newbie from oversees

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 06:48 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi AlexusAnja,

Thanks for your comment.
The Dutch roads in built up areas are not as wide as I would like.
Most city centers are a nightmare and in very old cities it is almost impossible to drive with a large car. The 5 inches extra width and 2 foot extra length takes it over the edge of relaxed driving in the city.
If you stick to the larger (connecting) roads, no problem at all.
Industrial areas present no problem, since the roads are laid out for trucks.
The parking spaces are, without exception, very very small.
The same applies to the space in (underground) parking garages.
Even in recently constructed parking lots I cannot always fit my car (which is not exceptionally large) within the length of the space.

The Renault is of the same width as the LS430 (1 cm difference), but the LS is about a foot longer, which certainly is not a boon.
On the highway this makes no difference of course, but in the cities it is a pain in the a**.
With the Renault I already frequently have to look for a different parking space, while a "normal" sized (i.e. compact) car could easily had find a place.

The average car in NL is very small compared to what you are accustomed to.
The LS is one of the larger cars over here, although some Mercs have about the same size or are even longer and wider. But that size is rare.

You certainly are right about the side support. I experience it in the same way. Unfortunately in this segment all cars have leather upholstery. Which I think is totally unsuitable to sit on. It looks terrific, but f.i. an Alcantara seat (cover) definitely gives a lot more "grip". And, as a bonus, is less cold in winter and less hot in summer.
The Renault does have luxurious seats, but at the time I had to look for a long time to find a non-leather one. Never regretted it though.
But, again, not much choice these days.

Best wishes,
Jac