LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 10:04 AM
treehan77
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Man
I finally asked my Honolulu Lexus dealer to replace my amplifier. They used a rebuilt amp and it worked great for 4 weeks and went silent. Back to the dealer and they go over things and tell me all my speakers are bad (19 years old). They disconnect all but the dash speakers and it works but sounds like a cheap radio.
Were damaged speakers pulling more amps? I'll try to replace the speakers in the car....
Theyre like 20 years old lol. Buy the simplyspeakers.com reform kit and reform them.
The following users liked this post:
808Man (04-15-23)
Old 04-15-23, 07:48 PM
808Man
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Advice! Thanks!
Old 04-17-23, 03:58 PM
Fastguynum
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally fixed the sluggish acceleration issue

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I realize that LS430 forum is missing this standard thread

I will start first...
Checked coolant level. There is coolant in the radiator but the reservoir was empty. I added distilled water for now. Will watch to see if there is a leak or just evaporation.
Radiator will be flushed and filled at 90 K.
i’ve had this nagging light throttle acceleration issue with my 2001 LS 430. Under light acceleration from a stop, the transmission will upshift, and then downshift even though the throttle position did not change. This was especially problematic when changing from second to third and third into fourth gear.
I thought it was a transmission problem since it was not staying in gear long enough before each gear change.
The problem turned out to be the ACIS, which is basically the variable intake runner length mechanism, in the intake manifold. There is a bellcrank for the mechanism on the back of the intake manifold. I used a piece of safety wire and wrapped it around the bellcrank to hold the valves closed. Now, it accelerates very nicely off of light throttle, and no longer down shifts unnecessarily. I will fix the ACIS permanently if I need to remove the intake manifold for any future service, since the system is under the intake manifold.

The butterfly valves will close when the engine starts and open when over a certain RPM and throttle position. When the valves are open, the intake runner length is short and direct.

Last edited by Fastguynum; 04-17-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-19-23, 02:15 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 245 Posts

Cleaned up the engine bay and will have the shop replace the serpentine drive belt tomorrow. When cold there was a lot of clicking/clacking and the belt looks a bit worn.

Update: Belt installed. The shop replaced a failing radiator cap and topped off the coolant…. Hood struts failed (after 9 years) but under warranty so “free” replacements on the way.

Last edited by Duck05; 04-21-23 at 07:33 AM.
Z7USUDRV (04-22-23)
Old 04-23-23, 06:12 AM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately the doors rusted (through) just above the chrome trim at 450,000 km, despite Krown & Fluid Fllm applications. Most LS's that I see driving around here have this problem. Corrective action: Bondo, followed by primer and paint to 'repair' up the affected areas. The rear wheel wells and trunk also had some rust spots that also received this treatment minus the Bondo. Pretty happy about the result.

Good for another 150,000 km. Timing belt & WP later this week. The 3rd set (4 including the factory set).
boostinsc (12-23-23)
Old 04-24-23, 04:48 AM
jhancock
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced all the mark Levinson speakers with new ones. Sounds great!

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I realize that LS430 forum is missing this standard thread

I will start first...
Checked coolant level. There is coolant in the radiator but the reservoir was empty. I added distilled water for now. Will watch to see if there is a leak or just evaporation.
Radiator will be flushed and filled at 90 K.
Replaced all the mark Levinson speakers with new ones. Sounds great!
Old 04-26-23, 06:55 PM
10LS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bored and started engine mount replacement. Now questioning why I didn't trade it in on an LS500. Anyone

able to point me in direction of all the torque values?
Old 04-28-23, 05:06 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 245 Posts

Replaced the failing hood struts. These were the Strong Arm brand that were installed Dec ‘14. They have a “limited lifetime warranty” which ends up being they (the distributor) will replace them but I had to pay shipping ($9.80).

The replacements showed up Tuesday and installed them today. Fairly straightforward since I had already used the slightly larger ball joints so did not have to do that step. Getting the containment band open is a bit tricky so about 10 minutes. The current models feel “beefier” and being new are quite stiff with the hood popping up all on it’s own (at least for a while).
Old 04-30-23, 09:44 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jhancock
Replaced all the mark Levinson speakers with new ones. Sounds great!
Please share more. All my ML speakers are blown. Did you use ML replacements or something different?
RX469 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 01:38 PM
ARCHIVES
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Little Front end Upgrade Nothing fancy

The following 3 users liked this post by ARCHIVES:
Duck05 (07-05-23), LatinLS430 (05-01-23), RX469 (05-15-23)
Old 05-03-23, 04:26 PM
thellmer
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Got my '03 back from the Lexus dealer today and it drives like the day it drove off the lot. Front suspension completely replaced. New ball joints, new upper and lower control arms, new springs, new shocks and shock mounts, new LCA bushings, you name it they replaced it. Steering and ride feels like a brand new car. Glides over bumps like glass and the steering is so tight and on-point.
The following 2 users liked this post by thellmer:
MickTheQ (05-04-23), nvwls (05-03-23)
Old 05-03-23, 05:31 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thellmer
Got my '03 back from the Lexus dealer today and it drives like the day it drove off the lot. Front suspension completely replaced. New ball joints, new upper and lower control arms, new springs, new shocks and shock mounts, new LCA bushings, you name it they replaced it. Steering and ride feels like a brand new car. Glides over bumps like glass and the steering is so tight and on-point.
Sounds like an expensive job from Lexus dealership
LatinLS430 (05-04-23)
Old 05-04-23, 09:07 PM
MickTheQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested in doing this. if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you spend in total?
LatinLS430 (05-05-23)
Old 05-05-23, 10:26 AM
thellmer
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MickTheQ
I am interested in doing this. if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you spend in total?
It wasn't cheap - however it was a lot of parts and labor at the Lexus dealer which has a new rate of like $229 an hour. The total parts, labor and taxes was $5700. However it literally feels and drives like brand new again even on rough NYC streets, and if it lasts another 20 years and another 167k miles then it will have been worth it. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper at an independent shop, but I like the dealer experience - loaner, OEM parts, warranty, etc... and given it's rare to need to spend any money at all other than preventative stuff like this then I'm ok with the price. I plan to keep this car forever so the peace of mind and quality were what I was looking for.
The following 5 users liked this post by thellmer:
CA2WALS430 (05-06-23), Gronemus (09-06-23), intermec (05-05-23), LatinLS430 (05-05-23), MickTheQ (05-06-23)
Old 05-06-23, 07:00 AM
MickTheQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It wasn't cheap - however it was a lot of parts and labor at the Lexus dealer which has a new rate of like $229 an hour. The total parts, labor and taxes was $5700. However it literally feels and drives like brand new again even on rough NYC streets, and if it lasts another 20 years and another 167k miles then it will have been worth it. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper at an independent shop, but I like the dealer experience - loaner, OEM parts, warranty, etc... and given it's rare to need to spend any money at all other than preventative stuff like this then I'm ok with the price. I plan to keep this car forever so the peace of mind and quality were what I was looking for.
Thank you. I would consider doing something like this - my only fear is that if the car is stolen or gets into a serious accident, the insurance carrier would total the car, which means that all of the investment will be flushed down the drain. I am always mindful of that, because the parts are scarce and expensive for this (at least) 16 year old car in relation to its fair market value. I am tempted though; that sounds so good.

CA2WALS430 (05-06-23)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?