LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 UL VVT-OCV Replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 05:33 PM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 LS430 UL VVT-OCV Replacement question

I have a 2001 LS430 UL w/ 138k miles. Family and I are currently on vacation (670mi. from home) and 340mi. into the trip the CEL and VSC OFF lights came on (cruise stopped working and "Check VSC" is displayed). It was 10:30pm on Saturday night and no-one was open. Made decision to push on to destination. Next morning I went to Autozone to have codes read. P1351 & P1354. I looked around on this forum and identified that the Oil Control Valve (OCV) seemed to be a common cause for these errors. I called the local Lexus Dealer (Lexus of Clearwater) to see about scheduling appointment. Was told that it would be Thursday, 27MAR14 before I could get in. We're leaving on Wednesday morning headed home so I took a cab to purchase the part, unhooked the negative battery terminal and replaced the Bank 2 (drivers side) OCV. The battery disconnect seemed to clear the codes and the fix lasted for just over 4 miles then both CEL and VSC OFF came back on and "Check VSC" was once again displayed.. Took vehicle back to Autozone and same P1351 & P1354 codes are back! Oil change was completed less than 800mi ago with Penzoil Full Synthetic. 4 new Michelin tires and alignment (Toyota of Huntsville) are also less than 800mi. One thing of note is that the connector clip to the OCV is broken (was that way when I opened the hood to check location of sensor) and connector moves side to side slightly so I zip tied it as tight as I could and wrapped it in electrical tape to help hold it into place. There is still slight movement but I don't want to press too much harder on connection for fear of damaging the connector further. Vehicle runs perfectly smooth when CEL and VSC OFF lights are not illuminated but does have a slightly rough idle and hesitation after they come on. This was also the case prior to replacing the OCV. Major concern is safety of family AND vehicle for return 670mi trip. Last major service was valve cover gasket replacement at 137k miles. Timing Belt, Water pump, etc. were changed at Toyota Dealer @ 131k miles. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
Old 03-25-14, 05:33 PM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Update: Lexus of Clearwater was able to work me in today at lunch and replaced the opposite bank sensor and replaced the broken connector. So far (48miles later) everything is working great. Shaun was the service consultant that worked me in and was very helpful throughout the entire process. Only concern was the inconsistency in Club Lexus discount (quoted 20% by service tech and 10% by service desk at check-out) that I was quoted but I was very happy just to receive the discount so all in all everything worked out well.
Old 03-25-14, 06:01 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I was curious about the repair cost and whether you got home ok, keep us posted.
Old 03-26-14, 06:24 PM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Repair cost after discount and Tax was $339.68. That included the noted repairs, resetting the computer and checking for other potential errors as well as the multi-point inspection and complimentary wash and vacuum. Total time from initial drop-off was 2hrs 23min. Wife convinced me to postpone return trip until tomorrow. We took the kids to LegoLand today to hopefully make up for my absence from their vacation but will hit the road tomorrow mid-morning. During the trip to LegoLand (82mi from Redington Shores) the Cruise would flash the Caution Triangle and disengage-turning itself off after being on for 3 or 4 miles but after leaving the park this evening I was able to drive for just over 36miles with it engaged the entire time and it didn't error so I'm crossing my fingers that whatever that error was has cycled itself out of the system. Will post again once I get home and have an opportunity to evaluate on the 600mi+ journey.