LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 Subwoofer Finally replaced! YAY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 01:09 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 04 LS430 Subwoofer Finally replaced! YAY!

Hi Guys, after heaps of research on here I finally replaced my Subwoofer on my 04 LS430. I tried the glue fix around the speaker but mine was past that and it has small tears right through the cone and it had already been glued.

Got the Mark Levinson sub shipped from Lexus in USA and was much cheaper than prices in my country.

I didn't find the install to be that easy at all, but I had tried the whole thing once before to get the part number of my broken sub because Lexus Australia wouldn't give me the part number and I wanted to make sure a USA one would fit.

I guess it was kind of less daunting the 2nd time around.

In Australia I have the equivalent of the Ultra Luxury model with rear blind, reclining and cooled seats and the 2 air purifier grilles that look like speakers on the rear deck. I had to be REALLY careful and I couldn't lift up the rear deck very much even after partially removing the seats. I removed the bottom rear seats and tilted the back pieces forwards. I couldn't remove the air purifier grilles but I managed to force up the rear deck just enough to remove the speaker and replace it after a few hours!!. I accidentally dropped one of the speaker screws down a hole in the back deck which took me another 1hr to get it back thanks to my magnetic pick up tool!

NEW SUB from Lexus USA!

Mine was an 8 inch sub fitment with part number 86160-0W260

New sub on the left and the old one on the right (there were tiny tears on it that you cant see on the pic) It has already been glued and was sun damaged.

Not FUN! A set of plastic pry bar tools a socket set and my magnetic pick up tool were all vital to the project!

Rear deck loosened up - there still wasn't much room to work. The bits back there are very fraglie!

So glad it's all over now - I don't want to be doing this ever again!

Last edited by LEX ES300; 08-23-12 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 04:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Congrats on the diy. Thanks for sharing the pics with the forum.
Old 08-23-12, 10:23 PM
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pictures on the DIY
Old 08-24-12, 05:12 PM
BURNT430
Driver School Candidate

How much did the new sub cost? I have a blown one in my 430. I just purchased the car today and besides getting it tinted all around this upcoming week that is the first thing I planned to do.
Old 08-26-12, 06:19 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BURNT430
How much did the new sub cost? I have a blown one in my 430. I just purchased the car today and besides getting it tinted all around this upcoming week that is the first thing I planned to do.
Hi,

I got it new for about $300. To some thats very expensive, but my old one was beyond repair and I just wanted OEM and didn't want to risk messing around with factory system or making mods to the housings.

Its way better than spending $490 which is what the same sub would cost in my country Australia. I'll take any discount I can get!
Old 08-26-12, 06:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

$300 is a fair price. I too decided on sticking with refoaming the factory sub as to replacing with an aftermarket speaker. With aftermarket comes some uncertainty of dealing with mods to the rear shelf and any possilbe after affects on the factory amp. Now you are good to go. Unless our cars are garaged constantly, very few owners escape from having to replace their rear subwoofer.
Old 08-26-12, 06:54 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi,

I got it new for about $300. To some thats very expensive, but my old one was beyond repair and I just wanted OEM and didn't want to risk messing around with factory system or making mods to the housings.

Its way better than spending $490 which is what the same sub would cost in my country Australia. I'll take any discount I can get!
Nice write, that's a nice looking interior you have.
Old 08-30-12, 12:15 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Lex ES300,

Do you have a part number for that center mat? I want one.
Old 08-30-12, 02:48 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

^^^^ +1 that center mat is way cool
Old 09-02-12, 10:52 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if the replacement subs ordered from Toyota have been improved and no longer have the design flaw? Or is this sub designed to fail too? Because given the Mark Levinson prestige, Lexus customers obviously love and expect quality sound and quality components to keep up with the demand of its listeners. From rap to classical, and from digital bass tones to pipe organ rumble these high-end subs should not be falling apart. And there obviously is a demand because enough Lexus owners have voiced the high failure rate as tracked in Consumer Reports as a WORSE THAN AVERAGE in the 'audio system'.

Also, does anyone know the frequency response of the ML sub, because the after market replacement subs some have mentioned have a freq response that only goes down to 30 or 38 hz which is a disappointment in my book. If the ML has a lower freq response, than it would seem that the aftermarket subs would not be reproducing some low end bass passages that the ML would handily reproduce. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 09-03-12, 05:28 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Hey Lex ES300,

Do you have a part number for that center mat? I want one.
I thought they all came with the floor mats and the centre standard? Perhaps the factory lexus car mats I have here in Australia are different? Sadly, there's no part number on it and whilst the rears are ok, I need new front ones. Tan mats get so dirty quickly. I was hoping to find a set of Tan rubber ones to help protect the carpet, or perhaps I will have to order a set of Black ones to hide any dirt marks. I'd love to get front mats cheaper overseas, but you guys have LH drive cars so the front mats don't fit mine.
Old 09-03-12, 12:04 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

If you guys look around on the internet or ebay I have seen kits and companies thart re-cone speakers.
There is nothing wrong with your speakers except that the rubber surround is deteriorated and needs to
have a the cone replaced and as I recall is not very expensive.
A local hi end audio dealer may be able to recone it for you if you have a replacement cone kit....
Old 09-03-12, 01:02 PM
CurtAZ
Driver School Candidate

I was planning on going aftermarket but after reading all the threads I didn’t want to risk damage to the ml amp. I found a local guy that will do a complete recone for $40… It’s worth a shot!
Old 09-03-12, 01:34 PM
ippo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm, I wouldn't want to remove the seats just to replace the sub. Why can't it just be like the sub in the 1GS; they are easily accessible through the trunk.

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Unless our cars are garaged constantly, very few owners escape from having to replace their rear subwoofer.
How can the garage prevent the subwoofer from blowing up?
Old 09-04-12, 04:13 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ippo
hmmm, I wouldn't want to remove the seats just to replace the sub. Why can't it just be like the sub in the 1GS; they are easily accessible through the trunk.

How can the garage prevent the subwoofer from blowing up?
The direct sunlight and heat deteriorates the foam around the cone.

Quick Reply: 04 LS430 Subwoofer Finally replaced! YAY!