LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 probably saved my life today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 12:14 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LS430 probably saved my life today...

Was driving on I-95 this afternoon. Construction wound up closing down the right hand lane a quarter mile up the raod, but it wasn't visible due to the grading of the road. People are flying at 65-80mph. All of the sudden, out of nowhere it goes from 80mph to a freaking parking lot I hit the brakes, but did not stomp on them to the floor, and the calipers bit those rotors with such force that I felt my brain and all other organs shift in my body. I avoided rear ending the car in front of me with room to spare and without any screeching from the tires and and chatter from the brakes.

To say I was impressed with how the braking system handled the panic stop is an understatement. I'm almost certain that if I was in my other car, the outcome may not have been the same. The elctronic brake assist and distribution must have done their thing and I very grateful. I nearly had a heart attack and felt that faint feeling for those 2-3 seconds of "oh $h!t, I'm going to die" but Lexie came through like a guardian angel.

I can't imagine really needing more stopping power unless tracking the car, but for everyday driving and the occasional panic stop, I have to say the LS430's brakes get the job done, and then some.

Maybe those Michilen Primacies also played a key role too. Either way ,love my car even more after this......

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-15-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 12:34 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel you I had the exact situation on i695 couple months back.
Old 10-15-11, 01:37 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear that you and the car came through that OK. However, your butt is probably pinched so tightly it may take a couple days to unclench.
Old 10-15-11, 01:37 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

you are lucky you didnt have someone on your butt when this happend.
Old 10-15-11, 01:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

They tried to get me on 495 about an hour and a half ago with nearly the same situation but minus about a third of the life threatening experience. The LS430 has ver nice brakes for a big sedan, or at least mine and urs . Glad u and the car r okay.
Old 10-15-11, 01:58 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
you are lucky you didnt have someone on your butt when this happend.
I thought exactly the same thing.
Old 10-15-11, 02:59 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You wanna here as story. About 15 years ago I was driving north with my 96 Bonneville doing things I should not have been doing on rainey freezy roads in St. Paul Minnesota. I look up and as you said it is a sea of red tail lights at a stop light. I did not have time to slow down it happened all too fast. I split the 3 rows of stopped/stopping cars down the middle at like 45 MPH plus. How I did not take out even my or the next guys mirror at least, only God will know and must have been on my side, yet alone getting or T boning someone in the east west lane. I just started shaking as I passed thru the intersection with not a sole behind me in shock.

Not proud a Terrible terrible day/driving I have not had an accident in 30 years but that one would have made USA today.
Old 10-15-11, 03:01 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Yet alone a pretty knarly police report.
Old 10-15-11, 03:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I was on a four lane, in a curve, traveling at a stupid speed when I hit something in the road which caused the rear passenger side tire to explode. This threw the car hard to the right as that was the side the exploding tire was on and the curve was shifting the weight of the car in that direction. The four lane has almost no shoulder in that area which lead to the wheel going off the road. In an instant the systems help me straighten the car's path of travel and retracted the seatbelt. When I got the car stopped, in a driveway far off the road, all that was left of the tire was the sidewalls, the tread part of the tire had been completely blown off. I the safety systems of the car saved my life or at least saved me a lot of headache. I should not have been traveling at the speed I was so I will call idiot proof as well as safe.
Old 10-15-11, 05:50 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to thread steal but... Coming out of my neighborhood last night outta nowhere a black cat darts out (it was Friday the 14th mind you). I'm going like 15 or 20 mph. I jam on the brakes, the car stops, I see the cat disappear under the front of the car. I figure it's toast. Miraculously the next thing I see is the cat bouncing up in front of the car, lands, and the sprints off into the bushes. I couldn't find the cat to know, but hope its okay. Maybe not as dramatic or "butt clenching" as your experience but I'm sure the cat was glad I was driving an LS
Old 10-15-11, 06:24 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

No problem. I'm sure people would like to hear about others experiences with the LS.
Old 10-15-11, 06:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

When I first saw the header I was thinking of crinkled car and you were saved due to the safety equipment. Glad the brakes and your attention avoided a messy encounter.
Old 10-15-11, 09:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm glad you made it out of there alright. The LS has always had some very impressive brakes. If it were any other car, you may not have been so lucky.
Old 10-16-11, 02:08 AM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the LS has a surprising amount of braking power available. I've never had to suddenly stomp on the brakes all the way, but I'm always surprised at just how quickly the car stops when depressing the brake pedal just 3/4 of the way. The LS is a very heavy car too.

It's also a bit reassuring that PCS is there too in the event you actually end up hitting something.
Old 10-16-11, 06:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dailow
I

It's also a bit reassuring that PCS is there too in the event you actually end up hitting something.
for some of us its reassuring. not sure what percentage of LS430's came with pcs but i know it is not that many at all. i'm not sure if mines has ever kicked in or not though luckily,, {touch wood}

Quick Reply: LS430 probably saved my life today...