LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

OMG I am so mad at the dealer right now

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 09:22 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG I am so mad at the dealer right now

So I was having them level my air ride. Was a bit off when I got the CPO.

First visit. They swap the front height sensors and it is pretty close, maybe .25 inches off and they say thats as close as it gets. I say F it and figure I'll get used to it. After a week or so, I can't take it anymore.

Second visit (yesterday). They say I have to pay cash because "adjustments" are not warranty items. I say whatever, but if I'm paying cash for this, I want it DEAD ON 28 inches all the way around. They take the car and say it might be a couple days. They finish same day. I pick it up, but the pickup area is not level, so I pay and trust them.

Today. I measure the car in the garage and it is more than twice as bad as before. They lowered the low side even more, but the high side seems untouched. I call them and ask what they were doing and what the problem is. He tells me that they don't want to work on my car anymore. It is too much of a hassle and they can't spend that much time on it. I was PAYING CASH. It's not like this is warranty work that has a time limit. I am so Fing pissed right now. Those incompetent idiots just told me to go F myself because they don't feel like doing it.

I already called CPO, Lexus Dealer Service, and the GM of this dealership to express my criticism of this unbelievably selfish dealership. So now on to the real problem... I need to get my car leveled out. I guess I have to do it myself, since the next closest dealer to THE IDIOTS AT LEXUS OF TOLEDO is Dayton or Ann Arbor. Was considering having Ann Arbor do it, but I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen.

I just can't believe they told me that they are not interested in doing the work. They can go F themselves. I'll never do a single dollar worth of business there again.
Old 12-15-10, 10:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am relieved after reading your post because i struggled with setting my height the same on all 4 corners for 1.5 years and debated bringing it to the stealership to pay them to try. i knew they would try to replace the sensors and not actually fix my issue so i never tried. if you search on this forum you will find tons of different comments on here about how to do it, some of the more pissed off sounding ones may be from me

it is very difficult to get all 4 equal on this 04-06 ls430UL, some say impossible. i got mines about as good as it was gonna get one day and i just left it alone but it was always on the back, nah front of my mind almost always while driving it. the car has what some have referred to it as a gangsta lean stock (UL that is). don't f with the rear if it has never been touched, just play around with the fronts, but know this

one of the fronts controls more than just its height (it controls other heights as well for other wheels; not sure which) and the front left has fewer threads as i recall so it adjusts more drastic per turn of the screw if you will than the front right which adjusts less per turn... those are all the tips i can give you at this time.
Old 12-15-10, 11:38 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would make a calm and reasoned request to the service manager that they return the car to the condition it was in when you dropped it off (within .25") at no additional charge. Hmm, maybe this is why I don't remember Lexus of Toledo on the Elite of Lexus list.
Old 12-15-10, 12:01 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would request your money back and call it a day. Do not let them do anymore work on your car.
Old 12-15-10, 12:04 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
So I was having them level my air ride. Was a bit off when I got the CPO.

First visit. They swap the front height sensors and it is pretty close, maybe .25 inches off and they say thats as close as it gets. I say F it and figure I'll get used to it. After a week or so, I can't take it anymore.

Second visit (yesterday). They say I have to pay cash because "adjustments" are not warranty items. I say whatever, but if I'm paying cash for this, I want it DEAD ON 28 inches all the way around. They take the car and say it might be a couple days. They finish same day. I pick it up, but the pickup area is not level, so I pay and trust them.

Today. I measure the car in the garage and it is more than twice as bad as before. They lowered the low side even more, but the high side seems untouched. I call them and ask what they were doing and what the problem is. He tells me that they don't want to work on my car anymore. It is too much of a hassle and they can't spend that much time on it. I was PAYING CASH. It's not like this is warranty work that has a time limit. I am so Fing pissed right now. Those incompetent idiots just told me to go F myself because they don't feel like doing it.

I already called CPO, Lexus Dealer Service, and the GM of this dealership to express my criticism of this unbelievably selfish dealership. So now on to the real problem... I need to get my car leveled out. I guess I have to do it myself, since the next closest dealer to THE IDIOTS AT LEXUS OF TOLEDO is Dayton or Ann Arbor. Was considering having Ann Arbor do it, but I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen.

I just can't believe they told me that they are not interested in doing the work. They can go F themselves. I'll never do a single dollar worth of business there again.
Sorry to hear that. I normally use the Ann arbor dealer and have nothing but good things to say. My SA is friendly and honest. Overall Ann arbor Lexus is a good benchmark of how business should be done. He entire staff is friendly and they are careful with your car. I've never had air suspension done there before (I don't have a UL) so I can't really say. Call them ahead of time, if they assure you they can do it then I think it's a good bet.
Old 12-15-10, 02:12 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

small claims court,take pictures and file a claim.
Old 12-15-10, 05:44 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

The GM was out today. He will be back tomorrow, at which time I will request my money back for services not performed. There is absolutely no shot of me ever returning to that dealership for any form of work whatsoever.

