LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Beatsonic question - 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 07:26 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beatsonic question - 04 LS430

Hey folks. I have a question about beatsonic and hoped someone here may have experience with it. I am all set to order the beatsonic kit for my 04 LS430 WITH NAV and ML system.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...c-mva-24l.html

My question is this...can I get away with the NAV bypass module, or do I need the NAV/DVD bypass module?

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beatsonic-nvk-01.html
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...ss-module.html

I called Beatsonic and they said yes, I will need one of them, but weren't sure which. Given my car currently has NAV only, I am hoping the NAV bypass will be enough and I can save $100 LOL. However, I do want DVD playback on the NAV screen.

Has anyone installed just the NAV bypass and had it work for DVD while in motion, or will my car block the function?

Also, any pictures of your installed Double DIN units would be appreciated...I would like to see what the grey faceplate looks like against a car with the wood dash. The wood is overwhelming in this car, but I fear the grey panel wont blend well...

Thanks to everyone!
The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (04-09-23)
Old 07-22-13, 01:10 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my link to my write up on the Beatsonic Kit. You can see in the pictures the grey is spot on with the factory color. I only purchased the MVA-24L. I think you would need the NAV/DVD kit to get all the features you are wanting but someone else with more experience with the kit could confirm that or Beatsonic themselves. Overall I love the kit.
Good luck.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...sonic-kit.html
Z7USUDRV (04-09-23)
Old 07-22-13, 02:37 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

there's no write-up there - only a 'brag-post'....
Old 07-22-13, 02:53 PM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt get the NAV/DVD bypass module but here is a pic. I installed it myself, it took a couple hrs but it wasn't too difficult. Everything has been working great for a year now.

Z7USUDRV (04-09-23)
Old 07-22-13, 07:48 PM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. I am sold the grey looks better than the wood. Just my preference. Too much wood in my car already. Even my dang steering wheel is wood. Lol

Anyone else have the distortion issues that 1STLXS has? Any front side advice? I intend to do a full system swap but can afford the level of components I want just yet.

LROY, does your DVD play on the upper screen while driving?
Old 07-23-13, 01:15 PM
SLLTO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post pics when you get your install done...really trying to find out what im gonna do with mine cuz i really dont want to screens in the dash as of right now
Old 07-25-13, 08:19 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KStrong
Thanks for the replies guys. I am sold the grey looks better than the wood. Just my preference. Too much wood in my car already. Even my dang steering wheel is wood. Lol

Anyone else have the distortion issues that 1STLXS has? Any front side advice? I intend to do a full system swap but can afford the level of components I want just yet.

LROY, does your DVD play on the upper screen while driving?

My upper screen doesn't play DVD's, only the lower. I did have distortion issues before I got everything tuned. I went back in my emails and found this reponse from a user named "Motohide"
This should fix it.

Since you seem to have a LS430 Ultra Package with Multi Display and Mark Levinson, I assume you are using the MVA23 Adapter, correct? If so, the MVA series system works by using the audio signal in serial connection from aftermarket system, feeding the speaker output (variable low impedance) into the OEM system. Therefore, turning the aftermarket system audio output to too little volume can result in noticeable hiss, while turning it too high may cause distortion. Always find a sweet spot in the aftermarket system output, and then use only the OEM audio volume control to make volume adjustments. You might want to use the OEM FM radio and aftermarket FM radio to setup the aftermarket system output levels to match that of OEM radio output as calibration point, then fix the aftermarket system volume and use the OEM volume control from that point.

Also, disconnection of rear audio volume switch in the armrest can also help if the noise issue is caused by some interference from having two separate volume circuits (along with the steering mounted volume controller). This may or may not be a problem.

If you are using any aftermarket amplifiers, ipod controllers, ext source, or any type of accessory DVD changers in addition to the OEM devices, then make sure there are no ground loop issues with the entire system as well.

As with any custom system in a car with so much on-board equipment, noise from various ground looping or DC electromagnetic hum can be difficult to isolate and only trick I can say for that is patience and diligence in separating audio signals from DC current lines and loops in ground connections. Toyota cars are built pretty well in terms of design on these issues, but locations and contact/splice points of aftermarket systems can still cause issues with noise.
Old 07-27-13, 08:22 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply guys. So I made my order and received everything. I bought the NAV/DVD override modules as well. Problem is, my car is int he shop this weekend LOL. I will try my best to take pics and post a semi write up (not very good at that). Plan to install sometime this coming week!
Old 07-28-13, 12:01 PM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

OK, since I get my car back tomorrow I was preparing for the install today. A couple of observations:

1. The kit looks to be very well made.
2. The wiring was easy. I actually had the right bullet connectors and saved a trip to Napa Auto. However...I am assuming my back up camera and everything else will just function as normal? I figure back up camera will continue on OEM screen and not the new head unit, so I didnt worry about wiring the HU?
3. The pop outs for the switches are cheesy. I only have the one switch in my car. Might get the other two just to clean up the look.
4. It appears I cannot use the trim ring on the HU. That is dissapointing. I didnt notice it on the other pictures posted but now that I look I see it clear as day.

