LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

is an ls430 a good kids car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 02:42 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey let me ask you guys this?

Caddy owner I am starting to see the light, thank you for chiming in. I see what you are saying and you have a real point. I think the was worried about him being like the fast and furious with those hondas. Some of those cars can be made really fast for a song. like 10 second quarter mile fast. But i agree with you, this is probably too much.

Would you recommend a good old 90 something ls400?

are the parts higher than on an acura or honda? I really don't know, never had anytihng break on mine, just put a batery in it. much better than any car i have ever had.

His dad honestly is most worried about safety. But I am starting to agree with you guys this may be too much for him.

Also, speaking of parts, those gm shocks are around 900 each. I can get all 4 shocks for my car for 800 something at sewell. Isn't that cool, that our cars sometimes are much cheaper to fix than gm.

Also, if you guys want skid plates or think the cars need them let me know. and let me know of any trouble spots and i will be sure to protect them. I really don't know what they are, but I work with aluminum or ABS. What ever you want. Abs would be half the cost for material. I am guessing just 1/8 inch is enough but we will have to keep it away from anything hot like headers and so forth, cause it will melt

Also, yea, every kid that is over at that house has a coffee can size exhaust poking out the back that I swear is loader than open headers. the cars sound like a bung of load bee's.

Last edited by scottgolf; 01-08-12 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 04:52 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

<Crazy grandpa hat on> Go for the LS!

<Responsible parent hat on> Each of my three adult sons who drive had an accident with their first car within a couple years of getting their license. A fairly late model, domestic midsize car with up-to-date safety equipment is the most sensible first car. If they are involved in a serious accident, there is sufficient (and working) modern airbags, etc. to protect them. If they are involved in a minor accident, repair costs are usually less and available shops to work on the car, especially in the midwest, is greater.

Accidents by my sons:

- Son with 02 Chevy S10 pickup, bought new, drove a lot of miles and hydroplaned off the freeway heading back to his Marine base after leave. He neglected to replace his worn tires. Truck had minor front and underside damage.

- Son with 85 Lincoln Towncar hit a deer and had so many breakdowns that he eventually parked the car. He wrapped his next car, a VW Jetta, around a tree in a one-car DUI accident which he barely survived.

- Son with a stock, pristine 96 Honda Del Sol slid off the road on ice and smacked a tree with the rear quarter enough to total the car. That was within 6 months of getting his license.
Old 01-08-12, 08:51 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'll add to the carnage - first daughter within a year of new license totaled her 1999 4Runner - another teen driver in a Toyota van made an oncoming left in front of her at night and mine hit her square in the sliding passenger door...not her fault but likely could have been avoided by a more more mature driver paying better attention.

Second daughter within a year of new license, fell asleep while driving and hit a wall at 20mph - $3000 damage to front end of her 2003 Ford Mustang. I had already replaced two wheel and tires from her hitting the curb while driving.

Third daughter has had no less than 5 minor fender bender accidents in the first 2-3 years of driving - I refer to her as Captain Crunch - every single panel on her 2005 Honda Civic has been repaired and painted with the sole exception of the roof (so far). She is now 22, last fall she drove the car off road my mistake and broke a motor mount and tore a hole in the exhaust pipe so even the bottom of her car has been crashed/bent.
Old 01-08-12, 10:49 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking as a not too long ago teen (I'm 22 now) who loves cars, I am willing to bet that he will drive it like he stole it. I know I certainly did in high school. I would probably suggest something front or all wheel drive as they're much easier to handle at the limit of grip for newer drivers. I had a 1997 Lincoln Continental and drove it like a race car, learned a lot about limit of grip and such..... Afterwards, I had RWD, learned manual (2 BMWs before the Lexus) and got into drifting and still drove like my pants were on fire from time to time. I've definitely calmed down a lot nowadays, but that occasional speed urge is definitely still there. In a nutshell, I think it's pretty much inevitable that the kid will be crazy for the first few yrs, getting him something slow and bad-handling (like my Lincoln) is the way to go.
Old 01-09-12, 09:06 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Really Guys????

Bunch-O-Haters.

Let me just pour some personal opinion on all of you. THIS KID IS SPOILED GET OVER IT. ok now that thats over with. I like all of you owned a $900 90' Eclipse with 3 diff wheels when i got my first car. Im not 25 and have owned my LS430 for almost a year. This kid is obviously going to get a great car because his parents can afford it. Get over it and move on.

I could not be any prouder that this kid is getting an LS430. It is a great car, extremely reliable, safe and obviously if his parents are buying him one as his first car they can afford the repairs. As an LS430 owner on the younger side of the market its great to see a young kid who is sorounded with Ricers wanting an LS. Should he get an older model? sure... but whats the point. so everyone on here can feel better about a 15yr old owning their car. I live in LA now... try driving to work next to a 17 yr old driving the new 4 door porsche and then complain. Its an LS people. Sure its quick but we all know it doesnt move like a coupe or hatch.

Happy for him. Hope he treats the car well. And if not i dnt really care... its his parents money not mine.
Old 01-09-12, 09:49 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think most of the folks with other suggestions have no hate toward the parent considering the LS, we have just been down that road before with our own kids and realize that low cost and less power is prudent for new drivers. However, I remember test driving a 1978 MB 240d with a stick for one of my sons. Even I had to admit it had too little power and was a hazard pulling out into traffic.
Old 01-09-12, 05:03 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousLS
Really Guys????

