LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

why do people lower the 430?

Old 07-05-13, 01:15 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexoRoller
YES!!! ScottGolf, (though I was the only one who feels this way)... I'm with you bro.... This is one of the best riding luxury cars ever massed produced, with suburb handling for a car of its size and I see it ruined by slamming and ramming it all the time. Then they ride like a wagon, but I'm sure it handles like an IS300, huh?

Nah, if wanted that, I would just get and IS300. Maybe nicer 18-20 inch rims, that's about all I will ever do to my 430 in respect to wheels/ suspension. Anything else takes away from the LS as the superior full size luxury car. IN MY OPINION.
IS300s handle like ***...

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so here's mine; stock cars suck. I've played with everything from boosted Hondas to twin-turbo Lamborghini Gallardos. I have yet to find a car that made me go, "I'll keep this stock," and I don't plan on it.

Also, whoever said Miatas are low and handle well from the factory, go to the track and run against a SCCA-prepped Miata.

I'll be most likely adding a 430 for my new daily since both my LS400s have become cars I don't want to daily anymore. It'll be slammed to the ground with some silly-wide wheels like usual. Will probably do air though so it stays a daily.
Old 08-12-15, 09:12 PM
lexfive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
It may be a language thing, but this made me chuckle. Are you referring to the large wheels, fat lips, skinny tires, or all of the above? I'm not a fan of wheels larger than 19" on these cars. I also think lowering a car to the point of having noticeably askew rear camber is going too far.

That said, I think it's great that folks have a creative interest in the car. It certainly makes the forum a more diverse and interesting place. Otherwise, it would just be a small number of us old farts (and old-farts at heart) talking about creaking windows and dealer service costs.
Yeah I'm with you on that I haven't bought I decided to put 20's on my gs350 looks nice but the ride is not the same of course. I can deal with it for now. Want be lowering it of course. Only drive it on weekends so I can deal with it until I decide to sale them. Not until I get my stock wheels chrome plated. my kids think it's midlife crisis lol!
Old 04-24-16, 08:10 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stemirra
Saddle wald weds kranze vishunu I still have absolutely no idea what these words mean and have NEVER EVER EVEN ONCE seen a lowered LS430 that looked better lowered or with big aftermarket rims/low profile tires than factory (in fact the only place I have ever seen them is here on this site, never in person). I always feel sorry for the car and think to myself what a shame that was once such a nice car. I know I can't be alone here with this thought. Doing this absolutley lessens the handling, quietness and comfort of the car and I can not think of any other major $$$ investment that you can make to a car that in the end will never increase it's value or in fact severely limits it's marketability making such a wonderful car appeal to so few in the market for one if it is ever to be resold). That being said to each his own and you must do what makes YOU happy. I just don't get it though.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Completely agree, stemirra! I have looked through the gallery photos, which are dominated by modded LSes, and have not come across one that I would prefer over stock. I too feel a sense of pity for the modded car and lament the fact that the pool of used, stock LSes is dwindling. I definitely have become more informed and educated about the aftermarket scene and what is possible for a car, and I do give owners credit for great imagination, but I still prefer our stock LS430 with stock 18s. The only aftermarket mod I would make is probably window tinting and even with that I am afraid of going too dark that it compromises the classiness and refinement of the LS -- primarily I just want the tint for extra shade and sun protection for our daughter and the leather.
Old 04-24-16, 10:39 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I lower all my cars. Even my prius. Not all of them were slammed to the ground. But sometimes an inch or two makes a big difference in look/style and handling. Depending on how low you go, but you don't always have to sacrifice ride comfort. I just dropped my 04 LS on tanabe NF210 and it looks so much better. And I swear it rides just like stock.
Old 04-24-16, 10:43 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Name:  image_zpsmpndigma.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  151.6 KB

Here's how my car sits. Reduced the wheel gap but not slammed. Rides like stock.

However. If I did not have a 1yr old daughter, I'd slam it on 20s because it looks awesome.

Last edited by yoitskenn; 04-24-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 11:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn

Here's how my car sits. Reduced the wheel gap but not slammed. Rides like stock.

However. If I did not have a 1yr old daughter, I'd slam it on 20s because it looks awesome.

Your silver LS still looks clean, yoitskenn, and the lowered stance has a very S-class-like profile to me. Ours is Mercury Silver too. I used to put coilovers on our 1999 Integra years ago and had decals, air intakes, cat-back, and almost dropped in a supercharger too on that car. It was a memorable period in my youth but I have grown more old-school in my age and can now understand my father's objections better 20 years later, lol.