Last edited by KStrong; 07-28-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 04:15 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KStrong
OK, since I get my car back tomorrow I was preparing for the install today. A couple of observations:

1. The kit looks to be very well made.
2. The wiring was easy. I actually had the right bullet connectors and saved a trip to Napa Auto. However...I am assuming my back up camera and everything else will just function as normal? I figure back up camera will continue on OEM screen and not the new head unit, so I didnt worry about wiring the HU?
3. The pop outs for the switches are cheesy. I only have the one switch in my car. Might get the other two just to clean up the look.
4. It appears I cannot use the trim ring on the HU. That is dissapointing. I didnt notice it on the other pictures posted but now that I look I see it clear as day.
I agree on the pop outs and I also plan on getting couple of switches just to fill in the other two slots. Back up camera will display on OEM HU. Post pics once you have installed it.
Old 08-03-13, 06:17 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

OK guys. Install is done. Was pretty easy, but took longer than it should because of a couple things I didnt realize. I will do my best to document some tips here for others.

First up, the starting pic.

It comes out easily. Use proper plastic trim removal tools so you dont scratch anything. There are three screws under the the next set, then 2 bolts holding the factory changer and head unit.

Make sure you have all the right parts. This is a grey MV-24L kit with the NAV and DVD override modules. You WILL need the DVD override even if your car didnt have DVD before.

Everything is plug and play, as advertised. I connected the two front channels from the deck, and also the powers and grounds. Thats it. No remote wires, no back up can, nothing else to the deck. I did also integrate the HU video ground (parking brake switch) into the ground system so the DVD will play in motion from the new HU.
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-stock-dash.jpg   Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-parts.jpg  

Last edited by KStrong; 08-03-13 at 06:32 AM.
Z7USUDRV (04-09-23)
Old 08-03-13, 06:22 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

The DVD bypass is installed behind the OEM screen, alonf with the video input cord. Video input plugged into an empty port on the screen. The bypass go inline with a molex style plug in the unit. There is a ground wire, which I chose to ground on the mounting bracket as seen in the pic.

Now, it took me a while to figure out how to remove this. The screws are behind the temp adjustment buttons on the side. BE CAREFUL. They are short, and it is an awkward position to get to them. PUT A TOWEL INSIDE THE DASH TO CATCH THEM! You will drop at least one, and it will be gone forever LOL . I dropped two. For reference, they are M5-.80 metrics bolts. Lowe's has them
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-oem-screen-mount-1.jpg   Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-dvd.jpg  
Old 08-03-13, 06:27 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

The antennae runs from the trunk to the dash. This took the longest, as I removed most of my trunk liner to make a clean run and integrate the wire. Its the box on the forward/Left of the picture below where it plugs into. Run the cord around the rear of the trunk and up through the port on the left side of the seat. This took a while so be patient getting it through. I apologize, I didnt take any pics of where I ran the wire, only where it mounted in the trunk

Now here is where I screwed up. I didnt realize the NAV override went in the trunk. So I installed the antennae and reinstalled all the trunk liner, then realized I needed to adde the telephone style wire for the NAV control switch. In the end, it didnt matter to me, as I just left the switch active in the trunk, but if you want it up front with you, remember to run the wire with the antennae.
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-antennae.jpg   Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-nav.jpg  
Old 08-03-13, 06:30 AM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

And that's it. Total time involved was about 3 hours, but that was because I spent a lot of time contemplating where the wires would run and then figuring out where the hell the NAV bypass went

Overall, I am very happy with the kit. I feel it was over priced for what I got, but I understand as it is a unique item for unique application. The grey is not a perfect match in my car, but close enough to make me happy. Everything works perfectly as advertised. I am still dissapointed in not being able to use my HU trim ring, but I intend to see if I can bevel it down to fit sometime soon.
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-instaled-1.jpg   Beatsonic question - 04 LS430-installed.jpg  
Z7USUDRV (04-09-23)
Old 08-04-13, 08:30 AM
john339
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to remove the rear seat to get the antenna wire to the front?

Quick Reply: Beatsonic question - 04 LS430