LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430....Experiences with Tanabe NF 210 and DF 210 springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 07:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
What struts did you go with? I hit my 174K on my beast... If I lower, it wont be on these struts.
Assuming your question is for me, I am on Lexus OEM sport suspension struts.
Old 02-10-10, 10:07 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Assuming your question is for me, I am on Lexus OEM sport suspension struts.
Well for anyone who has installed them. I would just like to know what they've bought. It might be a waste to put the NFs on struts with so many miles ( I replaced the front drivers side a month ago). Anyone have input on this?
Old 02-11-10, 07:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely buy new struts if you are installing the springs......
Old 09-11-10, 05:35 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between "OEM Euro Sport shocks" and KYB GR2

Originally Posted by BNR34
I converted my 05' LS430 UL from air suspension to the NF210 springs with OEM Euro Sport shocks, it is exactly what I am looking for. Sounds like you have the same preference as well. I didn't want coilovers for the exact reasons you stated, and most coilover's company don't sell each shock individually, you have to buy the entire suspension kit or have them rebuild every 30k~50k miles, it is a pain.

I picked the NF over the DF because like you said, the DF is only 0.2" lower on the rear, and mind you since the UL is heavier on the back, it brings down the NF just enough for the perfect rake look. I also don't want the DF's higher spring rate in fear of ruining the ride. The ride is perfect for me now, it rides pretty much the same as a stock sport suspension car, it is actually a hair less harsh because the stock sport suspension have firmer A-arm bushings that transmit more harshness from the road.

Initially when the springs was first installed, the car was sitting higher then I want, but after a few months, the springs settled down quite a bit more and the height is perfect now. It is slightly lower then most stock AMGs, which is exactly what I want

See pics of my car here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4973759-post1.html
I am about to pull the trigger on a NF210 + struts upgrade. I haven't decided on whether to go with the OEM Euro Sport or the GR-2 struts, though I am leaning toward GR-2's because of the kyb lifetime warranty and ~%20 difference in price. If the difference is minimal, I am fine. If the GR-2s kill my fide, it's obviously not worth it. From the comments I have gathered on the board, I am guessing that the GR-2 will be somewhat stiffer than the OEM Euros. Has anyone a/b compared setups with these two struts? My currently is all stock, 16" wheels with the original worn struts which seem to be a bit worn. I plan on staying with the 16". Ideally, I'd like to get rid of some of the boatiness while keeping a luxury ride. I realize these are opposing objectives, and realize I will have to sacrifice some of one to get the other. How the car looks from the outside means little to me, though the reduction in drag from the 1" drop is somewhat appealing.

Last edited by vollandt; 09-11-10 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 05:53 PM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, I am wanting to convert my 02 UL (120,000 miles) from air suspension to normal coils. I want to keep and maintain the closest ride quality compared to the air suspension. I dont really care about it being lowered or anything like that....Anyone have any recommendations on which struts, coils and shocks to buy. Can you get normal (ml, cl) OEM suspension parts from lexus? Thanks!
Old 10-24-10, 10:45 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the DF210 springs and OEM sport package shocks. My car came with the sport package , When i added the DF210 springs i almost think it softened the ride up just a little, I would go with the DF210s , It brings it down about an inch and keeps a nice soft ride.
Old 10-26-10, 05:11 AM
vollandt
Driver

I pulled the trigger on a set of swift springs and kyb struts and while i was at it, changed the lower control arm bushing as one of them was cracked. I still have the stock 16" wheels. The swifts spec is for a similar drop stiffness to the NF210 , but they claim some wiz bang technology in the metal they use and how the coils are wound. I have no idea if this is all hype, or if their technology realy gives them an advantage, but I can say that I like they the car feels much better than stock. I can tell that the car rides stiffer and handles much better. The wifey doesn't notice any difference - So far it's looking like a perfect upgrade. Also, I tend to run my whole family around in the LS, so figure 600 pounds of people. Especially when loaded up, the ride was just a little too sloppy for my taste with the stock suspension.
Old 10-31-10, 02:07 PM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

does having the sport coils or regular coils (non air) effect the actual ride volume at all? I like my ride as quiet as possible...
Old 11-01-10, 03:08 AM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by rizo1
does having the sport coils or regular coils (non air) effect the actual ride volume at all? I like my ride as quiet as possible...
Maybe this is obvioius - Any change in volume comes from going over the type of bumps that send noise through the car. A stiffer suspnsion will absorb less energy from bumps and so you should expect a relative increase in noise coming into the car.
Old 11-01-10, 09:01 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rizo1
I went from stock UL's air suspension to NF210 on OEM sport struts. Noticed zero increase in noise.

The UL is so heavily insulated though, it there is any increase in noise, it would be very hard to notice.
Old 02-22-11, 01:07 AM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know of any springs that lower the car more than an inch?
Like 1.5-2 inches?

I am considering the DF's but like slightly more of a drop than they offer.
Old 02-22-11, 02:19 AM
Dutchie101
Driver

Very happy with my DF210's. With an SS-kit (im having installed tomorrow) you will get the the best drop of 55mm without maxing out the struts or sus dynamics. Ill put pics up tomorrow if everything goes well..

Just for more info:

NF210 spring rates: F/R 4.3/2.9 Down 1.0/0.8
DF210 spring rates: F/R 5.3/3.8 Down 1.0/1.0

DF's are only slightly firmer than OEM, feel great and responsive, far better turn in, sharper braking also. Cant recommend them enough.
Old 02-22-11, 04:16 AM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I shall look into the SS kit then.......or maybe just buy yours when you finally decide bags are the way to go
Old 02-22-11, 04:19 AM
Dutchie101
Driver

K-Mac will also make custom springs if need be. Apparently they are top quality too.

PS, Tanabes are designed and rolled to not sag. Guaranteed.
Old 02-22-11, 08:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bfg23
Does anyone know of any springs that lower the car more than an inch?
Like 1.5-2 inches?

I am considering the DF's but like slightly more of a drop than they offer.
No one makes lowering springs for the LS430 that lower more then 1", I have done extensive research when I got my NF210.

I am perfectly happy with my NF210 btw.

If you want it lower more on springs, your only option is to get the SS-kit like Dutchie101 mentioned.

Quick Reply: LS 430....Experiences with Tanabe NF 210 and DF 210 springs