Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 04:26 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default wood trim -changing

still looking for the "right" LS
Saw one but it has the ashgrrrrrray trim
How difficult or possible is it to change it to a rosewood type trim?
Are they clip-on types or are they fused to the frame?

Last edited by RA40; 07-21-15 at 04:51 PM. Reason: title adjustment
Old 07-21-15, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I actually really liked that ash grey trim...I would think about it for a little while before you made a swap.

The trim pieces are pretty easy to remove and install.
Old 07-22-15, 09:35 AM
semar
Advanced

Default wood trim

I can see the trim on the door panel being just clipped in but what about the trim around the audiocontrols, the shifterpanel?
Old 07-22-15, 09:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Unless you can source all of them used from a salvage vehicle, it would be unrealistically expensive to purchase all new trim from Lexus. At the factory Lexus uses wood from the same tree so the grain matches. If you were to piece this together yourself it would not match like factory. Just keep looking for what you want.

Edit:

I have to stop using my phone to reply to the forum. Grammar nightmare with auto correct and misspelling.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-22-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 11:24 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
... If you were to piece this together yourself it would not match like factory. Just keep looking for what you want...
Gotta agree with that take. As "perfect" as this one feels, just let it go and wait for "the right one" to come along. You'll be much more satisfied in the long run. If you compromise and get this one, you'll never forgive yourself. ESPECIALLY when you look up just one week after purchase and see your perfect match on AutoTrader.
Old 07-22-15, 01:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Unless you can source all of them used from a salvage vehicle, it would be unrealistically expensive to purchase all new trim from Lexus. At the factory Lexus uses wood from the same tree so the grain matches. If you were to piece this together yourself it would not match like factory. Just keep looking for what you want.

Edit:

I have to stop using my phone to reply to the forum. Grammar nightmare with auto correct and misspelling.
I agree with Lavrishevo 100% Buying a used car has it's limitations. Color choice combinations as well as trim is not realistic or you may be looking for so long, the car may be eligible for collector plates! Exterior color is hard enough, but I can understand your not wanting some of the horrendous colors offered by Lexus. Give yourself 2 or 3 exterior colors you like and do your search making sure you are looking for a well maintained healthy car. You car may glisten, but your want strong mechanics. You can't get it all, but you may get something close. Good luck.
Old 07-22-15, 03:12 PM
semar
Advanced

yes, I can imagine the feeling seeing what you really want a week later.
Presently looking at a 2001 with ultra package. Claims it has no issues. One owner car. I am a bit nervous about the ultra package and its reliability. Dont want to spend big bucks in electrical gremlins and/or suspension issues. How do they stand up? Car has 110k miles

Last edited by semar; 07-22-15 at 03:14 PM. Reason: delete unintended descriptive word
Old 07-22-15, 08:19 PM
semar
Advanced

Default woodtrim

I would never buy this from a Lexus dealer. Salvage is the only way to go. My question was if it is possible to just clip the panel pieces on the subframe or are they fused to it making it nearly impossible to remove and install without damage
This is a forum and members can ask questions. You don't need to criticise other people's taste and/or preferences - VancityL
Old 10-14-15, 10:14 AM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see there hasn't been any activity on this thread for a bit, but I have the same question as Smear did... Last week I sold my 2005 LS 430, and I picked up a 2012 LS 460 L RWD. I love everything else about the car, but was just luke warm about the color of the wood stain used on the trim. After a week or so of staring at it, I realize that I just can't live with the color of the wood in my 460L. I've actually grown to hate it (the wood)... Has anyone actually pulled off a complete "wood transplant" on their LS, and if so, how involved (and expensive) was it? My plan would be to swap for another of the standard / stock wood trim offerings from Lexus, I'm not looking to go custom with the wood or anything like that; simply swapping out Walnut for the Matte Finished Brown Ash Burl.
Old 10-14-15, 11:07 AM
semar
Advanced

plasti- dipping?
Old 10-14-15, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its going to be very expensive if you buy the parts from Lexus. Somewhere between $5-$10k is my guess. You'd have to find a salvaged LS being sold for parts to do it cheaper.

What color is your wood in your LS?
Old 10-14-15, 12:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have to think much of the wood is fused on there with adhesives (like on the passenger side dash) and my experience with working with the wood trim is that it's a thin veneer and easy to break, even on pieces that are made to come off. So removing it off a salvage car without breaking presents a lot of problems And then you have issues like the steering wheel that would also need to match.

I would definitely take it to an upholstery shop and get their take on it and a quote. Probably the most economical solution if you're really determined would be to have some kit or custom veneer layed on top of the existing wood. I would even look at maybe just covering it in stitched leather?

Personally, I think it's in the same category as if you don't like the color of your car. You're much better off just selling the car you have and buying a different one than you are repainting a factory car. Some cars use just a bit of wood and it would be an easy swap, but with the LS it's very much integrated into the interior.

Finding a salvage car and doing the swap, I've got to think you're talking about a pretty expensive upgrade for something you'll never see a dime of return on when you go to sell it.
Old 10-14-15, 02:39 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Skip it man, good things come to those who wait. And especially, if you are not in a bad spot, like really needing a car to commute. I say give it time, and meanwhile just keep your eyes wide open.

You can give CPO dealers your number and let them notify you if they ever get a car within your specifications range.
Craigslist is always an option too.

Just keep your eyes wide open, and don't lose hope, because it is something you will regret over the years if you take something you are not %100 satisfied with. It will always just bug you.

Wait for the right car to come by like all the kind folks have said ^. Good luck.
Old 10-14-15, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default wood trim -changing

He's already bought the car...
Old 10-14-15, 03:08 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Parchment semi-aniline leather (which I really like) in my 460L and the alcantara headliner.

But the color of wood stain that Lexus picked for the Walnut trim in there is just too purpley / reddish for me. It clashes with the dark brown dash pad, the brown floor mats, brown leather on the steering wheel, etc. in the car.

I much prefer the (true brown color) of the Ash Burl trim. And the matte finish of that Ash trim somehow looks richer (to my eye, anyway) than the glossy, lacquered Walnut trim.

I didn't really notice the mismatch between the Walnut trim and (the dark brown pieces of ) the Parchment interior until AFTER I bought the car, and I was driving it on the first sunny afternoon that we had, since I took delivery of it. In lower to average light, the Walnut trim looks like it could be a fairly deep brown color with maybe just a slight maroon undertone, but in bright sunlight, the wood becomes full-on purple! It really bugs me now.

The $5-10k figure puts a "wood transplant" (using parts ordered through the dealer) well out of reach for me. And I had the same questions / concerns as BradTank did about pieces of wood trim (that might be glued into place) breaking when you try to remove them - even if I could find a salvage car with the Ash trim. It sounds like a "wood transplant" just isn't the kind of thing that is often attempted on an LS, and for good reason. I love my new car otherwise, but that purple wood next to a dark brown dash pad... a serious no-no!

Quick Reply: wood trim -changing