LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Depreciation comparison, 04 RX 330 VS LS 430...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 12:33 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Like the LX and RX, the GX is also a great example of retaining it's value better than the LS. It's all about supply and demand. I think there is still a huge demand for BIG SUVs, even his our jump in gas prices. They're just a great fit for a majority of American's, hence the higher residual value. Unlike the LS, these SUVs are multi-purpose vehicles. They can tote people around, pull a trailer, go off-road, and allow you to carry lots of crap. As a result, they're a great well-rounded ride. I'm sure many of us LS owners will eventually buy one of these 3, or already have owned one or more of them.

Personally, I had an RX for a few years too. My wife has informed me multiple times that she wants the GX or LX. For now, we're gonna keep the Toyota Sienna
Old 04-27-11, 03:55 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=airtime;6344405]I think while the math is correct, the type of cars and its ways of depreciation differs. Higher price cars will most likely depreciate more than lower cost cars in general."

Agree. In fact, there's probably less demand for USED high end luxury cars relative to used SUV's in that a fairly large percentage of luxury car buyers feel the need to have something NEW, regardless of price in that whatever they pay will not affect their lifestyle one iota. A new luxury car in the driveway is a status symbol, thus buying a used luxury car is not a consideration for them.

Then there's those of us like (I would assume) most of us in the CL Forum who realize that letting someone else take the inevitable heavy new car depreciation hit is the most judicious way to own one (or more) of these incredible owner driven limousines.
Old 04-27-11, 04:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think one thing we all have on this forum is used cars cause we are value conciouse/cheap!!
Old 04-27-11, 05:02 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I think one thing we all have on this forum is used cars cause we are value conciouse/cheap!!
Value conscious - Yep !
Cheap - Nah ...
Interested in getting the most bang for your buck - You bet !
Old 04-27-11, 07:18 PM
gt1209
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
^Yup! If we look at this from a pure numbers standpoint, there really isn't any reason to buy anything other than the LS430 if you're in the market for a flagship luxo sedan from that era (early-mid 2000s). The LS430 is cheaper than its competitors (save the the VW Phaeton and Jag XJ8, as they seem to cost a similar amount) by at least $5k, usually $10-15k if you shop for the same yr/mileage. The competitors I have in mind are the BMW E65 7 series, Mercedes W220 S-class, Audi A8, Jag XJ8, and VW Phaeton.
I have to agree with you. When I did my research on used flagship sedan I only looked at the LS430, RL, and Q45 because I was turned off by the reliability of 7 series/S-Class/A8/XJ8.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
GENERALLY speaking, anything over 30k is bad depreciation.
and if it's german, it's even worse, throw in amg or//M, oh boy
That gives me an idea of what to research next - which vehicle between $50K - $120K holds its value the best.

The thought of owning used performance cars scares me - don't know how badly they were abused. That's probably one of the reasons that they don't hold their value well.

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Like the LX and RX, the GX is also a great example of retaining it's value better than the LS. It's all about supply and demand. I think there is still a huge demand for BIG SUVs, even his our jump in gas prices. They're just a great fit for a majority of American's, hence the higher residual value. Unlike the LS, these SUVs are multi-purpose vehicles. They can tote people around, pull a trailer, go off-road, and allow you to carry lots of crap. As a result, they're a great well-rounded ride. I'm sure many of us LS owners will eventually buy one of these 3, or already have owned one or more of them.

Personally, I had an RX for a few years too. My wife has informed me multiple times that she wants the GX or LX. For now, we're gonna keep the Toyota Sienna
I have to agree with you. That's one of the reasons why my wife wants a Pilot.

Unlike most people, I can live without an SUV. When I need to haul something from Costco or Home Depot that couldn't fit in my Avalon, I just borrow/rent a truck for $40 a day. I'm also open to the idea of renting an SUV for a week when I'm on vacation.

Originally Posted by mewhee

Agree. In fact, there's probably less demand for USED high end luxury cars relative to used SUV's in that a fairly large percentage of luxury car buyers feel the need to have something NEW, regardless of price in that whatever they pay will not affect their lifestyle one iota. A new luxury car in the driveway is a status symbol, thus buying a used luxury car is not a consideration for them.

Then there's those of us like (I would assume) most of us in the CL Forum who realize that letting someone else take the inevitable heavy new car depreciation hit is the most judicious way to own one (or more) of these incredible owner driven limousines.
Yes I love value. I can fix minor car problems and know people who would charge me $50/hr for those big ticket items that I don't know how to do or fix (but I'm willing to learn). New car warranty just doesn't attract me anymore. I'm looking forward to own an LS in the future.

------------------------------------------------

Man this forum is awesome!
Old 04-27-11, 11:02 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I think one thing we all have on this forum is used cars cause we are value conscious/cheap!!
Speak for yourself mate. My LS cost me $45k as a six year old used car with 100k km on it,which is about double what you guys pay for essentially the same thing and I don't feel ripped off in any way.
I've bought brand new cars off of the lot before,and didn't feel bad about that either,as I was buying what I needed at the time.

