LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation DVD Reader fix? 2002 LS-430

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 07:51 AM
koesterjv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation DVD Reader fix? 2002 LS-430

About a month ago I started the car and got an error message on the navigation screen. After researching threads that exhibited my issue, I came to the conclusion the DVD Reader from the trunk was bad. Does anyone have any experience in fixing these? They're almost $1000 on ebay!!! I hate to go Garmin
Old 12-12-11, 08:10 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem, seems the laser is burnt out in the Nav unit. Several hundred bucks for a used one on ebay, but can't bite the bullet when my iPhone does the job. It would be nice to be able to fix it myself...
Old 12-12-11, 08:10 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

try unplugging the unit and plugging it back in, sometimes this fixes it
Old 12-12-11, 09:10 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Does it happen at start up? I noticed when I start my car and wait a few seconds for the nav unit to boot up before hitting the "I agree" the problem does not appear. i would get the disk error occassionally when I started the car and hit the button immediately.
Old 12-12-11, 10:30 AM
koesterjv
Driver School Candidate

Yes it happens at start up. If I press the agree button immediately or after some time has lapsed the same issue occurs. I've taken the reader out of the car and removed the housing from the reader. I read that the brass rod that the laser moved back and forth on sometimes gets stiff and needs to be greased. I don't have the knowledge to do this. I'd imagine a little WD40 is NOT recommended. Given the regularity of this issue, I can't believe there isn't someone who can button up whatever is causing the issue.
Old 12-12-11, 07:40 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a thread on here somewhere where you can ship the nav unit and they will fix it. Mines been errored up for like 2 years all of a sudden 2 days ago its been workin fine lol. I don't think they like warm weather!!
Old 12-13-11, 06:14 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
Its a thread on here somewhere where you can ship the nav unit and they will fix it. Mines been errored up for like 2 years all of a sudden 2 days ago its been workin fine lol. I don't think they like warm weather!!
Well Merry Christmas! I sure hope to hell that happens to mine too...
Old 12-13-11, 06:48 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it seems that this is a common issue with the nav units. I sure Hope lexus gave an updated part to my 05, otherwise I might wind up experiencing this issue too. i do remember about 6 months ago, when my friend had this problem, a google search popped up a place that would fix the reader to the tune of 400.00. Instead, he hijacked my garmin that I had in my Maxima.....Eh, that's what friends are for I guess. LOL..
Old 12-14-11, 09:48 AM
koesterjv
Driver School Candidate

Well, in that case I'm going to install the reader tonight! Its been in dining room for a few months. The day I got the error message for the first time the temperature was over 90 degrees. I was getting tired of seeing the error message. By removing the unit all Nav features are disabled, however climate and audio still work via the screen.
Old 01-20-12, 11:08 AM
justunme
Driver School Candidate

I have had the error for several moths. I found only 2 places on the internet for places that fix these. One east coast and one west coast. I sent it east coast. They told me it was the laser and that they didn't know how long it was going to take to get the replacement in. A week later it was done. Except the unit didn't work at all when I received it back. After a shipping round trip back to the shop I re-installed it only to have the same disk reading error occur. They refunded my cost, but I ate the shipping. I called the West Coast place and he stated it was most likely the board, $750. I posted under classified for a WTB a broken one figuring I would try the PC board change. Good luck.
Old 01-14-15, 08:16 AM
chs63cb
Driver School Candidate

Default partial solution

Originally Posted by koesterjv
About a month ago I started the car and got an error message on the navigation screen. After researching threads that exhibited my issue, I came to the conclusion the DVD Reader from the trunk was bad. Does anyone have any experience in fixing these? They're almost $1000 on ebay!!! I hate to go Garmin
Mine started doing this about six months ago. For the first five I would unbolt the unit, open the entry and eject the DVD ( the key has to be in and on) . With the disk out I would wipe with cloth and spray cold air in slit. Put disk back in, close the slide and place unit back in place. It would then work two to four weeks. at which time I repeat the process. Stopped securing the bolts after the third time. It may work for awhile, especially if it is dust.

As of last two weeks this does not work either. My guess is laser has gone boom.