In the meantime, I filed a complaint with Lexus and they took a whole statement from me and stuff and said they would call me back in 2-3 days. I also informed CPO of the issue and requested a reply in regard to them putting on parts under warranty and then not setting them properly. If the GM will not refund my money tomorrow, I am going to dispute the charge with LFS, since I used a Lexus card to pay for it.

The money is the secondary concern, though. I found some threads in the FAQ section stickied at the top of this section that have very good pictures and descriptions of how to do it. I am going to see if I can find a heated workspace and try to do it on my day off. Ventilation is the problem, as my garage is heated, but the car needs to run for a few minutes after each adjustment, if I am reading it correctly. It would be nice to find some of those exhaust hoses that run out of the garage so I can put them on the car and work inside.

Actually, the money is the third concern. Second to getting the car leveled out, I now have no local dealership or service department. I guess I will be trying out Ann Arbor Lexus (less than 1 hour away) or getting my service done in Chicago when I visit my relatives. That is just a super pain in the A, though.
Old 12-15-10, 06:30 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Where are you in 419? (I grew up in that area code.) The AA dealer is closest to me, but the Lansing dealership (owned by the same folks) is more convenient to work. I've been pleased with the Lansing folks, except that their Toyota store is being rebuilt so all the Toyota service and sales customers are clogging up the Lexus store.
Old 12-15-10, 06:34 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

I'm in Ottawa Hills, a suburb of Toledo. We used to have the same thing here, when Toyota and Lexus were essentially attached, but Lexus moved down the road into its own building several years ago.
Old 12-15-10, 06:46 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Yep, I know the area. My sister lived in Perrysburg for about 30 years.
Old 12-15-10, 07:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I know you justifiably upset but I would suggest a different play when you meet with the GM at your local dealer. I would not burn the bridge with your local Lexus dealer. Instead tell the GM that you are frustrated with this recent episode but that you badly want to remain a customer there if they will be reasonable and do right by you on this issue. Be prepared to compromise a little if they also agree to keep working until the car is absolutely right.

You are dealing with individuals at any business, so I switching individuals you deal with rather than writing off the dealership which is convenient and local to you. Politely ask the GM to recommend someone in the service department that you can personally work with to get your problem resolved and to work with in the future.

I suggest playing a little politics with the GM and leverage the escalation to management to your advantage if possible. If the GM agrees, you can make that play work for you. I think that anytime you pull in there for service in the future the service staff will be extra careful that you are satisfied with the work performed. But if this doesn't work then you have to write them off, it just sounds like a hassle to have to travel further for service.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-15-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 08:13 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Totally feel your pain as UL model seem to have mind of it own. Even after I'm shorten the rod, its level when measure but after driving, the car adjust by itself and one side off a bit. I'm somewhat happy where I'm at and suggest that before touch anything, try put car on "High" mode then drive for short distance then put back "Normal", continue drive for a day or two to see if the car settle.......this help me and got this from LS430 manual PDF file. If the dealer don't work out then another option is try to find an independent shop around your area.
Old 12-16-10, 08:38 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Took the day off work, as that seemed to be my best option to just do it myself instead of have them continue to mess it up or take it to Ann Arbor. It's not even noon and I have the car within 1/16 of an inch all the way around. Decided to set it at 27.5 inches instead of 28.

Thank you for the good advice Sojah. The right front sensor adjustment seems to affect both sides, and the left front seems to only affect that corner. After figuring that out, I set the RF first, then the LF, then the rears.

Also of great help was the pictures and post by airtime in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3285291-post30.html

The bar in the picture for the fronts will locate itself to the center position in the pic (2). If you want to lower the car, turn the rod so that the sensor arm drops in relation to the fixed portion. If you want to raise it, turn the rod so that the sensor arm moves upward from the center spot. The rears work the same way. No lift needed, everything is easily reachable by turning the wheels like airtime mentioned.

You can leave the locknuts loose while you make adjustments, and tighten them down after all the wheels are correct. The only tool required is a 10mm wrench. The rods spin freely once the locknuts are backed off. The wheel camber affects the measured height, so turn the wheels back to straight each time you start the car and measure the height. Once all are correct, tighten all the locknuts and drive around the block. Minor adjustments may be needed after driving.
Old 12-16-10, 02:36 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, having seen my link in a while Ty419, are you trying to level the car when its parked or when you are driving it?
Old 12-16-10, 04:29 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by airtime
... are you trying to level the car when its parked or when you are driving it?
LOL I'm trying to figure out how you adjust the rod while rolling down the street.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: OMG I am so mad at the dealer right now