Bunch-O-Haters.
The question was, is an LS430 a good kid's car? The answer is, "No, not really." If you came in here hoping to reaffirm your own opinion, sorry to disappoint you.
Old 01-09-12, 05:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Speaking as a not too long ago teen (I'm 22 now) who loves cars, I am willing to bet that he will drive it like he stole it. I know I certainly did in high school. I would probably suggest something front or all wheel drive as they're much easier to handle at the limit of grip for newer drivers. I had a 1997 Lincoln Continental and drove it like a race car, learned a lot about limit of grip and such..... Afterwards, I had RWD, learned manual (2 BMWs before the Lexus) and got into drifting and still drove like my pants were on fire from time to time. I've definitely calmed down a lot nowadays, but that occasional speed urge is definitely still there. In a nutshell, I think it's pretty much inevitable that the kid will be crazy for the first few yrs, getting him something slow and bad-handling (like my Lincoln) is the way to go.
I have to agree, he will probably drive it hard.
I know when I first started off (my first car, and current car RX300), I would quite literally redline every chance I was given. That ended when the gas prices soared, especially since I wasn't paying for the gas at that time, I felt bad making my parents pay for gas which could have been used more efficiently. LOL
I still occasionally drive it like I stole it, but much less frequently. I don't think it's a terrible idea of him getting an LS. It's safe, and reliable. It may be fast, but it's safer then going just as fast in a smaller, less safe civic.
Old 01-09-12, 07:20 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
..... Also, if you guys want skid plates or think the cars need them let me know. and let me know of any trouble spots and i will be sure to protect them. I really don't know what they are, but I work with aluminum or ABS.
N0 one here wants skid plates ! Just you asking this makes me believe you are much younger than you claim.

Asking us what your neighbour should buy for his son is also rediculous, since we know nothing about them ! And why care about what we think ?

Nothing we have pointed out to you in this thread would be a surprise to any parent, or any person who actually owned and drives an LS430.

I think you are dreaming about owning an LS when you get your licence, lol I may be wrong, but thats what it looks like. Carry on, we are all here for fun.
Old 01-09-12, 09:21 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

stu, sorry to hear you don't like your neighbors. I am blessed to live in one of forbes magazines top 11 zipcodes,

hold on, why wouldn't you wan't skid pans to protect your cars? do you want to end up like that guy in the ls400 that broke his engine block on a manhole cover? I still think that would have been hilarious to see. Why would skidpans be something you wouldn't want, they would probably make the car even more aerodynamic. and adding a little weight to the car shouldn't be a big deal. I can make them look nice, like they are factory with nice edges and hardware. We could even probably figure out a way to run lights through them, or have nice elongated holes for lights to shine through.

I seriously so badly want to be 15 again. I had things much better then than I do now. My neighbor ended up buying a volkswagon for his son. Not a beatte, but I don't know what they are called.

I am sure he will have a coffee ccan size exaust on it in a week.

I did have a 72 beetle for my first car, made a baja bug out of it and then I got a 66 gto with a mucie m22 rock crusher, and in 1987 I only had to cough up 3500 bucks for it. Then on to 2 mustangs 5.0 5speed and an svo that only had 8k miles.

Edit: I can also vacuum form various thermoplastics, So like if we needed to make the skid pans so they mold around what ever is under the ls. To be honest I don't think I have ever been under mine,

Also, here are pics of my car I took right after purchase. Its a cpo 05 premium it had 40k on it, and was from texas with the original owner being a 100 lbs. woman. I paid 25..5k for it. Best car I have ever owned.
Attached Thumbnails is an ls430 a good kids car?-dsc00728.jpg   is an ls430 a good kids car?-dsc00737.jpg   is an ls430 a good kids car?-dsc00741.jpg   is an ls430 a good kids car?-dsc00744.jpg  

Last edited by scottgolf; 01-09-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:44 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Oh wait stu, I see you are canadian. I freaking LOVE Rush. Also, just went to see the trailerpark boys a couple of months ago. Also, as a kid, SCTV was so cool, i used to stay up and watch it.

I also get that canadians keep to themselves. One of my best friends is canadian. Only lived here about 5 years or so. Generally in the midwest USA we spend lots of time with our neighbors. I honestly don't know why sometimes. It's weird because some of them are people we wouldnt have much in common with, but because they live by us its like family or something. This also sucks because everybody knows everything about everybody. I can't even fart and everyone knows about it. Typical midwest.
Old 01-09-12, 10:21 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

OK , you'll be fine here without me, unsubscribed to this thread, Carry on scottgolf !
Old 01-09-12, 11:16 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Stu, I didn't mean any offense, I wish you would answer my questions. I am totally serious about not meaning to insult you. You know something else,

this would be really hard to keep clean because it would be clear and look like glass, but if you have like a showcar or something, I could make them out of lexan, aka polycarbonate. or just plain old clear acrylic. but it would be flame polished to look like glass.
Old 01-10-12, 03:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think he'll be modding that Volkswagen, he won't have any money left after having to repair it every day.
Old 01-24-12, 11:15 AM
GSP02LS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about this?

94 Sentra

2 door stick shift with AC with rolldown windows.

2995$

the 15 year olds reply should be ...............

"thanks dad!"

and that's the only acceptable reply.
Attached Thumbnails is an ls430 a good kids car?-17151aa6-8aa2-410c-adb1-7fed01c3fb83_1.jpg  

Quick Reply: is an ls430 a good kids car?