LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 07:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll throw it out there.....imho there's a tendency to overreact to cracks. When I was cleaning up the basement I found my two LCA bushings that came out, so I looked at them. The indie shop owner told me emphatically yes you have cracks, but I am very confident when we install the new ones, you will see no benefit. But I wanted it done so he said that's fine, it's your money. He was right. And to support what he was saying, he stated we've had cars come in as you know where we can grab the control arm and move it by hand. That's when you definitely want to replace.

Anyway not sure if there was a driveshaft issue, but if not, imho don't replace things based on looks. Replace based on a symptom. (here's an example with homes....vertical cracks are common, horizontal is serious, with a foundation)

Once again my car hasn't moved in months I guess (this thread prolly says when last driven). If I got word we're working from home until next summer I'd probably sell a car lol
Old 08-15-20, 09:48 PM
styloren
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Really need to start a build thread. Got power ran for the new aftermarket head unit, confirmed it works, gutted the backseat and trunk, test ran my 3-pair of RCAs and remote wire. Need to get my 4 ga. power for amp run to test everything works. Then I'll get the subwoofer enclosure made to mount under the rear deck.
Old 08-15-20, 11:08 PM
Katch
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I installed some lowering springs and replace the struts

Before

After
The following users liked this post:
Duck05 (08-21-20)
Old 08-20-20, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
started her up but could not drive as wife's car blocking the driveway. Hasn't been driven since 6/7 so just wanted to make sure it would start. this is why although many do not agree, I don't feel a car "has" to be started every few days. If it does, imho something isn't right. The BMW hasn't been driven since Feb. I would fully expect it to start up, it's sat for longer in the past. I know this is not ideal and daily driven is, but what are we going to do during times like these?

edit at lunch time, took a 14 mile ride, 8 of which was at highway speed. At least she fully warmed up and got to drive somewhere.
Looks like car hasn't been driven since 6/30, per my post, and I'm planning on driving it in about 20 min. I'm a little nervous since I do know the battery is not perfect, whatever lol let's do it. If it doesn't start I guess I'll have to charge the battery. Prolly will replace this fall or next spring as 4 y.o. and the load test is getting there....
Old 08-21-20, 04:32 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

New rubber and bearing parts have just arrived. Tuesday is the day to install these onto the drive shaft. Can’t wait to feel the difference.
Old 08-24-20, 06:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I cancelled the XM radio. I think for 2 years or maybe 1.5, I've been paying $4/mo. AFTER taxes and fees. I was using the name your price tool from Billy Shatner. Well, it didn't work last time with my wife's GM (worked since 2011), so I was curious and it didn't work this time either with the Lexus. So as the term goes, good riddance! lol (I don't even drive anymore, but, I was streaming while mowing the lawn and cleaning the house--at the same time? $0/mo. is better than $4/mo.! Best they would do is $29/6 mos. which is $38 after taxes and fees, no way would I ever pay that much)
Old 08-24-20, 01:18 PM
repairmatt
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
New rubber and bearing parts have just arrived. Tuesday is the day to install these onto the drive shaft. Can’t wait to feel the difference.
Let us know the difference, I have been wondering if these could be the cause of some highway speed vibrations I've been feeling that don't come through the steering wheel.
Old 08-24-20, 02:54 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by repairmatt
Let us know the difference, I have been wondering if these could be the cause of some highway speed vibrations I've been feeling that don't come through the steering wheel.
I will do my best to describe The first impression . All parts were successfully installed today. It’s my first time replacing something like that.
Old 08-26-20, 03:55 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by ls430w140

Okay, here is what i noticed during the last several days of driving:

- Slightly more firmer acceleration
- Slightly less lag when pressing gas pedal
- Better feel during braking - especially in the 20-5 mph speed range
- Slightly less noise when driving 60mph or more
- Definitely feeling less vibrations from the bottom of the car.

I do not know if this is the cause of some of the concerns when i hear people saying their steering wheel is shaking, or the whole car vibrates, or humming noises. It could easily be poor quality bearings or improperly serviced brakes (these are really important to prevent wandering, vibrations and poor performance).

The condition of the parts which i took off the car was the following:
- The Guibo rubber disk attached to the transmission was almost in brand new condition - no cracks, but slightly softer rubber feel
- The central bearing has some play, slightly less than the new bearing - possibly that the play in that area is normal due to the need of flexibility.
- The Guibo rubber disk attached to the differential had minor cracks in between bushings - slightly softer rubber feel as well.

No major damage to the parts after 120k miles.

If anyone is interested to purchase all three, let me know in PM so i can give you a really good price.
The following users liked this post:
repairmatt (09-03-20)
Old 08-26-20, 03:57 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by repairmatt
If your rubber Giubo disk is out of order, than of course it will transmit and generate some vertical and horizontal movements of the whole driveshaft resulting in additional pressure on transmission mount and potentially differential mount as well. I would say to replace it if you visually see cracks and can feel that the rubber is way too soft. I doubt the disk can be degraded to what some other cars may have as Lexus is known to put a really high quality rubber in their cars.
Old 08-29-20, 09:36 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Been needing to pull the nav screen to redo the felt tape as it's been creaking non-stop since winter. I've tried a couple of times with various pry tools and haven't been able to disloge the clip to pull the switches out, but today, while working on the bike, I realized that the tool I had in my hand could probably work. And it did. Rather than the flat pry tools where you're trying leverage against the surround (which marks and destroys it), you can take this thing and hook it against the small lip and pull straight out. Because the switch molding has supports, a flat tool doesn't have enough purchase and ends up slipping. Because this has those two little prongs, it's able to sit a lot deeper in the lip.

Also looks like someone's been through here before. Was missing one of the screws holding the screen to the bracket. Probably a also source of some of the creaking. Proceeded to drop another into the dash so gotta go find some spares before it goes back in.

Old 08-30-20, 07:19 PM
430Dreamer
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've hit that wall too with the sales person at Sirius. I suggest calling back at least one more time and talking with another rep. On another day even. Works every time for me
Old 09-03-20, 12:26 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

Not mine but had to share. Saw this LS430 in a run down town home complex in Houston. Pretty sketchy area and this poor LS looks like it had been sitting for quite awhile. Looks like it has potential if it were cleaned up and had the ride height adjusted (I assume it's on bags).

Wonder what the story is...
Old 09-03-20, 02:37 PM
430Dreamer
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default keeper?

Originally Posted by Romanova
Not mine but had to share. Saw this LS430 in a run down town home complex in Houston. Pretty sketchy area and this poor LS looks like it had been sitting for quite awhile. Looks like it has potential if it were cleaned up and had the ride height adjusted (I assume it's on bags).

Wonder what the story is...
Yea, who knows what the story is there. The LS430's are just too hard to part with even when they are on static display!!
Old 09-04-20, 12:26 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

New radiator cap and new coolant expansion tank cap. The seals on both were showing a bit of age. Also gave the engine bay a quick wipe down... keeping it looking this good does take some work once in awhile.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?