LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension Problems......warranty weird

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 04:42 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Air Suspension Problems......warranty weird

I have a 2002 LS430 UL, and the car started to sit off square during the warranty period. Seven visits to dealer.....replaced a lot of parts - except for air struts. Went in for the 85k service, and they told me the passenger side struts have hair pin leaks.

I am trying to decide whether to replace the two struts, or just convert the car to a regular suspension. I am concerned about the compressor...for the first time ever I have actually heard the compressor running, and it is noisy when it does. It does so at some red lights, etc. I am worried that the compressor may burn out before I can get it fixed.

p.s. My service writer really put it to me. He told me to call Lexus for help with the repair, since I have had the issue for so long. I was turned down twice, because "your car is too old." I finally came across the name of the President of Lexus USA in a magazine...called him, and his assistant helped me. She investigated, agreed that warranty should repair an issue. She then called me to say that in my prior cases nobody had called the dealer. She was ready to approve ......called my service writer. She called me with "bad news. I talked to the service writer, and he says your problem was not necessarily from these leaks." I couldn't believe it. I had asked them numerous times during the warranty period, when they couldn't fix the problem, to please replace the struts. All he had to say to her was they that the only thing not replaced were the struts, so it is probably the cause. He told me he was "just being honest with her, and could not tell her for certain that the leaks were there then and were the cause." I asked him why he told me to call Lexus in the first place?...no answer.

Please some ideas? How reliable is the compressor? What does it cost to replace? Do you think it has burned up? Should I repair or replace with shocks/coils/springs?
Old 02-05-15, 04:45 AM
tiger02
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started hearing my compressor as well for the first time around 140,000 miles. Came on more and more, and saw my two front struts were leaking fluid. After pricing air struts and lurking on this forum I ordered all stock parts for steel coil springs. Total cost around $1500 doing the work myself. Would do it again as the struts were old at 140,000 and the ride was no where near comfortable as it was when I bought it. Ride feels more planted and smoother than before the swap. I never really used the ride height button, so I don't think I lost anything by doing it.

Struts are considered a wear item, so unless you can prove a material defect that occurred before the warranty lapsed you won't likely prevail. Wish you luck with that and your decision.
Old 02-05-15, 05:41 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thank You

Tiger, I am mechanically challenged. I have found two Lexus techs that work on the side, have a great reputation, and I will be using them. Please tell me what you bought, so I can order the parts. Did you buy them from Sewell or dealer? You make a good point...there are so many things to go wrong with air suspension. I did notice some brown fluid leaks on the garage floor (brown), and I wasn't sure if that was compressor fluid or from the air strut. I would appreciate your info.

Originally Posted by tiger02
I started hearing my compressor as well for the first time around 140,000 miles. Came on more and more, and saw my two front struts were leaking fluid. After pricing air struts and lurking on this forum I ordered all stock parts for steel coil springs. Total cost around $1500 doing the work myself. Would do it again as the struts were old at 140,000 and the ride was no where near comfortable as it was when I bought it. Ride feels more planted and smoother than before the swap. I never really used the ride height button, so I don't think I lost anything by doing it.

Struts are considered a wear item, so unless you can prove a material defect that occurred before the warranty lapsed you won't likely prevail. Wish you luck with that and your decision.
Old 02-05-15, 08:30 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd convert over to the conventional steel suspension, especially if you're thinking the compressor is maybe on the way out also. If the struts had a leak the compressor would probably be running over time to constantly fill it, so it makes sense that it could be on its way out.

The car being 13 years old and struts being considered a wear item, I would be shocked if Lexus did a goodwill repair on it. 2 new UL struts though a Lexus dealer will probably be around $3000 in parts alone, all 4 around $6,000. Then you have an air compressor that could need replacing which is over $2,000 just for the part.
Old 02-05-15, 12:32 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I am also the owner of an '02UL with 130k. I have been getting compressor noise for some time. My theory is that you are better off switching to steel at the first sign of air suspension trouble. Any of the parts are over $1000 new and their is no guarantee that the other parts of the system won't fail shortly thereafter. Sewell sells all of the parts as a kit for $1350 including shipping. This is for the sport suspension but I presume the regular is similar. The question is how much and where can you get the labor done. I am looking into that now. I am curious as to what others have paid.

Some also sell their old parts on ebay and the mechanically inclined buy the three used good struts for $350 to $500. They then just replace them as needed. I don't have that mechanical an inclination or a set-up.

Also, I knew this would happen when I bought the car and figure I am going to drive it for another 4 years or so. I might as well replace and enjoy the smooth ride for the rest of my affair with this great car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-15, 06:25 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a friend who ran the service department at a Lexus dealership in San Diego. We were talking about me getting an S Class. He said just factor in $3500 annually in repairs and you won't be shocked. Even on our UL's it's much less than that. I just figure I'm driving a high luxury car and it can be high maintenance, but for the most part it's trouble free. I allow a few thousand a year in repairs to be normal for a car with every option that's 10+ years old.
Old 02-06-15, 04:13 AM
tiger02
Driver School Candidate

Mafpolo,

I ordered through oemlexusparts.com. I probably could have saved going through Sewell, but that is hindsight now. I'm traveling right now, but I'll dig out my invoice once I get home this weekend. I basically ordered everything from the top nut down to the strut based off the parts diagrams. I chose all the non-sport options as I wanted the original ride.

Note that even though driver and passenger sides have different part numbers, they are exactly the same.
Old 02-06-15, 01:06 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

having just replaced my regular shocks for about $400 each, are air shocks worth the extra cost? if I had an ultra I would probably have the damn shocks fixed. life is much simpler without Mark Levinson, air shocks. and regular shocks would be ready to replace at this point anyway.
Old 02-06-15, 02:52 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK, there is no one that fixes air shocks for the LS430. If you have a reference, please let us know.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-15, 07:00 AM
tiger02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Tiger, I am mechanically challenged. I have found two Lexus techs that work on the side, have a great reputation, and I will be using them. Please tell me what you bought, so I can order the parts. Did you buy them from Sewell or dealer? You make a good point...there are so many things to go wrong with air suspension. I did notice some brown fluid leaks on the garage floor (brown), and I wasn't sure if that was compressor fluid or from the air strut. I would appreciate your info.
Don't know about the compressor fluid, but my strut leaks were not drips, just a coating on the air strut below the rubber boot. There is an excellent discussion started by BNR34 on this topic that helped me greatly in my conversion. It is in the FAQ section at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-infos.html

The two pics below from Sewell show what I ordered in the non-sport option. Used standard for everything. This is my wifes car and she likes the softer ride.