LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 02:33 PM
PoBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
The Toyota/Lexus windshields will crack if a rock strikes the windshield within about an inch of the edge. That area is under tremendous stress. When a rock hits far enough away from the edge, the windshield slightly flexes to absorb the impact. But near the edge, the glass takes all the impact. I lost 3 windshields in 3 years on my LX (each time, replaced w/ OEM glass). The first time, a rock hit about 1 inch from the PS vertical center edge and cracked about 1.5 ft long. The second strike was just below the wiper blades in the center bottom, again about 1 in from the edge. It resulted in a 12" long crack up the center. BTW, the first windshield cost $1K out the door. Exactly one year later, the second windshield cost $1.2K. Exactly one year after that, the third windshield cost $1.5K. At that time, the SM at the dealer said he just replaced a windshield on a LS430, costing almost $1.7K. That was 2 yrs ago, so I suspect a LS 430 OEM windshield to run $2K easy. BTW, you want someone who is familiar with the LS windshield to replace it since, like the LX, it has rivets on the side (unusual for a windshield). Many people on the LX/landcruiser forum have gone aftermarket to save money, only to find either their windshields leaked afterwards, the mouldings didn't sit flat and whistled in the wind, or in some cases, the installer had difficulty removing the old glass and scratched, bent the body metal around the windshield. The dealers don't do the installations themselves. Rather, they contract out to a glass shop that is familiar with their models. If you could find out which glass shop they use, you could probably save 50% on the labor (IIRC, the labor was around $300 through the dealer). But that's only $150 out of $1500, or 10% savings. The bulk of the cost is in the parts...$1K for the glass alone, plus mouldings, rivets, rain sensor, etc.
Interesting. I'll bear all that in mind as I plan to start the process tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 02-07-11, 02:22 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously the claims process will run it's coarse, but most policy language reads such that the insurance carrier will use aftermarket if it's available, allowing them to pay less when it works and is available.

Rates on luxury cars are set so using factory parts when needed or insisted upon is no actuarial surprise. Most carriers will allow the replacement of OEM on these cars.

As to the poor experience with Safelite sited above, my experience is very good with them over the long haul. I'm sure there are the occasional bad actors in every company. The installation is usually always done by companies like them, it's just the actual glass with all it's bells and whistles that must be ordered from the manufacturer. Even those are made as needed in most cases by, guess who...
Old 02-08-11, 04:05 PM
combres
Rookie

I had safelite install my windshield. I had usaa and they sent them out. I had to pay out of pocket ~$430 since my ded is $500. I investigated this so called oem glass and didn't find many differences between high quality US made glass from PPG. I went for the PPG glass and throughly satisfied. I suspect that the lexus oem glass is the same thing with lexus stamped on it.

I was impressed with safelite as a company. They are pretty high tech, have a digital signature thing for the receipt in the truck, a special lever contraption that allows 1 guy to install the windshield (think suction cups cantilevered from the drivers side). The glue they use has to be heated to a certain temperature and he had to use 1.5 tubes. They even replaced the rain sensor.

It wasn't worth the headache to go through insurange to get oem glass for $2k, imho.
Old 02-08-11, 07:13 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

You sound like you are good to go. Don't go to a car wash for a good week just to play it safe. If you don't have any wind noise, and your rain sensor is working well, you will be just fine. Sounds like they did a good job.
Old 01-15-13, 08:36 PM
Retperio
Driver School Candidate

Default windshield cracked by a rock or other type of hard object

I was driving in West Texas last week on a two lane road and a car passed from the other direction and I heard a very loud impact on the windshield. Later I discovered that something had impacted the windshield on the driver's side lower corner. In the next few days the crack grew and is now about a foot + long. I don't see a star burst pattern anywhere. It's possible that someone in the car that passed threw a rock but I didn't see that due to the speed of both cars. I think I will have to replace the glass but am afraid that it will happen again and again. The glass that's in there now is not OEM so if may not be the first one to be replaced since the car is used and this was it's maiden voyage with me. Will there be a danger in waiting to replace the glass? Retperio