LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Refreshing components?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 03:25 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Refreshing components?

I'm looking to update some things on the car to make it look a little more modern. So far today I got my armrest recovered, since it was absolutely hideous since buying the car last year. I guess someone had tried to retouch it up and it was coming off so it really cheapened the car. Now I'm looking to refresh the shifter on my UL with ecro interior. I've been looking around and like the Carbon fiber look, so I was looking at the F-Sport shifter they put in the IS.

Granted the car does not have CF but has wood trim, so do you guys think it would look OK? I'm just not a fan of the stock shifter at all. What shifters are you guys running, or recommend? I really like the momo combat shifter but its very hard to find in airmetal.

What else have you guys done to try to modernize the car in functionality and aesthetics?
Old 07-24-15, 12:25 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing the interior bulbs with LEDs was a nice improvement. I am still working on all of the broken things before I get to do more of the fun stuff.
Old 07-24-15, 12:54 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Personally, I wouldn't mix carbon fiber with wood unless the CF is tinted to blend/compliment (not compete or contrast with) the tonality of your wood.

If your interior were black or grey, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But given that you've got the cashmere interior with birdseye maple wood, mixing in CF gets a bit trickier.

I must say, however, I do love the look of that momo shifter. Too bad it won't work with your interior (unless the leather trim comes in one of the two tones used in the cashmere scheme).
Old 07-25-15, 06:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd personal stick with original style shift ****. Plenty of used replacement shift *****, key fobs, mats, first aid kits, etc almost always available on ebay. Sad to say many are most likely stolen from cars going thru the auctions.

If your car still has the ash tray replacing it with the OEM Lexus storage cubby that is an excellent mod to perform that will enhance the interior of the car.
Old 07-25-15, 07:18 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd personal stick with original style shift ****. Plenty of used replacement shift *****, key fobs, mats, first aid kits, etc almost always available on ebay. Sad to say many are most likely stolen from cars going thru the auctions.

If your car still has the ash tray replacing it with the OEM Lexus storage cubby that is an excellent mod to perform that will enhance the interior of the car.
Hi do you know what is the part number for the cubby storage. I am thinking of replacing my ash tray with it.
Old 07-25-15, 03:50 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

Yeah its a shame the shifters wouldn't really go with the interior, I'm just not a fan of the brown shifter. I'll have to find something that matches better. The ash tray cubby is definitely something I want to do, I remember it being horribly overpriced when I looked last year. Do you know a place to get it for a good price? I may do a bluetooth audio unit soon. To me the front of the car still looks pretty modern, I purchased the grill that mobbinvip was selling to de-grandpa a car a bit for my age. To me the back of the car looks dated, so I'd like to get some nice LED tails or do some acrylic tail lights.
Something like this would make it look loads better, however this set was expensive although I almost dropped the cash on them a few months ago before they sold to someone else.

Overall I love the interior on the car there are just a few things I want to update. Of course I'd like to get some killer wheels for the car, however I know if I do, I'll pretty much have to redo the entire air system with aftermarket because adding a air controller to stock suspension will wear it too much. So that would probably cost me 7k just for wheels when I factor in the air system and install so I'll avoid that for now. Overall the stock wheels have grown on me, so a few mods would just get up to my liking. My bumper is also partially damaged in one spot, so I think a aftermarket bumper could improve the look also if I have to have my stock one painted anyone, maybe a bumper that flows a little bit better with the rear. Something maybe similar to a LS460 bumper with the exhaust cutouts would look good.

Last edited by e60bmw; 07-25-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 03:34 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Yeah its a shame the shifters wouldn't really go with the interior, I'm just not a fan of the brown shifter. I'll have to find something that matches better. The ash tray cubby is definitely something I want to do, I remember it being horribly overpriced when I looked last year. Do you know a place to get it for a good price? I may do a bluetooth audio unit soon. To me the front of the car still looks pretty modern, I purchased the grill that mobbinvip was selling to de-grandpa a car a bit for my age. To me the back of the car looks dated, so I'd like to get some nice LED tails or do some acrylic tail lights.
Something like this would make it look loads better, however this set was expensive although I almost dropped the cash on them a few months ago before they sold to someone else.

Overall I love the interior on the car there are just a few things I want to update. Of course I'd like to get some killer wheels for the car, however I know if I do, I'll pretty much have to redo the entire air system with aftermarket because adding a air controller to stock suspension will wear it too much. So that would probably cost me 7k just for wheels when I factor in the air system and install so I'll avoid that for now. Overall the stock wheels have grown on me, so a few mods would just get up to my liking. My bumper is also partially damaged in one spot, so I think a aftermarket bumper could improve the look also if I have to have my stock one painted anyone, maybe a bumper that flows a little bit better with the rear. Something maybe similar to a LS460 bumper with the exhaust cutouts would look good.

You can find those taillights at Central Pine, Sam is the guy who hand builds them. Awesome dude.