LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 01:40 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
On the OEM window the ONLY weather stripping is the piece that you are referring to. The one that runs along the top of the window. If you read a lot of the wind noise threads people have either filled in or taped over this because of the design. When I spoke with the glass company they knew of this issue and stated that the design is poor and allows air in and creates wind noise. I choose the option of using a larger weather strip to cover the groove and it seals the whole area. I no longer have any wind noise at high speeds. It may not look as fancy but it does the job much better.

As far as the window size goes, they were exactly the same. From the rain sensor section to the black dots on the windshield I could not tell a bit of difference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-10-cents.html
where did you get the weatherstrip to cover the groove? I would like to get one. I checked on my car and now can see the groove it has above the windshield chrome trim. The PO replaced the cracked windshield as part of the purchase deal. My son who is in the automotive glass business said it was the cheapest windshield that can be had.
If the windshield gets damaged I will exchange it with a better one. In the meantime I would like to close the gap. With a black car the black weatherstrip will be barely noticable
Old 01-04-16, 03:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The installer provided the top weather stripping on this install. This windshield took a big rock on the highway about a year later and cracked. On my second install I purchased the OEM weather stripping with a chrome strip. If you replace the glass make sure to ask the installer to fill the gaps on the top left and right with his glue gunk. This will help with wind noise and make it more quiet the then the factory install.
Old 01-04-16, 07:45 PM
semar
Advanced

I would prefer the weatherstrip
Filling the gap with glue could be a major job to remove the windshield.
I also think that installing the glass with flexible adhesive allows the glass to expand and contract.
I will ask my son if he can supply the weatherstripping
Old 01-04-16, 07:51 PM
semar
Advanced

was the OEM chrome strip completely removed or did the weatherstripping fit in the groove?
Old 01-04-16, 08:13 PM
semar
Advanced

I will try to close the gap with ethafoam rod. They come in various sizes. Just see what it will do
Old 01-05-16, 03:40 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by semar
was the OEM chrome strip completely removed or did the weatherstripping fit in the groove?
Both the OEM and aftermarket weather stripping need to be set when installing the new windshield.
Old 01-05-16, 05:03 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your windshield is with heating option? Pilkington glass was with the heating pipe?

Pilkington distributor found windshield with rain sensor option but without heating pipe. I am thinking to go with OEM. Insurance will pay about 780$ and I must pay 390$.
Old 01-05-16, 05:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

No, just the rain sensor. I would go with OEM as well at that out of pocket expense. OEM for me would have been $1200 before installation.
Old 01-05-16, 07:30 AM
Rosson3ri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lavrishevo,

Off topic but did you mount your 16" wheels with blizzaks yet? I recently purchased the same set you have....did you have any problems mounting them? I want to mount mine this weekend.....anything i should be aware of??
Old 01-05-16, 07:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Not yet as there was no need. I am planning on mounting them next week when I return from a business trip. I will have a shop double check the balance before putting them on.
Old 01-08-16, 05:56 AM
Owczar
Driver

I decided to go with OEM windshield. Replace will be made by windshield specialized service. I bought OEM upper moulding also.

Do you remember if left and right windshield moulding clips were replaced? How to remove moulding to do not broke clips?
And what about interior pillars garnish? Service manual say to push on upper side and then pull them.
Old 01-08-16, 01:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

No clips were replaced or broken on my installations. Must depend on climate and condition of the plastic.
Old 01-09-16, 02:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

On older LS400's the OEM windshield will take a good rock hit and not break. A rock that will divot the OEM glass will crack non OEM glass easy. I think the OEM is much stronger and thicker, and you have to remember on modern cars the front and rear glass become part of the structure. In a roll over your thinner non OEM glass may not take the weight. Remember Lexus engineered and spec'ed every component in the car and of course tested for roll over conditions. Non OEM glass may be putting you at risk in more ways than one.
Old 01-09-16, 08:41 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a Pilkington and it's been perfect. Rain sensor works, great clarity, etc. I regret not replacing it sooner.

I can't imagine throwing $1,500 plus dollars on a dealer windshield when a Toyota OEM manufacturer offers a replacement that works so well for under $200.
Old 01-09-16, 09:53 AM
Owczar
Driver

But I am afraid that pilkington doesn`t offer heated windshield :/

Quick Reply: Went with Pilkington glass