I don't buy cheap knock-off parts and convince myself that there's no difference to save a few dollars,I don't wait for stuff to come up second hand that I need now,and I don't haggle. If I feel the price is fair,I pay it. If I don't,I either don't buy then and there,or I suck it up and take the hit because it's something I want now and trade a possible best price later and elsewhere for instant gratification. end of story.

If you're more concerned with depreciation and costs over X number of years than fulfilling your needs,I can't see how any purchase is going to satisfy you.
I think people should consider their own enjoyment of the asset a little more when deciding what to buy.
What are you likely to be more happy with? The car you WANT to drive each day that isn't worth quite as much in 5years time as the one you can't stand driving,but holds it's value better?

I buy cars based on these factors (in order):
Suitability for purpose
Driving potential
Reliability
Cost

I'm 36 and have owned almost 20 cars. All but three give me fond memories.
Life's too short to be tight and miserable.

Justin...
Old 04-28-11, 05:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I will admit to being called cheap, tightwad, etc by various family members in the past (mostly daughters : ) sometimes in jest and sometime not.

I applaud the OP for looking at depreciation numbers and cost of ownership on a purchase he is considering. I think most us are saying the same thing - many folks on the forum want to be informed, smart buyers of high value - not cheapskates. That's one of the reasons we use the forum to begin with. As an example I am interested in buying a sports car in next year or two - so I have been reading the SLK and SC430 forums to educate myself on the charateristics/pros/cons and used car prices on both cars by its users.

Nobody buying an LS430 is buying it because its an econo-box and low cost ride. If we wanted high value, lowest cost ride we'd all be on the Camry or Accord forums.

I use financial analysis and spreadsheet regularly both for work and home finances. But I also very much enjoy my life and in general have way more stuff than I need. I just always want to do my homework to insure that when it comes to buying a high $ item, or making a financial investment that I am making a highly informed, educated decision, and I am not the "sucker at the table".

I use spreadsheets and analysis in order to educate myself and to be a smart, value oriented buyer , not a "cheap" buyer. By doing so, I am able to own and drive a high end luxury car at maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the total cost of the average driver of the same car.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-28-11 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-28-11, 06:04 AM
gt1209
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fergo308

If you're more concerned with depreciation and costs over X number of years than fulfilling your needs,I can't see how any purchase is going to satisfy you.
I think people should consider their own enjoyment of the asset a little more when deciding what to buy.
What are you likely to be more happy with? The car you WANT to drive each day that isn't worth quite as much in 5years time as the one you can't stand driving,but holds it's value better?

I buy cars based on these factors (in order):
Suitability for purpose
Driving potential
Reliability
Cost

I'm 36 and have owned almost 20 cars. All but three give me fond memories.
Life's too short to be tight and miserable.

Justin...
I think you got confused with my intention. My intention is to find out "What's the best car that is suitable for me at $17K?" and not "What's the best car that would depreciate the least after I buy it for $17K?" Your statement would be true if I had asked for the latter in my post.

Half of my enjoyment isn't about driving the car, it's about finding the right car. The right car for me is a reliable luxury value car, which limits my field down to used Lexus/Acura/Infinity luxury cars.

My deciding factors would be:

1. Value - What's the best bang for my buck? LS due to my research shown in the previous posts.
2. Reliability - almost as important as value. Almost all Lexus vehicles.
3. Suitability for purpose. Sedan > SUV > Coupe.
4. Comfort. LS > all.
5. Driving potential. IS/GS > LS.

Driving a luxury or performance car doesn't not equate to happiness. In fact, it's a pretty small part of the equation. I am one of those who would prefer to limit my vehicle budget and put that money toward something else that the whole family can enjoy. This goes back to my value concept - what's the best bang for the buck when it comes to my/my family's happiness?

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I applaud the OP for looking at depreciation numbers and cost of ownership on a purchase he is considering. I think most us are saying the same thing - many folks on the forum want to be informed, smart buyers of high value - not cheapskates. That's one of the reasons we use the forum to begin with. As an example I am interested in buying a sports car in next year or two - so I have been reading the SLK and SC430 forums to educate myself on the charateristics/pros/cons and used car prices on both cars by its users.
Yes I'm with you 100% ; all I want to do is to finish my research beforehand and make an informed decision when the time comes. And so far everything that I've found indicates that a used clean LS is a great buy. I really couldn't find a better value car out there.
Old 04-28-11, 12:04 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a more apples to apples comparison, comparing the GX470 to the LS430 would be a fairer comparison since they're both V8's and closer in interior size for the passenger areas than the RX... Also, having owned two GX470's (04 & 08), an RX400h (07), an LS400 (91) and an LS430 (05), I can tell you that IMHO the GX and LS build quality is far superior to the RX... Both the GX and LS are made in Tahara, JP... The RX 400 hybrid/330/350 come from a couple of different sources... I only kept the RX400h for about a year (bought new) due to quality issues. I was constantly comparing it to the GX for the year I had it. It didn't hold a candle to it...

Jim