LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bluetooth Streaming music to factory speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 05:57 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth Streaming music to factory speaker system

So I have had a Vais sl2vi installed in my car for a while now. Sure my ipod stays plugged in and audio quality is excellent. However due to being an older model, it does not have the ability to stream music via bluetooth and other apps such as pandora. I was reading and came up upon this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-speakers.html I dont know if I have a 12V or 5V cable but I know it charges my ipod touch while also playing music, I assume I have a 5V cable. I plan on buying this bluetooth adaptor
Amazon.com: LAYENŽ i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver Adapter. With aptX for Superior Sound Quality! Stream Music Wirelessly from your Phone / Tablet / iPod / PC etc to Docking Station, Speakers, Stereo, Bose, Pure, Klipsch, B&W, JBL etc!: Electronics Amazon.com: LAYENŽ i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver Adapter. With aptX for Superior Sound Quality! Stream Music Wirelessly from your Phone / Tablet / iPod / PC etc to Docking Station, Speakers, Stereo, Bose, Pure, Klipsch, B&W, JBL etc!: Electronics
Yes It is a little pricier but I want to get good audio since I know bluetooth streaming lowers the audio quality. This has bluetooth 4.0 and aptx which is better than a2dp. There is also a review where a buyer used it in his 2007 gs350 claims it works with his ipod integration. Should I go for it or has anyone already tried this? I don't want to put out money for a Vais sl3b if I don't really need to.
Old 12-04-14, 10:35 PM
bhbiv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like the Vais? I was thinking about getting it to use to play my music via iPhone 5. Ive seen a Bluetooth hookup in a g37 through the ipod hookup and seemed like it worked excellent to me
Old 12-05-14, 05:46 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bhbiv
How do you like the Vais? I was thinking about getting it to use to play my music via iPhone 5. Ive seen a Bluetooth hookup in a g37 through the ipod hookup and seemed like it worked excellent to me
I really like it. No splicing wires, plug and play. And allows you to use steering wheel controls. The music quality is like CDs. I just want to upgrade it to add more functionality since mine is an older model.
Old 12-06-14, 07:49 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It might be more reliable to use the VAIS SL3B Bluetooth interface rather than to introduce the Layen Bluetooth adapter into the mix.

Regarding audio quality, I have the same music on CD's and on my phone (and USB memory) and I can't tell any difference between playing music from a CD and streaming the same music via Bluetooth from my phone which I copied to my phone from the original CD's. I've tried numerous times to tell a difference. And I cannot tell a difference in audio quality between when my phone is connected to the 3.5mm aux-in port and when it is streaming wirelessly by Bluetooth. Sound quality of the original Bluetooth spec could be pretty bad but that has changed.

These days, most of the music I listen to is streamed from the Internet from my phone through Bluetooth - mainly Pandora to which I subscribe and much less from Slacker, iHeart, etc. Sound quality of Pandora is very good and vastly better than XM radio which completely sucks.
Old 12-08-14, 09:24 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
It might be more reliable to use the VAIS SL3B Bluetooth interface rather than to introduce the Layen Bluetooth adapter into the mix.

Regarding audio quality, I have the same music on CD's and on my phone (and USB memory) and I can't tell any difference between playing music from a CD and streaming the same music via Bluetooth from my phone which I copied to my phone from the original CD's. I've tried numerous times to tell a difference. And I cannot tell a difference in audio quality between when my phone is connected to the 3.5mm aux-in port and when it is streaming wirelessly by Bluetooth. Sound quality of the original Bluetooth spec could be pretty bad but that has changed.

These days, most of the music I listen to is streamed from the Internet from my phone through Bluetooth - mainly Pandora to which I subscribe and much less from Slacker, iHeart, etc. Sound quality of Pandora is very good and vastly better than XM radio which completely sucks.
Thank you for the suggestion. But I am trying to find the cheapest route. Id take a loss selling current vais unit and buying a sl3b would be a good bit of money.
Old 12-08-14, 09:27 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

I received the layen adaptor today. I plugged it in and linked my phone to the unit without a problem. Music quality is crystal clear and same as plugging into ipod. I dont notice a decrease in audio quality at all. Only thing is that steering wheel controls no longer work. I have to switch tracks from phone now. For $45 I would say it is worth it and updating the tech to keep up with current cars now.
Old 12-09-14, 07:34 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Sound quality of Pandora is very good and vastly better than XM radio which completely sucks.
Kansas, I have the VaisTech MML and I'm thinking of adding satellite radio capability as well. I've never had satellite radio, but I wasn't expecting inferior sound quality (until I read your comment). What issues have you experienced with satellite radio sound quality? Thanks.
Old 12-09-14, 12:23 PM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down the Vaistech SL3B