LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 UL Murcury Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 10:37 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver13
The car does ride best in the sport/high mode, but still has a little rocking from back right to front left, weird. It could be a shock maybe, I will have it checked out, it's driving me nuts! Thanks for the post, much appreciated!
The right rear is common to go out. If there is any horizontal motion going over bumps at high speed it means it needs to be replaced. Mine went out right around your mileage but has been fine ever since, and i now have 110k miles.
Old 06-14-13, 07:35 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver13
The car does ride best in the sport/high mode, but still has a little rocking from back right to front left, weird. It could be a shock maybe, I will have it checked out, it's driving me nuts! Thanks for the post, much appreciated!
Sport and High are not the same thing. High is to be used only at low speeds and if you have it on high, that may be the reason you feel it is floaty. Seems you really need an owner's manual. You can get on free from Lexus web site after registering your info and VIN.
Old 06-14-13, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I had an issue with a car one time (not an LS and not a Lexus) where one of the stabilizer links on the anti-roll bar in the front had failed causing a diagonal back and forth motion from front left corner to rear right corner...

If you had one failed air shock I don't think you would feel the same motion...
Old 06-18-13, 12:24 PM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Static is just a term used to discernible a car that' has a fixed height rather than air ride. I agree with jayclapp that air is so much more convenient and possibly comfortable compared to some coil over set ups. But I'll still prefer an adjustable suspension that's reliable. Air shocks do go and the outcome can be costly. Either way sick find good luck with it!
Old 06-19-13, 07:57 PM
Driver13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
The right rear is common to go out. If there is any horizontal motion going over bumps at high speed it means it needs to be replaced. Mine went out right around your mileage but has been fine ever since, and i now have 110k miles.
Thanks for the advice on this, very helpful! I am going to wait until the 60k service to have it checked out.
Old 06-19-13, 08:00 PM
Driver13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InfamousLS
Static is just a term used to discernible a car that' has a fixed height rather than air ride. I agree with jayclapp that air is so much more convenient and possibly comfortable compared to some coil over set ups. But I'll still prefer an adjustable suspension that's reliable. Air shocks do go and the outcome can be costly. Either way sick find good luck with it!
Thanks Infamous...I will get this checked out at the 60k service. When this thing rides right it will be sicker than sick, can't wait!
Old 06-19-13, 08:04 PM
Driver13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I had an issue with a car one time (not an LS and not a Lexus) where one of the stabilizer links on the anti-roll bar in the front had failed causing a diagonal back and forth motion from front left corner to rear right corner...

If you had one failed air shock I don't think you would feel the same motion...
Thanks SW, I think you are right. You nailed it, I do get that diagonal back and forth motion from front left corner to rear right corner. I will suggest that they look at the stabilizer links...This forum is awesome!
Old 06-19-13, 08:09 PM
Driver13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Sport and High are not the same thing. High is to be used only at low speeds and if you have it on high, that may be the reason you feel it is floaty. Seems you really need an owner's manual. You can get on free from Lexus web site after registering your info and VIN.
Hey jayclapp, Thanks for the info on this, much appreciated! I did finally get a manual from the dealer that they had promised me. I will read up on the Sport/High modes for the best possible ride quality.
Old 06-19-13, 08:12 PM
Driver13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aypues
Hey aypues, thanks for the advice on this! I'm not getting any horizontal motions when going over bumps yet, I think it could be a stabilizer problem. Once I get this figured out I will be very happy with this car!