 6 months or so.
The following users liked this post:
Diplocar (06-06-20)
Old 07-17-18, 11:42 PM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, I have a lot of cracks on the car's steering wheel

Old 07-18-18, 09:36 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kkasaki
this is my solution
Could you elaborate on where you purchased or sent the original wheel off for service?
Old 06-06-20, 01:31 PM
Diplocar
Rookie

Me too. Tung oil and steel wool tomorrow!

2004 CL Black Cherry Pearl
Old 06-06-20, 03:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

I was quoted in post #16 in the year 2015, as applying car wax to the wheel and rubbing it off vigorously to smooth out the edges of the clear felt by my hands. After 10 years of ownership and living in Florida, the cracking has not progressed and it still looks equivalent to the day I purchased the car. FYI I do use a sunshade religiously, whenever parking in the sun.
Old 06-08-20, 02:34 AM
Diplocar
Rookie

Thumbs up

I did the steel wool and tung oil treatment yesterday, and am quite happy with the results. I did three rounds and after the last one put on a coat of exterior car wax. I can barely feel any of the cracks, although they are still visible. As of las night the wheel still felt a little tacky, and I’m hoping it has dried a little this morning. I used small round cotton pads as applicators and they worked well and were easy to control.

2004 CL Black Cherry Pearl

Last edited by Diplocar; 06-27-20 at 06:57 PM. Reason: X
Old 06-08-20, 07:04 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

I replaced mine with a JDM celsior Steering wheel, its leather from the factory instead of the gay wood
Old 10-04-20, 06:13 PM
Diplocar
Rookie

Four months later, the cracks are back. The repair did not last.
Old 10-05-20, 08:30 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I have zero cracks on my 2002's steering wheel - it does not experience much sunlight or extreme heat. I don't clean the wood with anything except for a microfibre cloth very lightly dampened with water. Cleaning agents can damage the coating on the wood, as well as permeate into tiny cracks and make them worse.

If you can, use a windshield-mounted sun blocker, close your sunroof shade when parked in the sun, crack windows slightly when parked in sun to avoid greenhouse effect, and tint your windows as much as you can - this will keep your steering wheel and leather seats looking like new.
Old 10-05-20, 09:56 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 693 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Diplocar
Four months later, the cracks are back. The repair did not last.
Until someone can identify how the steering wheel was finished, likely polyurethane or UV cured polyester, at the factory I wouldn't apply ANYTHING to it except a quality wax.
I know some CL members have reported positive results using Tung Oil but this is a slippery slope. 100% pure Tung Oil, which you won't find at Lowes or Home Depot, is applied in several subsequent coats to Bare Wood. Any product labeled as a "Tung Oil Finish" is likely a blend of varnishes, solvents, and chemical driers with no actual Tung Oil at all. Compatibility issues between the two types of finish are only going to cause more problems. Would you apply a varnish product to the hood or front fender? Don't apply it to the steering wheel either just because there's wood underneath the thick protective finish.

Last edited by bradland; 10-05-20 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 07:07 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Until someone can identify how the steering wheel was finished, likely polyurethane or UV cured polyester, at the factory I wouldn't apply ANYTHING to it except a quality wax.
I know some CL members have reported positive results using Tung Oil but this is a slippery slope. 100% pure Tung Oil, which you won't find at Lowes or Home Depot, is applied in several subsequent coats to Bare Wood. Any product labeled as a "Tung Oil Finish" is likely a blend of varnishes, solvents, and chemical driers with no actual Tung Oil at all. Compatibility issues between the two types of finish are only going to cause more problems. Would you apply a varnish product to the hood or front fender? Don't apply it to the steering wheel either just because there's wood underneath the thick protective finish.
Wax just won't fully fill the feel of the cracks. I've used Tung Oil on my steering wheel for years with no adverse affects. Sure it does start to rub off after 6 months and you can feel a few cracks. But a quick redo with steel wool and reapplication of Tung Oil and it's good to go. I don't mind having to do that to have a nice smooth wheel. Normal maintenance to me and worth the effort. Much better than just doing nothing. Just my experience.

Quick Reply: wood steering wheel is cracking