LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 06:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Getting a PA annual state inspection....nothing I can do about it. My buddy says that is bogus (he's in FLA).

Note to self: $29.95 advertised price = 3 people ahead as soon as doors open! (barometer: Toyota got $76 in 10/16, BMW got $40 with loaner in Dec., GMC got $56 in July--BMW is the best)

edit This place is like the Japanese indie...everyone is friendly, joking, it's like one big party in the lounge lol sure beats dealers!

p.s. I also learned why many Citgos are Conocos now around here. Person told me Conoco offered stations 3 cents under terminal price, so when stations come out of contract, they are free to switch brands. Conoco will provide new pumps or rebrand the existing. Person said say you sell 120k gal per mo., potential $3600 extra profit. Interesting...

p.p.s. It was $42 out the door, so BMW with a loaner did the cheapest PA state inspection I've had in about 15 years @ $40, and that's with a loaner! Sales tax is applied to the non-discounted price (that's the state not the shop), there are shop charges (legal an addl' 6%, and the sticker fees of $7 that is printed on the offer). With this shop, there was a Range Rover and E Class so people seem to be fine bringing nice cars. the inspection is bogus in a sense it's intended to help shops make money with the commonwealth taking a cut, but at least this shop wants to get you in/out, not poking around for things...

p.p.p.s now I am dup'ing a 19 cd limited ed box set I just got for discs to be used in the car. Car is gonna be a Grateful Dead show on wheels going to work on Monday

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-15-18 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-15-18, 06:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Sold my 2001. Now I'm down to just one..
Old 09-15-18, 06:55 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Sold my 2001. Now I'm down to just one..
Why did you sell?

How much did you get?

What are you going to replace her with???
Old 09-15-18, 08:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 03TXLS
Swapped out the blown sub for a Polk Audio DB842DVC and covered the holes in the rear deck with some sound deadening. Glad to have bass 👍

this is sick....
Old 09-15-18, 08:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Why did you sell?

How much did you get?

What are you going to replace her with???
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. Been busy with projects around the house and work as well.

I am buying a 2015 Chevy Volt with 19K on the clock. It's being shipped from California back to Wisconsin, so it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get it.

I sold the LS to a family who needs a decent car to get around in. 2500.00 dollars. Yes, I could have gotten more if I wanted to advertise it. But' I'd be answering the mindless emails and texts asking "Is it still available?"

I just didn't want to deal with it.

My other concern was the amount of money I was spending on gas every month. The last few months have been consistently 380-400 dollars EVERY MONTH.

The payment on the Volt will be about 275.00/month and the gas should be less than half of what I'm using now, so for a small amount more each month, I'm getting a basically new car with all the latest features/gadgets and some rather interesting technology.

I looked at the CT200H and the venerable HS250H. Both were just too small for me. The Volt is classified as a Mid Size car, and it's a little over a foot shorter than the LS and roughly an inch narrower. Not too much different

This Volt has much of the warranty still with it, which was another huge selling point of the car. The CT's didn't have any warranty left, unless they were a CPO car, which took the prices waaay up.

So, I still have my 2005 LS, which isn't going anywhere for many, many years, but with 206,000 miles as of yesterday, the '01 is on it's way to a new owner.

It's funny, I spent Tuesday cleaning the heck out of it, buffing out scratches, polishing headlights, cleaning seats, vacuuming the trunk, etc, hoping that the dealership would be thrilled to have such a stately Luxury car, but in the end they offered me 1500.00 bucks for the car and said it would just go straight to the Wholesaler auction.

So I'm happy with where it's headed.

I'll post a few pictures when the Chevy (I'm still getting used to the fact that I bought another GM product) shows up at the house...
Old 09-15-18, 03:56 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Finally got around to sound deadening all of the doors and adding Focal 6.5’s up front. My Infinity Kappa woofers were moved to the rear doors and powered through external crossovers. Only thing left to deaden (if I even do it) is underneath the interior carpeting.

Old 09-16-18, 06:25 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Lookin good! I just added a Carplay unit to my 430 too, but wasn't sure where to put the backup camera. Did you drill a hole or did you just use a license plate bracket camera?
I had a stereo shop do it. They used a bracket on top of the license plate.
Old 09-19-18, 01:39 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
I cleaned the windshield, had our first rainstorm in months and could barely see at night. The windshield appeared to be stained on the outside. I could only tell when it got dark.

I used a magic eraser and glass cleaner then use a orbital buffer and compound then use glass sealant. The windshield is very clear and I also applied glass sealant to the other windows. Water beads off quickly now. I also replaced the wipers.
looks amazing.....what type of compound and sealant did you use? i think i need to do this to mine.
Old 09-20-18, 07:32 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

finally fixed everything and got the check engine light out. now i just have to figure what's going on with the airbag light.

i don't think the left side of my dash has been so dark (not lit up like a christmas tree) in so long.

Old 09-22-18, 02:22 PM
caseygw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up this 04 UL last week from a friend. 295k, 15 years worth of maintenance records. Have always wanted an LS430 after driving/riding in my moms 15 years ago.

First thing I did was polish the headlights and fogs. For some reason that is the first thing I notice on cars and a clean set of headlights makes all the difference in the world.

What did you do to your LS430 today?-sielbqf.jpg

What did you do to your LS430 today?-kcaktkb.jpg

What did you do to your LS430 today?-hpgldhu.jpg

Done a little reading on here for stuff I wanted to upgrade/change. I knew that I wanted iphone integration and decided getting a Grom audio module would be my best bet. So far Im loving it, super easy install and operation. Also needed to replace the Mark Levinson sub as it was blown. I picked out a Dayton Audion dual 8 ohm sub for that duty. Wired in series at 16ohm. Its definitely not a DB killer but it blends very well. I modified the oem bracket a little and was able to use the top ring to secure the sub. I also put some fresh foam on the top and bottom, along with sealing the holes in the shelf around the sub.

Hella 9006 3000k yellow bulbs for the fog lights. Mainly for appearance since the stock HID setup is excellent, but will come in handy in snow/rain

What did you do to your LS430 today?-gflwctt.jpg

What did you do to your LS430 today?-p2bh8h8.jpg

What did you do to your LS430 today?-zmf8crm.jpg

Last edited by caseygw; 09-22-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 10:08 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i deleted my third cat today i also have a drift dialects mufflers setup , before the cat delete the sound was decently loud with a deep roar now after the delete the sound was just more clear and a little deep sound to it. so the tech suggested to get 2 12 in resonators for a deeper sound, so i ordered 2 12 in vibrant 1792 bottled resonators
Old 09-25-18, 07:44 AM
03TXLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit 130K miles today, got a good shot of it on one of our security cameras 👍

Old 09-29-18, 02:55 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the old girl to a glamour shoot. See the photo thread. Also swung by the Lexus dealer and picked up a couple of carpet mat hooks. The nice parts guy didn’t even charge me.
Old 10-06-18, 07:36 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

My UL hit the lucky 7s today thought it was kinda cool(p.s. gotta hit that instrument cluster with some glass cleaner eh?)
Old 11-10-18, 12:52 PM
TheTiRider
Driver School Candidate

I just finished a door speaker install on my ‘03 Base. All but one were completely blown and rattly. I put in four JBL CS763’s. I used Scorpion brand speaker adapters from eBay that really aided the install. They aren’t listed as working in a 430 but with a few modifications - tabs cut off and a new hole drilled they work perfectly. The JBL’s are 4 ohms versus the stock speakers 2 ohms but I read online that this was fine even with the stock amp. My sound system went from truly pathetic to respectable.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?