LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help with replacing rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 06:15 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with replacing rear struts

Looking to replace the rear struts on my 04 LS430. The dealer said they're leaking and quoted me 1K to replace them. I'd like to see about doing this myself. Replacing the brakes was easy. Is this job much harder? Also, looking for a good diagram of the rear suspension to work with....
Old 07-22-10, 06:35 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last I checked though a pair of rear OEM air struts were $2200 a pair. If that's what is being replaced, I think the estimate is a deal~~!

Plus if it failed within warranty period, it and any other damages would be covered, while it will be all on your dime if you did it DIY.

Still if you insist, the rear struts are not too hard to replace on the Lexus OEM air suspension if you have previous suspension swap experience.
There's no compressors involved like dry steel springs, and it is pretty straight forward. Make sure you use all new fittings for the air lines though, and new bushings on various suspension parts so that the new strut can do its job of stabilizing the car without funny dynamic alignment changes.

Last edited by motohide; 07-22-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 06:44 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Maybe that was a quote for just one?? I can't see a Lexus dealer suggesting to replace just one. "...While we're there we should probably just replace both of them..." Do all 04 430's have the air ride struts? Or, is that an upgrade on the "Ultra" or something?....Thanks for the reply
Old 07-22-10, 07:15 PM
motohide
Pole Position

No only the "Ultra Package" LS400/430 have air suspensions along with a whole list of things that make up that $15,000 option. Other grades are all coil spring suspensions and is not equipped with height adjust-ability or variable damping.
Old 07-22-10, 07:42 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

So if I don't have the Ultra then the parts should probably be cheaper and the job a little less complicated? I've got the "sport suspension" package. I don't know if that makes a difference...
Old 07-22-10, 08:44 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 430Driver
So if I don't have the Ultra then the parts should probably be cheaper and the job a little less complicated? I've got the "sport suspension" package. I don't know if that makes a difference...
OOHHHhhh. Sorry I had mistakenly assumed you had air suspension. LOL My mistake. Yes, parts are significantly cheaper if you do not have air suspension.

Yeah standard and sport suspension packages are not all that different, and both are standard coil spring setup. The sport suspension pack uses a slightly higher valved strut and lower, stiffer coil by slight margin. To replace the rear strut you keep the original springs (or go aftermarket springs is you want it a tad lower for small price of about $250~400 extra.) and shocks themselves are about $350 for OEM or $150 each for aftermarket equivalent inserts.

Since the coils are compressed on the struts, you need a spring compressor to disassemble them once off the car. If you do not have proper tools or previous experience on replacing these, its best to let the dealer do it since there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you don't do it correctly.

For more than 1.5" drop though, a coil over system from aftermarket should be used to properly setup a shorter stroke suspension system with adjusted suspension travel (but that's another topic)

Also, anytime the suspension is disassembled to any degree, there will be a need to perform a four wheel alignment, which can only be done at dealer or properly equipped alignment shop. So even doing it yourself, the costs can add up a bit if you want it perfectly setup. Some argue that only rear alignment should be done with rear changes, I differ in saying that proper alignment of a double wishbone suspension should always include 'thrust angle' alignment that involves all four wheels in relation to each other.

A typical 4 wheel computer alignment runs from $100~$300 depending on the shop/dealer.
So if the dealer quote of $1000 includes all parts, labor and alignment job, I say its still a good deal unless you have all the necessary tools and resources to tackle it yourself.
Old 07-23-10, 06:56 AM
WB03LS430
Driver School Candidate

If you are replacing the rears you should replace the fronts at the same time they typically only last about 60,000 miles

I just had all 4 Struts replaced with KYB OEM parts, labor and taxes for $650 with a lifetime warrenty on the parts. this did not include alignment which I have a two year alignment agreement with the shop. Got the Great Ride Back!!!!!
Old 07-24-10, 06:25 AM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the ideas guys!
Motohide....You rock. Definately know your stuff. I like the idea of droping it and inch while I'm in there. How much of that smooth 430 ride will I loose with it though?
Old 07-24-10, 06:30 AM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WB03LS430
If you are replacing the rears you should replace the fronts at the same time they typically only last about 60,000 miles

I just had all 4 Struts replaced with KYB OEM parts, labor and taxes for $650 with a lifetime warrenty on the parts. this did not include alignment which I have a two year alignment agreement with the shop. Got the Great Ride Back!!!!!
$650 for everything!? I see you're in GA. Is this shop in the Atl metro area? The stealer is proud of their parts and labor....
Old 07-24-10, 07:41 AM
WB03LS430
Driver School Candidate

In the Suwanee area, the only time I go to the dealer is for parts. After the service guy told me that the 90k service would be $1800 but I would get a loaner for the day. they need to cover the cost of the free coffee and soda. found a repair shop that did all the items for $995 using Lexus parts.
Old 07-24-10, 03:27 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 430Driver
Thanks for the ideas guys!
Motohide....You rock. Definitely know your stuff. I like the idea of dropping it and inch while I'm in there. How much of that smooth 430 ride will I loose with it though?
It's a matter of personal preference, but most of the time when a car's ride gets intolerably harsh is when coil-over setup isn't designed well in terms of suspension stroke range and badly mixed damping rates with springs. Such bad designs frequently exhibit abnormal stroke where the suspension will actually run out of travel before the actual range of the arms and clearances, causing bucking and jolting.

Most "lowering springs" that are designed to mildly drop suspension ride height that are designed to alter the height cosmetically and improve performance slightly are designed with OEM dampers in mind, most often work well in tuning your suspension slightly.
They are not aggressively re-tuned so loss of comfort is minimal with about 10-20% increase in spring stiffness, just to take up the decrease in dynamic travel of the arms. 10-20% is very easy to live with and you and your passengers won't really feel much discomfort in normal driving.

Full height adjustable, fixed rate spring, coil-over setup is where most users run into trouble as it has a very high range of adjustment and therefore, it is easy to setup the system beyond the design of the suspension geometry bounds. For some, this is acceptable for massive decrease in height, or for very specific focus and use outside of street cars like competition/hobbies in motorsport venues. (Or more often, "pretending" to be so...which is also a hobby in itself these days
Old 07-24-10, 03:50 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do I hear you guys right. The struts on my 04 LS non ultra should be replaced very 60k? The KYB OEM struts are a good choice. Thanks
Old 07-25-10, 08:23 AM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

In the Suwanee area, the only time I go to the dealer is for parts. After the service guy told me that the 90k service would be $1800 but I would get a loaner for the day. they need to cover the cost of the free coffee and soda. found a repair shop that did all the items for $995 using Lexus parts.
Sweet. I'm in Dacula near Hamilton mill. Whats the name of the place?
Old 07-25-10, 08:49 AM
WB03LS430
Driver School Candidate

Tires Plus in Suwanee NOT in Buford off Hamilton Mill Rd the buford store is lost in space.
Old 07-26-10, 01:24 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Tires Plus in Suwanee NOT in Buford off Hamilton Mill Rd the buford store is lost in space.
Cool.... I'll check'em out. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Help with replacing rear struts