What percentage is your tint front/rear? We're only allowed 70% in the fronts in California. I would like to keep the tint consistent across all windows but 70% all around would be pointless.

Our daughter is 4. My parents come from humble beginnings and I have the utmost respect for the sacrifices they've endured to provide a better future for us. It is amazing to me that our daughter, and yours, are privileged enough to ride in Lexus's flagship at such a young age. For us, it was made possible by the hard work of generations before us. Sorry, didn't mean to time travel and get so nostalgic.

P.S. Just realized you're in NorCal. Have you had any incidents with law enforcement about your tint? We're in Sacramento.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 04-24-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 11:05 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

I bought the car like that but my guess would be 20% rear and 35% front. I like the same tint level front to back but I haven't had a chance to redo the tint yet.
Old 04-24-16, 04:25 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

All my cars have 35% all around

Never had issues in nor cal or SoCal

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Your silver LS still looks clean, yoitskenn, and the lowered stance has a very S-class-like profile to me. Ours is Mercury Silver too. I used to put coilovers on our 1999 Integra years ago and had decals, air intakes, cat-back, and almost dropped in a supercharger too on that car. It was a memorable period in my youth but I have grown more old-school in my age and can now understand my father's objections better 20 years later, lol.

What percentage is your tint front/rear? We're only allowed 70% in the fronts in California. I would like to keep the tint consistent across all windows but 70% all around would be pointless.

Our daughter is 4. My parents come from humble beginnings and I have the utmost respect for the sacrifices they've endured to provide a better future for us. It is amazing to me that our daughter, and yours, are privileged enough to ride in Lexus's flagship at such a young age. For us, it was made possible by the hard work of generations before us. Sorry, didn't mean to time travel and get so nostalgic.

P.S. Just realized you're in NorCal. Have you had any incidents with law enforcement about your tint? We're in Sacramento.
Attached Thumbnails why do people lower the 430?-image.jpeg  
Old 04-24-16, 05:06 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Almost every car down in SoCal has tinted front windows just because it's so damn hot there. Most cops won't care unless you give them a reason.

10 years ago I got pulled over street racing in the morning in my RSX and I got pulled over. Cop didn't want to give me a speeding ticket but wanted me to pull off my front tint ON THE SPOT. So I did.

Other than that. NorCal cops never gave me a reason for tints in the front.
Old 04-24-16, 09:28 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
^^^^ with u on this... I've had prob about 8 cars and the only ones i left stock was the mercedes and the infiniti... And thats only because the mrs. drives them mostly. My dailys have to be modified somehow
Almost 4 years later and I have zero intentions on lowering my 2006 LS430 lol... Stock wheels and suspension and just got this baby running like it came out the factory. Solid for another 100k
Old 04-25-16, 07:31 AM
jackies
Rookie

I think it's more of a personal choice. I, personally, like to modify everything around me. I think people who can live with the fact that their stuff is unmodified and is all stock and is the same as the next guy's and doesn't reflect their unique personality... well, they are the ones that have to live with that. I can't.
Car is something I use every day, and any time I come near it I be like, eww, stock!
No, can't do that.

Last edited by jackies; 04-25-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 08:33 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jackies
I think it's more of a personal choice. I, personally, like to modify everything around me. I think people who can live with the fact that their stuff is unmodified and is all stock and is the same as the next guy's and doesn't reflect their unique personality... well, they are the ones that have to live with that. I can't.
Car is something I use every day, and any time I come near it I be like, eww, stock!
No, can't do that.
Plenty of modified women in my office, in my neighborhood, ..who needs stock
Old 04-25-16, 11:26 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've modified almost every car I've owned since 1996 not against it at all. There are however some people that may have a car like the LS430 that truly enjoy it's original stage and can still appreciate a tastefully modified LS430. I could go air and address all of the components with the swipe of a card but it doesn't reflect that I'm unique I just spent money that's all.

Again I'm not against it I'm just not doing it to this purchase not yet anyways. I respect those who do it properly though which is beyond just installing coilovers. Some of the posts in the last five pages preaching to lower it have the same members asking basic maintenance and modification questions in other posts
Old 04-25-16, 11:26 AM
tkblazer
Rookie

My LS is the first car that I have own in which I have not promptly ruined by lowering and adding bigger wheels. I have had 20" wheels and coilovers in the garage for almost a year now since I enjoy the ride of the car so much. That being said, I am going to throw on the coilovers and wheels once I get some free time this coming month.
Old 04-25-16, 01:31 PM
jackies
Rookie

I also agree that the ride in the stock form is most delightful, but on this board it should go without saying really - it's the primary reason everyone on here bought a LS430!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why do people lower the 430?