LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installed new spiral cable, now VSC light and traction control not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 02:49 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RESOLVED: Installed new spiral cable, now VSC light and traction control not working

PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED. Post # 5

So I went ahead and replaced my spiral cable/clock assembly today. For future reference to those that do not know, if your radio controls and horn are both not working then chances are you need a new spiral cable. Also my volume was randomly changing up and down once in awhile on it's own.

Anyway the new spiral cable came in today. (part: 8430650180). $179. I purchased it from overseas brand new vs paying $330 at lexus. Now the problem is that this new spiral cable was *slightly* different than the previous one. I have included a picture to show. The new spiral cable assembly is on the right and it does not have the gray piece that something clips into. The old one did. I put everything together with the new spiral cable but couldn't connect the third clip so I left it alone.

Now the good news is my horn and steering wheel buttons are working. My voice command also works!

The bad news is my traction control light is off and the VSC. Before this incident I didn't have problems with it.

So my two theories are:

A: The gray tab on the old clock assembly is where the VSC/Traction control wiring clicked into.

or

B: Somehow disconnecting the battery to do the procedure tripped the VSC light on.

Any LS430 experts out there than can point me in the right direction? One of my other thoughts is that if this has anything to do with that gray clip, then this part was actually meant for a toyota celsior. Perhaps the celsior doesn't have ASC and traction control as a standard feature?

I hope to get to the bottom of this! Any input is appreciated friends
Attached Thumbnails Installed new spiral cable, now VSC light and traction control not working-10419398_1475530852716846_1542494113149315446_n.jpg  

Last edited by SaleenS7; 12-03-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 03:24 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

quick follow up. It appears as if my steering wheel wasn't installed straight! Odd because I used a marker to insure I didn't goof that part up. So I believe the light will go off after I take it apart and straighten it. Fingers crossed...

I also think I realized what that gray clip is for. It is for adjusting the tilt manually and for the turn signals (still auto tilts when you turn the ignition)

Will report back tomorrow morning since I have a meeting to attend tonight.
Old 09-22-14, 05:51 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

I'd disassemble it again and attempt to remove the gray part from the old clock spring and install it on the new one.

That's the only idea I have really.
Old 09-22-14, 08:24 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Thanks for the response. I looked into that and it appears that the gray part is not removable. =/

I'll take it all apart tomorrow and see if I can do anything. Worst case I'll have to cough up the extra cash and buy the part from lexus. So much for trying to save money lol.
Old 09-24-14, 12:08 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Update: I realized that I had to take the inner piece off of the old spiral cable and install it to the new one. Here is a pic of the old inner piece taken off and ready to be installed on the new clock assembly below. Now after it is installed the traction control light/VSC finally went off.

HOWEVER I'm still stuck with the same turn signal problem along with not being able to manually turn the lights on and off Seems like the entire stalk is inoperable. I also realized my wiper stalk does not work either. Now i have to dig back into it for a fourth time to see what's wrong. Maybe I need to somehow reconnect the stalk internally? I don't remember disconnecting them.... I hope it's a simple problem...

Resolved: Okay all problems solved now. I went back into everything and realized I didn't clip another clip. Dunce moment there...

So the main thing to remember when doing the spiral cable on the LS430 is to take apart the sensor (right part in the pic below) and install it to the new spiral cable. I hope this helps others in the future!
Attached Thumbnails Installed new spiral cable, now VSC light and traction control not working-10406626_1476314572638474_5100937493063558622_n.jpg  

Last edited by SaleenS7; 09-24-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 01:13 PM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saleen I have a 2004 LS430 where I have the same issue of intermittent performance of both radio and horn. Not having a horn when you need it is scary. Going to non dealer lexus mechanic tomorrow for oil change and will have him look at it. Anyone know what the labor hours (or cost) would be on changing the spiral cable / clock assembly? Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=SaleenS7;8722667]So I went ahead and replaced my spiral cable/clock assembly today. For future reference to those that do not know, if your radio controls and horn are both not working then chances are you need a new spiral cable. Also my volume was randomly changing up and down once in awhile on it's own.
Old 12-03-14, 12:54 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

TXLS430, I am not sure how much it will cost at the dealer but I am sure it would be at a rip off price as with anything else. I'm not anything near being a mechanic but I try to work on the car myself as much as possible.. unless it's something way out of my control.

However, I'd rate the task of doing this as simple for the most part. If you decide not to have the mechanic install it then let me know and I'll guide you through the process step by step.
Old 12-04-14, 08:29 PM
TXLS430
Driver

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer at some point. Lexus mechanic that is not a dealer wanted $700+, dealer wanted 600+.

