LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 07:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
That is a good idea. I am going to add this into my to do list. The Lexus branded battery looks pretty good, but who know what it look like in the battery tray. If I disconnect the battery, will this remove the seat memory? I hope not... I just got these programmed lol.
Costco FTW....great price and warranty, made by Interstate, correct 24F size, good specs, and the demands on the LS430 are not great (I once looked up the output capacity of every alternator in the 4 cars at my house--the BMW 3 has a really high output, and the GM SUV was 2nd, LS was 3rd, Maxima was 4th).
Old 06-23-18, 03:01 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
awesome bro now you can make it out to some more meets !
Where are the meetings? I live in Sacramento
Old 06-23-18, 07:34 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my trunk struts. Now it doesn’t fall down and hit me in the back of the head.

Last edited by jherr; 06-24-18 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-18, 08:31 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jherr
I replaced my trunk struts. Now it doesn’t fall down and hot me in the back of the head.
I replaced the trunk struts as well. What brand did you buy? I bought Lift Supports brand. I have their struts in my Land Cruiser and been very happy with their products.

It is an improvement from the old struts. It goes up easier and smoother now, but was hoping it will be feel lighter/use less effort, or even pop open by itself after being lifted a few inches to help my wife. But from reading the forum, the lid is just heavy.

Last edited by BCT; 06-23-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 09:04 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the Strong Arm ones from lift supports depot on Amazon. New, they are somewhat more balanced towards lift, meaning it’s a bit easier to open than close. I would recommend them from what I’ve seen so far. They also come with decent instructions, not that they are that complicated to install. I noticed the ball ends were a bit dry, so I added a touch of silicon pool grease. Hopefully that will prevent squeaking from developing.

I had researched several brands online, these seemed the most promising.
Old 06-24-18, 03:01 PM
BCT
Advanced

Tried to drain and flush rear differential. Nothing is easy with car. I am still struggling with lug nuts that are over-tighten, and now these two bolts. I did not want to make the matter worse, so I soaked them with PB Blaster, and going to keep spraying for a few days before trying again. Hopefully this helps. I am going to circle back to these stuck lug nuts this week.

I sucked out the power steering fluid again, and add Mobil 1 tranny fluid. Still dark but now starting to have some red color in the fluid. Maybe it is just me, but I thought the PS pump sounded a little less noisy now. I am going to leave it for a bit, then will replace all of them with fresh fluid. I was going to do flush all of them, but thought maybe adding Mobil 1 little by little maybe better instead of shocking the system with fresh fluid.
Old 06-25-18, 06:44 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Where are the meetings? I live in Sacramento
We have most of our meets here in the bay are pennisula/south bay/east bay but I think there are some meets in Sac just check the Northern California page that is here!
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (06-25-18)
Old 06-25-18, 06:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Today I'm going to drive her over to the Lexus dealer...I have 2 more days to test drive a RX-L for a gift card. I did a tranny drain/flush #2 on my wife's car and now it's very pinkish on a paper towel, keep wishing I could realistically do the LS430 (I rather have the indie do it)...
Old 06-25-18, 07:38 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
keep wishing I could realistically do the LS430.
There's nothing to it, but to do it..... Easy Peasy. You changed an ABS module on a Nissan, and this would be easier than that.

Just follow the tutorial and change the fluid, then take your family out for a nice dinner with the money you saved by Doing It Yourself...
Old 06-25-18, 08:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
There's nothing to it, but to do it..... Easy Peasy. You changed an ABS module on a Nissan, and this would be easier than that.

Just follow the tutorial and change the fluid, then take your family out for a nice dinner with the money you saved by Doing It Yourself...
haha I took my Nissan to the indie (who unfortunately is really Audi/Porsche not a Japanese indie as that one is almost 90 miles away for the LS430), and wanted a brake hose changed because the caliper was binding up, and I already DIY'd the caliper. He said you are perfectly capable of changing a hose yourself, you've replaced calipers. I said I just don't understand how it's connected and it is severely rusted, and I'm not setup to flare lines etc. And he replied ok then we can do it for you, we'll take your money!

I just hate if I am not fully comfortable, meaning in the LS' case, knowing that the level is accurate since there is no dipstick. Remember with my wife's....last time, 5 qts. came out, and it's supposed to be 5/12. Yesterday, the ambient temp was hot, and the car had been driven more. When I tried to fill a gal. milk jug, and a 1 qt. oil bottle, it overflowed. I have seen with my own eyes how much the volume responds to temp....it's the level that makes me feel uneasy...but I hear you...
Old 06-25-18, 10:50 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been looking into replacing, stuffing, or just dealing with my worn out armrest. I stumbled onto armrest cushions on Amazon last night, and I found one that I really like. It arrives tomorrow, and I'll share some pics when it's in. The only real concern I have is the color match (gray), it looks pretty close but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-25-18, 08:06 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
btw I disagree with some on the battery--I "DID NOT" throw away the sleeve that goes around it, I reinstalled it. I threw it away on my Maxima, and when the Maxima was around 15 yo I start to see that the front left corner of the fender rusted--I mean perforated and disintegrated. I asked my uncle what do you think caused that (it's only in the front left corner, nowhere else on the fender)? He said battery gasses, you're supposed to have a sleeve around it to prevent it, is yours still there?
Sorry for dumb question, what is this sleeve? Are you referring to the little plastic thing that cover the battery posts? If this current battery ever die, the replacement will be an AGM battery. No more worries about leaking battery. I have one in my cruiser. The Lexus brand battery does looks pretty new so I am probably stuck with this one for a few years.
Old 06-26-18, 02:31 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

Crossed over 75K miles. Yesterday the car didn't start, just cranked. Key off and on again and it started fine. Maybe just a fluke?
Old 06-28-18, 09:54 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney94
I've been looking into replacing, stuffing, or just dealing with my worn out armrest. I stumbled onto armrest cushions on Amazon last night, and I found one that I really like. It arrives tomorrow, and I'll share some pics when it's in. The only real concern I have is the color match (gray), it looks pretty close but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It looks good. May just get one for added comfort !
Old 06-28-18, 10:24 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney94

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lets see some pics. I would do this as well if it looks decent. In general my armrest is good but the stock padding is horrible. My son's GS arm rest it 10x better for comfort.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?