LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering wheel clear cracked

Old 02-16-17, 03:13 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I am glad that you are pleased with your steering wheel finish. You will have to redo it again as the Tung oil will wear down. The frequency will depend on how many coats you have applied. I did about 3 coats and it lasted well over a year. The next time will become almost as easy as applying a few coats of wax.

Yeah, I did 3 coats as well..
Old 02-19-17, 03:46 PM
PURDY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an interesting idea about the tung oil, has anyone tried re applying a clear coat on these wheels? And what have you guys done about the actual leather wearing off?
Old 02-19-17, 06:55 PM
2KHarrier

No problems with the leather. A few light scuffs on the leather, but overall it's in nice shape
Old 02-19-17, 07:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

My steering wheel clear has been cracked for almost 7 years since purchasing and has not progressed since then. I periodically apply car wax and thoroughly buff it off. It leaves a smooth finish and also helps to remove the feel of any of the clear cracking or separating. Unless looking very closely, after 16 years, you can not see any significant steering wheel deterioration and it still has a nice luster with no fading. PS.....I have been using a front Sun Shade regularly for the last 7 years as well.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 02-19-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 08:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PURDY
That's an interesting idea about the tung oil, has anyone tried re applying a clear coat on these wheels? And what have you guys done about the actual leather wearing off?
If your leather finish has worn off, i.e. leaving black showing, there is an easy fix. Take your shift **** off, take it to Home Depot, have them make a sample size bottle of their best flat latex paint to match the shift **** leather, and simply paint the areas where the leather is worn. I've done this a couple of years ago and the match is perfect, can't tell where it was repaired.
I know that several will think this is crazy and won't work but don't critize until you've tried. If you don't like it when applying, just wipe it off when it's fresh. What have you got to lose, $3?
Old 02-20-17, 06:18 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I have been using a front Sun Shade regularly for the last 7 years as well.
Yes. Absolutely agree. It's a life saver for the steering wheel and the dash. Not to mention it just keeps the car cooler
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (06-20-23)
Old 02-20-17, 11:54 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default re: Custom Auto Windshield Shade

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Yes. Absolutely agree. It's a life saver for the steering wheel and the dash. Not to mention it just keeps the car cooler
Recently I purchased 3 custom windshield shades for all my cars including the LS430. They are made to fit flush to the windshield and accommodates any sensors that are on the front glass. Looks great and is reasonably priced. Has to be special ordered and takes a few weeks to receive.
Old 06-19-19, 07:11 PM
rvkett
Driver School Candidate

If your leather finish has worn off, i.e. leaving black showing, there is an easy fix. Take your shift **** off, take it to Home Depot, have them make a sample size bottle of their best flat latex paint to match the shift **** leather, and simply paint the areas where the leather is worn. I've done this a couple of years ago and the match is perfect, can't tell where it was repaired.
I know that several will think this is crazy and won't work but don't critize until you've tried. If you don't like it when applying, just wipe it off when it's fresh. What have you got to lose, $3?

Thanks for this tip. My transmission **** isn't the same color as my steering wheel (LX470). My ash tray is though, so I brought that into Home Depot today and they made a color match of it, and I was able to "fix" the worn leather on my steering wheel.
I used a sponge brush, to mimic leather texture as best I could vs a traditional brush.
Old 06-19-19, 11:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rvkett
Thanks for this tip. My transmission **** isn't the same color as my steering wheel (LX470). My ash tray is though, so I brought that into Home Depot today and they made a color match of it, and I was able to "fix" the worn leather on my steering wheel.
I used a sponge brush, to mimic leather texture as best I could vs a traditional brush.
I posted my reply over 2 years ago and it has now been over 4 years since I painted the wheel. You still can't tell where I painted the wheel, still looks perfect.
Old 06-20-19, 07:30 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

I posted my reply over 2 years ago and it has now been over 4 years since I painted the wheel. You still can't tell where I painted the wheel, still looks perfect.
I remember that thread. I was amazed how close the match was. Couldn't tell even a slight difference.
Old 06-20-19, 09:38 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I wonder if there are any steering wheels from other Lexus models that might be a direct fit?
Old 06-20-19, 11:37 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by weldthedif
I wonder if there are any steering wheels from other Lexus models that might be a direct fit?
LX/GX 470 looks to be a close match but i'm not going to be the one to test that theory, enough steering wheel adventures for me, lol
Old 06-21-19, 06:49 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by vredniykot
LX/GX 470 looks to be a close match but i'm not going to be the one to test that theory, enough steering wheel adventures for me, lol

I know for a fact that the LS400 and Lexus LX450 (Landcruiser SUV) steering wheels are interchangeable, including the airbags. The LX450 did not have woodgrain, where the LS400 did however so the look is not the same.
Old 06-22-19, 01:59 PM
rvkett
Driver School Candidate

I've applied 3 coats of Minwax Tung Oil so far. I haven't been wiping the excess oil away in-between coats, I tried to once - the rag stuck to the wheel. I've only allowed 24 hours in-between coats. I've been using steel wool 0000 between coats.
I'm obviously impatient in-between coats. Going to wait a couple of days before I do the 4th.
It is helping out. I feel like I could be using something better than steel wool, especially for the final sanding?
Here is the wheel after the 3 coats, it is much better than before. You can still see the UV damage, but I don't mind as long as its smooth. One spot is particularly bad, seems like there isn't even any wood left.
2000 LX470 188k miles

Last edited by rvkett; 11-11-19 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diplocar (04-20-20)
Old 11-03-21, 09:17 AM
m0davis64
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hold my beer.

Bought last week. This will be fixed, along with dash replacement.

Bought last week. This will be fixed, along with dash replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel clear cracked