Originally Posted by SaleenS7
TXLS430, I am not sure how much it will cost at the dealer but I am sure it would be at a rip off price as with anything else. I'm not anything near being a mechanic but I try to work on the car myself as much as possible.. unless it's something way out of my control.

However, I'd rate the task of doing this as simple for the most part. If you decide not to have the mechanic install it then let me know and I'll guide you through the process step by step.
Old 12-05-14, 07:48 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

That's absurd. Sounds like you need a new lexus mechanic lol. This is an easy job for the most part. At first it may take a couple hours or so because it's your first time, but it would literally take me about 20mins to do the whole thing, start to finish.

The website I bought the part from is down below. It's a factory toyota part with the correct part number. It's a shady looking website, and slow to load.. very slow in fact. It's also shipped from overseas (UAE I believe) Shipping took less than two weeks. If you can deal with all that you'll save A LOT of money.

https://partsouq.com/en/shop/product/view?id=3268548

If you don't mind me asking, how much does your mechanic charge for oil changes? Also, does he use a factory oil filter? I say this because you can buy mobile one synthetic oil cheap from wal mart, then go and buy a factory oil filter from toyota or lexus and have a place do it for about $10 labor. Factory oil filters aren't even that expensive and they're superior to most aftermarket ones. If you have a jack to do the oil change at home it's actually very easy to do yourself.
Old 12-06-14, 07:41 AM
TXLS430
Driver

Default Lexus Mechanic

This was the first time I went to this lexus mechanic. My car has always been serviced at the dealer (except for tires and battery). I paid about $65 for a 5,000 mile type service. I had a $25 coupon for new customers that brought me to $65. They don't even rotate tires as part of the basic service. I asked them what the charge would be to change water pump and timing belt if provided my own parts - they told me no go. They will not let you bring your own parts. I think I'm going back to the dealer from now on. At the dealer, I may pay a little bit more, but I get consistent service and I find you can potentially negotiate with the dealer. That being said, the dealer (Park Place Lexus in Plano TX) is also reluctant to let me bring in parts. They were supposed to call me back two days ago to give a firm answer - still waiting.

For better or worse, I am not a hands on type of guy so the car has to go somewhere for service. I think I'm sticking with the dealership, but I know I have to be firm and skeptical about some of the things they tell me...like my leaking water pump, which does not seem to be leaking.
Old 12-07-14, 08:52 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Good point. If you prefer not to touch the car yourself then the dealer would be the safest bet. At least that way you're guaranteed good service and you know the car is in good hands. I also asked the dealer if they would install parts if I bought them but the refused to install even factory parts unless you purchase from them.

As you mentioned the trick is to negotiate. I would make friends with those who work at parts and a couple service guys. That can save you a lot over time.

I hope your water pump isn't leaking but it could be any number of seals that would cause that to happen. If it's time to do the timing belt then I'm sure they'll find the actual leak when they tear everything apart. Anyway, good luck with the LS! ( Welcome to the forum by the way )
Old 06-04-15, 10:28 AM
jmscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saleen,

Mind posting a little more description on installing the old piece of the clock spring into the new one? I've got to complete this job shortly as my horn is non-functional.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-17, 09:15 AM
hippchip
Driver

Could you guide me through the process of changing the clock spring? Evidently when I changed my rack and Pinion I broke the old cable. I ordered a clock spring yesterday and not sure if I will have to move parts from my old one to the new one or not. Also, my steering wheel is off a little. What is the process to straighten it? I could disconnect the rack again but would rather not if there is an easier way.

Originally Posted by SaleenS7

Old 12-01-23, 02:20 AM
JahnBoy
3rd Gear

Default VSC Light Fix

Know I'm a few years too late on this but, if someone else stumbles in this may help. The VSC light can turn on as a result of a computer reset (at least the case on the early SC430s, I'm sure that's true of the LS too). There's a way to reset the VSC without needing a fancy OBD setup, there's a guy on youtube that does it with just a paperclip into the right pins. I don't have the link saved unfortunately. If you're still getting problems then likely when you're steering wheel turns beyond a certain point is when the light may come on? If so there's a spiral issue, probably on install.
The following users liked this post:
MaxKechely (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 09:30 AM
MaxKechely
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JahnBoy
Know I'm a few years too late on this but, if someone else stumbles in this may help. The VSC light can turn on as a result of a computer reset (at least the case on the early SC430s, I'm sure that's true of the LS too). There's a way to reset the VSC without needing a fancy OBD setup, there's a guy on youtube that does it with just a paperclip into the right pins. I don't have the link saved unfortunately. If you're still getting problems then likely when you're steering wheel turns beyond a certain point is when the light may come on? If so there's a spiral issue, probably on install.
heres that video for anyone who needs it