LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 02:13 PM
esfourteen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good deal?

I've been on and off about getting an ls430. This one caught my eye. It doesn't have nav which I guess I can live with out. Owner says he's the 2nd owner, no accidents, 90k hasn't been done. He said its a premium, it has cooled/heated front and heated rear. What do you guy think?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2850123749.html
Old 03-29-12, 02:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by esfourteen
I've been on and off about getting an ls430. This one caught my eye. It doesn't have nav which I guess I can live with out. Owner says he's the 2nd owner, no accidents, 90k hasn't been done. He said its a premium, it has cooled/heated front and heated rear. What do you guy think?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2850123749.html
Price is certainly fair, but I would look to negotiate further for the 90K service. Make sure you check all the service records thoroughly as well as getting the car to a Lexus dealership for a thorough going over. The early 04s had some transmission issues, so make sure there is nothing funky with shifting. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 03-29-12, 02:33 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Looks pretty clean. Get a Carfax on it and check for it's maintenance history, accidents, etc.
Old 03-29-12, 03:02 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, that's a premium and the price looks fair. Good luck.
Old 03-29-12, 05:12 PM
esfourteen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Price is certainly fair, but I would look to negotiate further for the 90K service. Make sure you check all the service records thoroughly as well as getting the car to a Lexus dealership for a thorough going over. The early 04s had some transmission issues, so make sure there is nothing funky with shifting. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Oh yes thanks for reminding me about the transmission issues. Any other recalls that should've been addressed for an 04?
Old 03-29-12, 07:20 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

That does look like a nice car with a very fair price. You should create a "my Lexus" account and enter the vin. If you like you can send me the vin and I will pull the service history.... Good luck!

For what it's worth, if I could keep my CL and lose the Nav I would. I prefer the AC vents higher like in that one and to me the Nav/Radio/Climate is a cumbersome system at best. Not too mention the screen resolution.
Old 03-29-12, 07:28 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Read this and you will feel really good about that price...
North Park Lexus (San Antonio) just sold an 04 identical to this one with 91K miles for $20K. I would send the link but it was just removed from their site the other day. They originally had it marked at $23,900 and it was NOT CPO. It was black on black and had aftermarket brakes. I know because they were red and you could see them through the rims. The driver's seat had a pretty good amount of wear on it as well.
Old 03-29-12, 08:08 PM
esfourteen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kg19989
That does look like a nice car with a very fair price. You should create a "my Lexus" account and enter the vin. If you like you can send me the vin and I will pull the service history.... Good luck!

For what it's worth, if I could keep my CL and lose the Nav I would. I prefer the AC vents higher like in that one and to me the Nav/Radio/Climate is a cumbersome system at best. Not too mention the screen resolution.
That's exactly why I really don't care for the nav. Its outdated and I like the vent locations without nav.

Thanks for the offer. My buddy is a tech at lexus so he's going to run the vin for me.

Also going to look for telescopic failure, buddy said he could turn it off for me. Idk if control arms need to be changed at this point in it's life. Hopefully transmission and fuel pump recall we're addressed with the first owner.
Old 03-30-12, 06:43 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Sweet... he should have you covered. If not then your new friends at the forum will!
Old 04-02-12, 08:23 AM
IowaVol
Driver School Candidate

I paid a similiar amount for an '04 CL with 80k. I like the nav feature, but it is outdated.
Old 04-02-12, 04:49 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaVol
I paid a similiar amount for an '04 CL with 80k. I like the nav feature, but it is outdated.
I think I could make the argument that "outdated" is better than the current systems.
1. Navigation is not the thing I use it for. I don't need except for trips and a few times when I am going somewhere new locally. But I can just fine with that as it is. Don't need instant update on where I can shop as I pass thru an area. And I don't have a real "need" to program while driving.
2. I use the Nav screen for the other functions it allows. The Audio function gets the most use, as I like to be able to see the artist and song title as they are played thru my iPod with over 100 complete albums available. I do NOT want the screen to automatically default back the the navigation map after a few minutes.
3. The new joy stick to move thru the screen is a complete disaster. Move the cursor to radio and click, move the cursor to type of audio and click, move the cursor over selection and click, etc, etc. That after a few seconds the screen will default back to the nav screen. If you want to go back and change a selection, start the above scenario over again!!!. Just let me touch the screen or one of the side buttons and be done with it. Ditto for changing climate, etc, etc.
4. Form, fit, and function. Period. Technology for the sake of Technology when it presents a safety hazard to driving a car is crazy. Ask Ford!
5. The biggest problem I will have in replacing this car is trying to avoid a completely unacceptable navigation/computer system. It will be a killer for me. I don't think multi-tasking is something that should be encouraged while driving a vehicle. Keep it simple, stupid.

There, I've vented on this subject and have no apologies!