LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 downgrade from NAV to no-NAV

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 07:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Definitely agree all the screen based NAV apps on phones, garmin style devices, and inbuilt car screens are all potential dangerous visual distractions that can cause loss of situational awareness (term more commonly used investigating airplane crashes) that can cause an accident. Anything that takes your eyes off the road however briefly can be dangerous. Somewhat mitigating the visual distraction risk, most of these devices, including the better phone apps, now provide audible turn by turn directions so that the driver does not have to take eyes off the road as much.

Control and information screens in a car can be a bad idea in my opinion, we are in the infancy of screens in cars, at some point there will have to be standards developed and used that standardize the interface and also limit how it is used by the driver.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-14-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 11:19 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The Gen 4 Nav system does a decent (and better than the Gen 2/3 system) of providing audible and timely turn-by-turn guidance. And the distances until a turn are reflected in feet (500, 400, 300, 200, 100 feet) on the Gen 4 (in tenths of a mile on Gen 2/3), and the zoom in feature on the Nav 4 screen maximizes to a 700 feet view (vs. 1/16 mile on Gen 2/3). Having had the Gen 2/3 for many years and 200K miles, and now having the Gen 4 in both LS's, the Gen 4 is much improved especially for turns in city driving. Yes, it'll definitely be interesting to see the continuing evolution of technology and screens in cars. Audi just revealed a self-driving car (the A7) at the Consumer Electronics Show this month!
Old 01-14-14, 12:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
The Gen 4 Nav system does a decent (and better than the Gen 2/3 system) of providing audible and timely turn-by-turn guidance. And the distances until a turn are reflected in feet (500, 400, 300, 200, 100 feet) on the Gen 4 (in tenths of a mile on Gen 2/3), and the zoom in feature on the Nav 4 screen maximizes to a 700 feet view (vs. 1/16 mile on Gen 2/3). Having had the Gen 2/3 for many years and 200K miles, and now having the Gen 4 in both LS's, the Gen 4 is much improved especially for turns in city driving. Yes, it'll definitely be interesting to see the continuing evolution of technology and screens in cars. Audi just revealed a self-driving car (the A7) at the Consumer Electronics Show this month!
Once the car is driving itself I am happy to have a large flat screen installed in the back where I will be comfortably kicked back with appropriate amounts of wine and womens : )
Old 01-15-14, 07:52 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

For the record, I have to correct (amplify) some information I provided above ... the Gen 4 Nav system allows zoom in on map all the way down to 150 feet (not 700 feet) segments (which the Gen 2/3 does not) - maximizing road detail and distances down to very refined levels. Also, to put the Nav technology and evolution into a proper time perspective, even the Gen 5 DVD-based Nav system (the Nav system on many Lexus and Toyota models through 2009) wasn't really much of an improvement over the Gen 4 system. (I have a Toyota with Gen 5 Nav and it has virtually the same features as the Lexus Gen 4). It wasn't until late 2009 - 2010 that screen (Nav) technology improved significantly and audio technology with USB ports started to appear in vehicles.
Old 01-22-14, 05:53 PM
SLLTO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
For '04 to '06, both the Nav and Mark Levinson features were included in the Modern Luxury package, and neither was available as a separate option.
So, you could not buy a car (at least in the US) with only one of the options.
I am not certain that the above applied to '01 to '03 cars.
Also, in some years (I don't remember which ones), Nav was not available in Canada - presumably because Lexus had not licensed the Canadian road database.
i am also in canada and have a 04 with NAV and ML
Old 09-14-16, 10:08 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I personally can't see paying money to upgrade to another dvd disk based NAV on the LS these days. The mapping function on my 5S phone is so much better and easier to use. Also have latest Garmin as backup but use that mostly for traveling/road trips. I personally think the Lexus NAV systems made before 2010 or so are pretty obsolete especially dvd based systems (that is 90's technology at best). But that is just my opinion..no more no less. Lots of very smart folks on this forum like the Lexus NAV systems in the LS especially the later year versions. They are not wrong - they have a different opinion and viewpoint on the NAV system - and it is perfectly valid perspective. This forum is so valuable and somewhat unique in part because folks can successfully share differing opinions and perspectives about LS430s and related automotive items/issues in a civilized and respectful manner.

It will be interesting to see what folks are using in these cars as audio/Nav systems continue to evolve. I am pretty confident some of these cars will be driven as classics in next 20-30 years. Hope I am around to see it.
I also think there will 430's around as classics.
Old 03-15-19, 06:18 PM
Bayani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Just curious. Can you get the Mark Levinson system without nav? Don't think I've ever seen a car with Levinson and without nav.
I have an ML system without Navigation
Old 03-16-19, 07:40 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Nav

Yes I think we figured out Bayani has one of the very few with ML and W/O nav, Hawaii car. Who needs nav on an island?

I use my Gen 4 nav as a backup. It saved my bacon my first day driving the car for work. Had an appointment to meet a customer at a restaurant out of town. My cell battery went dead. Uh oh, I use Waze for nav. Fortunately the place was in the Gen 4 database and the Lexus nav got me there.

I am not motivated to replace my navigation with a more modern unit. Gen 4 is OK not great but OK. Given all the other functions that use the screen I will continue to use it.
The voice command however is a joke. The voice command in my old Prius was OK, it was 5 model years newer.