LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering wheel not telescoping/adjusting automatically (2003)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 10:51 AM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Costs

Originally Posted by ebolger
I did get done by the Toyota dealer in Lodi, CA about a year and a half ago. $1300 out the door. I am a happy camper.
If I bring parts, my local independent Lexus shop has quoted about $300 (likely less) to install new motors (for both tilt and telescope). That works out to about half the dealer quotes I've received. Quite a difference!
Old 02-18-14, 04:44 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoman
If I bring parts, my local independent Lexus shop has quoted about $300 (likely less) to install new motors (for both tilt and telescope). That works out to about half the dealer quotes I've received. Quite a difference!
That's a hell of a deal!
Old 02-18-14, 05:00 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motionman
I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'7", so that is not a good option.

MotionMan
Im not sure you quite understood what he meant. What he meant is auto retract turned off not just to disable the tilt/telescope steering. The auto retract will disable but memory settings and manual should still work.
Old 05-11-14, 11:24 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribing to this thread. I have the exact symptoms of a few here in that the telescoping wheel will work via the switch and will auto retract when ignition is turned off but does not move forward when car is turned on or when using memory settings. The tilt is completely dead on the lowest setting and works none of the time.

I have ordered a new tilt motor from sewell. Hoping this cures the weird telescopic symptoms too as it seems the motor works fine. Will install and report back. Otherwise I'll order the telescopic motor too but haven't found a detailed install on that yet to attempt myself.
Old 05-12-14, 04:05 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmore430
Subscribing to this thread. I have the exact symptoms of a few here in that the telescoping wheel will work via the switch and will auto retract when ignition is turned off but does not move forward when car is turned on or when using memory settings. The tilt is completely dead on the lowest setting and works none of the time.

I have ordered a new tilt motor from sewell. Hoping this cures the weird telescopic symptoms too as it seems the motor works fine. Will install and report back. Otherwise I'll order the telescopic motor too but haven't found a detailed install on that yet to attempt myself.
Let us know how it works out. My 06 Telescopic is dead. I only drive this car a few times a month as it is my wife's. I drove it yesterday and kick myself for not fixing it. If it had pooped out about an inch more in I would not mess with it.
Old 05-12-14, 10:44 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Yes I will definitely post my results back. Tilt motor should be here in a few days from sewell. I'm hoping that somehow fixes my weird telescoping issue when I turn the car on. If not I'll order the telescopic motor right away. I've had the car under a year and she only has 70k so I plan to keep it another 3-5 years at least. I want these features working and I feel it's kind of dumb to have the column disabled on a lexus flagship sedan no matter how old. Wish me luck!
Old 05-12-14, 11:12 AM
empringham
Advanced

im unsure if this will help anyone, but i too was having a problem like this with my wheel, except mine is a 01 and it stopped working simply because it seemed the problem was the mechanisms were not lubricated. had my buddy go through it all and apply lubrication and everything seems to be working perfectly now.
Old 05-12-14, 10:56 PM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Same problem with an LS430 2001 at 90K miles. There are 2 motors that you can replace, one is tilt and the other is retract.. If the tilt motor goes out, it disables the auto-extend on startup. Exactly the first poster's problem. Motor is about $350 at Sewell if I recall correctly, labor at an independent is about $150.
Old 05-13-14, 10:25 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Snoman that's reassuring to hear. I'll install the tilt motor and post back. Also going to go to an optima yellow top battery since my current one has been drained a few times and is a few years old. Thanks for your help gentlemen
Old 05-19-14, 12:31 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Tilt motor installed. Fixed my problems. When the tilt motor is dead it disables the auto forward on the telescope motor.
Old 09-17-14, 12:10 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If pulling the fuse will keep many more LS owners from losing their motor's functionality then maybe someone should post something on which fuse to remove and where!? Reinserting the fuse on date night is a good option for me However, I don't think an auto-retracting steering wheel is impressive or sexy. Maybe I'm not old or frail enough.

If I find this info then I'll post it here where I feel it should be.
Old 09-17-14, 03:20 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

On my 2004 LS430, the fuse for power to the tilt motor and telescope motor is located in the driver-side kick panel junction box. It's a 20A fuse called "TI & TE".
Old 09-18-14, 02:33 AM
Lex223
Driver School Candidate

I just had my local Lexus dealer disable the auto-tilt feature on my (newly acquired) '04 LS430 for $24.

When I asked about the procedure, the service writer had no idea that it could be disabled. He had to call one of the service tech's about it. Nice product knowledge!!!

Last edited by Lex223; 09-18-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 10:51 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks rkw77080...

THE PROCEDURE TO DISABLE OR FIX A BURNT OUT TILT/TELESCOPING WHEEL FUSE:
1.Open driver side door and start the car to put the steering wheel in the position you want it to stay in(if you're removing the fuse)... you're almost done..
2.Open fuse box under driver side dash, located left of the emergency brake.
3. Use a pliers or fuse puller to pull the 20A fuse labeled "TI TE" in the upper left corner of fuse panel(2nd from top). Fuse descriptions are on the back of the fuse panel door. You're done.

Reinsert the fuse anytime you want the functionality back. Might not want to remove the fuse if more than one body type drives the car.
The following users liked this post:
LVPUNK (07-18-18)
Old 04-07-19, 10:29 PM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody out there whats to sale me his bad tilt motor ? .. for a resonable price of course .

Quick Reply: Steering wheel not telescoping/adjusting automatically (2003)