LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power Steering Fluid maintenance vs. flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 10:58 AM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

I think Ricklin was referring to something like this. I bought one a couple years ago and it's been wonderful! Much cleaner and easier than draining into a pan and worth every penny. It can be used for engine oil, trans fluid, PS fluid, differential fluid, as it's both an evacuator and a dispenser. May be a bit overkill for PS fluid, since were on that topic with this thread, but if you have one I guarantee you'll use it instead of a turkey baster. Oil changes are an absolute dream but you do still have to crawl under to change the filter...
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
CSA (06-25-20)
Old 01-08-19, 07:20 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
I think Ricklin was referring to something like this. I bought one a couple years ago and it's been wonderful! Much cleaner and easier than draining into a pan and worth every penny. It can be used for engine oil, trans fluid, PS fluid, differential fluid, as it's both an evacuator and a dispenser. May be a bit overkill for PS fluid, since were on that topic with this thread, but if you have one I guarantee you'll use it instead of a turkey baster. Oil changes are an absolute dream but you do still have to crawl under to change the filter...
I have always wonder, like our car, it is not designed to have oil change using these type of pumps. How does that work, lets say for engine oil? Do you manage to get all of the oil just like draining the oil pan? If not, how much do you leave in the pan?

For differential and transmission fluid, you still have to crawl under the car right? So the difference between using this pump or not, is unscrewing the drain bolt.
Old 01-08-19, 08:08 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by BCT
I have always wonder, like our car, it is not designed to have oil change using these type of pumps. How does that work, lets say for engine oil? Do you manage to get all of the oil just like draining the oil pan? If not, how much do you leave in the pan?

For differential and transmission fluid, you still have to crawl under the car right? So the difference between using this pump or not, is unscrewing the drain bolt.
This isn't a sales pitch you can of course choose not to buy one but I will continue to enjoy the convenience this wonderful tool provides.
As to leaving residual oil in the pan-
If your trans has a dipstick you are golden, if not you extract / dispense from the fill hole on the side of the trans which is accessed from under the car.
I still have a drain pan in my garage but I often look at it and wonder why I haven't thrown it away...
Old 01-09-19, 09:22 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

This isn't a sales pitch you can of course choose not to buy one but I will continue to enjoy the convenience this wonderful tool provides.
As to leaving residual oil in the pan- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1LmBpynJc
If your trans has a dipstick you are golden, if not you extract / dispense from the fill hole on the side of the trans which is accessed from under the car.
I still have a drain pan in my garage but I often look at it and wonder why I haven't thrown it away...
I understand it is not a sales pitch and not trying to start a debate about this. I was asking honest question about your convenience wonderful tool. Thanks for the video, but it is a Jeep in the video, so does not really answer the question if using this tool can get all of the oil from LS engine.
Old 01-09-19, 09:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT

When it comes to fluid, I'm ok with getting under the vehicle, and am fine without the tool. I know many here don't agree and don't follow, but for diff and trans it's necessary for the vehicle to be level (again I've seen pics where vehicles are on ramps here). If we're talking the so-called "sealed" tranny a fluid pump is needed...I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone saw my $6 HFT one lol
Old 01-09-19, 11:41 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by BCT
I understand it is not a sales pitch and not trying to start a debate about this. I was asking honest question about your convenience wonderful tool. Thanks for the video, but it is a Jeep in the video, so does not really answer the question if using this tool can get all of the oil from LS engine.
Yes I understand and I'm not looking to debate either. You're afraid the tube couldn't make it down into the lower oil pan to reach all the fluid. Per the Svc Manual there is already a 1.6 liter discrepancy betweeen a dry fill (6.1L) and a drain and fill w/ oil filter change (4.5L) so I understand your concerns. Maybe 911LE will see this and chime in as he recently removed both oil pans to replace his oil pump. I looked through his rather detailed thread and there appears to be a hole in the baffle plate allowing the dipstick to reach the lower pan. I'm also due for an oil change, I can extract the oil then pull the drain plug and see what happens...
Old 01-09-19, 11:54 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts

A few years go I tried using a fluid extractor like shown in posts 16 and 18 on my VW Passat for oil changes but it did not work well - unit either had a bad seal or else the tube would not go down far enough into the oil. Sucked more air than oil and made a mess. Drain plug method works for me.

I just completed a turkey baster 1 Qt flush of power steering fluid in the LS 430 over several days and its a pretty foolproof method and costs virtually nothing. I plan on doing a few more quarts of PS flush over the next month or two and should be good to go for a long time.
Old 01-09-19, 12:04 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think a reason for a fancy extractor is when fluid is very costly. Or one simply cares about the environment/waste to a very high degree. Example, CHF 11S used to be $30/liter. Maybe you don't want to do the drain/fill method that way. That's come down to maybe $16/liter online though.
Old 01-09-19, 02:55 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Yes I understand and I'm not looking to debate either. You're afraid the tube couldn't make it down into the lower oil pan to reach all the fluid. Per the Svc Manual there is already a 1.6 liter discrepancy betweeen a dry fill (6.1L) and a drain and fill w/ oil filter change (4.5L) so I understand your concerns. Maybe 911LE will see this and chime in as he recently removed both oil pans to replace his oil pump. I looked through his rather detailed thread and there appears to be a hole in the baffle plate allowing the dipstick to reach the lower pan. I'm also due for an oil change, I can extract the oil then pull the drain plug and see what happens...
Right. With my Land Cruiser, it is super easy due to high ground clearance, but not with the LS. I need to either get the ramps or floor jack out, then get the LS up so I can have access. If I can do it faster with the same result, that pump may worth the cost.
Old 01-09-19, 03:24 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Exactly!

Yes Bradland that's exactly what I am speaking of. I would also agree that Toyota does not design their engines to be drained in this manner. I have not used this method on my 4runner with the same basic engine as the LS. The small tube is great for sucking fluids out of PS reservoirs, brake masters, etc. The hand pump will generate a heck of a good vacuum. Might use it on the LS, I'll report back.
Old 01-11-19, 08:32 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a CTA Tool extraction & Filling pump which is $42.99 at Amazon. The part # is 7077. For smaller openings I’ll slip a smaller tube over the included tube to extract fluid(for example to extract power steering fluid). Since this doesn’t have an external air source I wouldn’t recommend it for engine oil extraction but it works well for other systems. Just make sure you disassemble it and clean with isopropyl alcohol to avoid cross/contamination of fluids.