LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone use BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Tires on their LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 04:20 AM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Tires on their LS?

I need to change the tires on my LS430. I've used these tires a number of times on previous car (5 series bmw) with good success. I just don't know how they'd do on the LS. Right now I've Bridgestone Turanza Serenity as that came with the car. They look almost brand new but very noisy (despite their name), so much so I want to change them out. The g-Force Sport tire has always be a value leader with great price, performance and comfort for me, but I just don't know how the LS430 will react to it.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Old 10-06-11, 05:28 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

nothing? No one?
Old 10-06-11, 06:17 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about those tires, but many will say that the Michelin MXV4 is a match made in heaven with the LS. (I'm one of them)
Old 10-06-11, 08:00 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Only thing close was a set of goodrich TA's I had on another care. Did not balance well. I talked to the lead Yota tech at my last oil change. He felt hands down Michelin where the best name in tires, not the cheapest though. Ya want a cheap tire check out the deals on Good Year The Comfortrad touring with the 160 dollar rebate.
Old 10-07-11, 11:16 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have g-Force on mine, the tires are noisy after about 10K miles. Don't use it on the LS.
Old 10-08-11, 12:49 AM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

I hear ya about those Michelins. Had 4 on the car I just traded in for the LS43, a Infiniti M35. they were silent and good. I can't believe how ill suited the brigestones are to this car. may just run the till I save for the good ones. I have a set of Harmony series Michelin on another LS we have that are super.
Old 10-16-11, 08:38 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

FWIW... I emailed Bridgestone and told them the problem. I got a reply two days later with an 800 number for their customer service. those guys told me to take the car to their company store which I did. Those guys show me the very, very slight cupping on the front tires. Apparently enough though to make the howling noise evident while driving. Of course their recommended fix was a seriously good discount on a new set of tires PLUS a new set of shocks at all four corners. I ask him if it would need alignment too and he said 'oh yeah-that too' and added it in. There solution totaled $2595.00 with tax. of course I said I'd 'think' about it then I ask the guy what did he think would happen if I just rotated the tires. He said the noise would probably go away! Bingo, $16.79 later the car is pretty darn quiet. Amazing huh. He didn't even push for the alignment job as he already said the problem was the shocks. From what I have read here and elsewhere, our shocks last a whole lot longer then 104,000 miles .

I'll also be up to my regular alignment shop this week to get that checked as its probably the real culprit.

So no worries about the Bridgestone tires, they're probably great tires. Corporate handled thing perfectly too. The local shop gets an 'A' for a great discount price to replace all four but an 'F' for greed trying to get such a big job out of me. I would have been satisfied if the tire replacement and shocks were just a suggestion of further things to do but the recommendation was to rotate and align the wheels for now and see. I think those guys thought I fell off a turnip truck.

Thought I'd let you all know the outcome, also wanting to credit Bridgestone.
Old 10-17-11, 11:14 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Lenny, I have like 300 miles now up to Lambeaeu and down to work to day and The GY Comfortred Tourings can be had for 440.00 after rebate with tax included in a 225/55/17 size November 2(family sale) They are as smooth and quiet than my primacy H's considering they are a V rated tire and handle/steer way better. I hear a little road noise on some concrete but on asphalt silent. I hear the side treadblocks squeek a lil bit during harder cornering but I am pushing it at sppeds the primacies would not touch. Just a thought they have a 70 k warrrantee for a v rated tire.
Old 10-17-11, 02:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

All the national brand tire stores (along with the national tire and battery places) are the absolute worst places to have your car worked on. Management at these places is often run on a bonus commission system and the line workers are staffed by minimum wage very low skill techs - the worst possible combination. Avoid at all costs. I have heard that Discount tire is run above board so I'd buy tires there but not have actual repair work done.